Rewiring a Mono/Stereo Mesa 2x12

nkri

I have a Mesa 2x12 horizontal rectifier cab (2FB) which I bought used several years ago. It has a non-standard wiring setup which is custom from the factory based on the jack plate:

F433bF2.jpg

oEqbwtF.jpg

kpbKVBZ.jpg

g1LAhz8.jpg

The previous owner swapped the original 4 ohm speakers for 8 ohm versions—hence the sticker indicating 16 ohms. Obviously, the stereo inputs are actually 8 ohms each, not 4 as the plate says.

The mono jack is wired in series, for a total impedance of 16 ohms. I want to rewire the jack in parallel (for a total impedance of 4 ohms) to take full advantage of my amp, while keeping the individual stereo jacks the way they are.

In the labeled pic, I've determined that A is tip (+), B is ground/sleeve (-), and C & D are each half of the normally open switch that closes when the plug is inserted.

If I understand correctly, swapping C & D would wire the speakers in parallel without changing the rest of the setup. Is this correct? I emailed Mesa about it but they weren't willing to help, and of course I don't want to do something stupid and blow up my transformer
icon_redface.gif

Thanks!
Dan

Back
Top Bottom