Reverse Delay: Hendrix "Are You Experienced" Intro and CHorus?

Hugomack

Experienced
I haven't got reverse delay sorted out at all.... Has anyone 'done' this Hendrix one? Seems like a single echo with short feedback., but does tap tempo come into trying to make it work live? How do you count yourself in - I can only do it by playing one beat ahead, but it's not great...

I'd also be interested in hearing how people use reverse delay when playing live. Maybe this is the wrong section for that....

Any reverse delay exerts out these please? Is this a Simeon speciality (along with everything else ambient and swirly...?).

yeah, the problem is that this was created in the studio by flipping the tape over. if i was going to do this song live, i wouldn't worry about using reverse delay on the intro, cos that would be a timing nightmare and playing it normally would give you the vibe just fine, but i would definitely use it for the solo!

Stock preset named "1969 all over again" will get you close. I'm not in front of my AxeFx right now but I think it's in bank A

Many thanks stink, I'll find it and have a go. Simeon: timing is what defeats me.... How would you make the solo work?

How would you make the solo work?

just play!

i'm not sure there's much point trying to recreate a note-for-note rendition....remember, this is blues at it's core, so play with feeling and conviction and try to be true to the spirit of the original and i'm sure you'll do it justice.

it is tricky though, playing through reverse delay, because what you're hearing is not actually connected with what you're playing, but stay focused on what you're doing and try not to be distracted too much by what you're hearing and with practice it's fine. use tap tempo if you have it, as it will help everything to lock together. try different tempo subdivisions from a whole note up to two bars to see what works best for you.

Couldn't agree more about not copying Hendrix note-for-note.... But thanks for the wisdom in reverse delay. I think the tap temp advice will make the difference for me.

"1967 All Over Again"....? I don't think things had changed that much in those two years - but I don't seem to be able to remember....

I always liked this version from EJ...
Eric Johnson - Are You Experienced?, Live At Austin - YouTube

Not sure what to suggest to you on mimicing the reverse.... I've heard this tune covered really well without the backwards guitar.. that would be my approach. Touch song to do justice to, IMO.

Hey thanks for the link - I'd forgotten about this version, which is brilliant - clean, beautiful and in the original key. Amazing modes.

My asking people how they work with reverse delay is because, even though I've only once used it (in "My WHite Bicycle"), I've never been comfortable with it.

As we've got it in the Axe, it makes sense to me to use - or at least to try.

Back
Top Bottom