Reverb site rant

Just an account number and a bank routing number for Reverb here. EBay has gone to this “direct pay” thing as well. They both send the money right to my account, less some exorbitant fees… but that’s another post.

No way would I give Reverb, or anyone else for that matter, passwords to my bank account. I’m pretty certain that it’s the Plaid app causing your grief, not Reverb.

So it was either comply with the above or lose $500 dollars so I went ahead but ya I will be changing my PW after it clears and bye bye reverb account

and since reverb only will payout through plaid, it is not just a Plaid problem but also a Reverb problem. Completely nuts.

So it was either comply with the above or lose $500 dollars so I went ahead but ya I will be changing my PW after it clears and bye bye reverb account

and since reverb only will payout through plaid, it is not just a Plaid problem but also a Reverb problem. Completely nuts.
Reverb doesn't only pay through Plaid. I've never even heard of Plaid before this thread. I dealt directly with Reverb and only had to supply the info as described above.

Reverb doesn't only pay through Plaid. I've never even heard of Plaid before this thread. I dealt directly with Reverb and only had to supply the info as described above.
I messaged customer service asking for any other option and they refused.

I messaged customer service asking for any other option and they refused.
Just went into my Reverb account and my bank info as described is available for me to edit. There is a button as an option to use Plaid. This is presented as an option only. Obviously, after this thread, I will not consider using that option.

It has, for better or worse, been the standard for selling items for a few years now. The item is shipped and then you get payment once the customer is satisfied - even if paypal is involved or not. Reverb's owner sold out to Esty and man did they have some real issues. Items would just show up returned even if they were not authorized. In some ways, it is better than paypal and others it is not. However, good banks these days have a fraud department and they keep track of unusual behavior on your bank account. I get alerts every time I buy something from overseas and sometimes it will get blocked with the extra security. It kind of is the way online guitar sales are going these days. Reverb is really the only place to buy something from as ebay has mostly shifted away from the used guitar market. If someone had some capital, they could create a more user-friendly site, but you would still have to deal with either paypal's return policy or create your own, in which case a bank could just do a reverse anyway.

As an aside, Reverb has gotten better from the early Esty days, and, while they are not perfect, things are improving.

There are 2300 used Gibson Les Pauls currently for sale on Ebay.
Agreed. I normally list music items on Ebay and Reverb, and its about 50/50 which one gets the sale first.

There are lots of options, and like others, been selling for years and never heard of Plaid before this thread.

@Tahoebrian5 - have you ever sold on Reverb before?

Since 2019 I have sold about $5k worth of stuff (Axe Fx II, a couple guitars, some effects).

The only thing I ever provided was bank account and routing numbers as would be needed for anyone to transfer money to my account.

There are 2300 used Gibson Les Pauls currently for sale on Ebay.
The issue on ebay from a sales standpoint is many instruments are not really accessible for people. So I don't know specifically about the LP's on ebay but I would guess many are being sold out of the Japanese market and those are usually above market value. That surely seems to be the case these days. The market in Japan is really sparked and therefore the cost has gone up. This is why reverb exists and tend to be the leader these days in sales. It is not so much the product isn't on ebay....

The issue on ebay from a sales standpoint is many instruments are not really accessible for people. So I don't know specifically about the LP's on ebay but I would guess many are being sold out of the Japanese market and those are usually above market value. That surely seems to be the case these days. The market in Japan is really sparked and therefore the cost has gone up. This is why reverb exists and tend to be the leader these days in sales. It is not so much the product isn't on ebay....
But, that's not really true either. I just did a search for Electric Guitars in US minimum price of $300 and 16,642 results were returned.

True, so looking at all brands instead of only Les Pauls, and only considering sellers located in north america, there are currently 7300 used electric guitars for sale on ebay. I don't believe it's true that Reverb is the only online marketplace where you can buy used guitars.

True, so looking at all brands instead of only Les Pauls, and only considering sellers located in north america, there are currently 7300 used electric guitars for sale on ebay. I don't believe it's true that Reverb is the only online marketplace where you can buy used guitars.
You must have some other filter on, because there's more than that in the US alone.

Nope it is not...

But, that's not really true either. I just did a search for Electric Guitars in US minimum price of $300 and 16,642 results were returned.
Depends on what you are looking for....and who you are as well....

Do a quick search for say a suhr modern or an es175 on both platforms and what happens is you will find guitars on both, but the market is heavily weighted on the ebay side toward the market in Japan/Cost. Reverb, you can actually find more independent sellers. It has been this way for a while. People used to sell on ebay, they just don't as much and as far as getting a used instrument closer to market, Reverb is "slightly" closer, right now. Now having said all of this, certain guitars are actually lower at guitar center because of the market they cater too....The other thing is some dealers jumped from Reverb when Esty bought them and went back to Ebay which also tends to drive up the ebay cost.

Now if I am looking at a 300 guitar then maybe ebay is the way to go....!

That's absolutely not true. I don't use Plaid, never heard of them, and pay and get paid through Reverb, without it.

Stop spreading rumors and stick to accurate statements and separate the app from the company. Reverb isn't behind this, Plaid is, so drop Plaid, change your password, and take it as a lesson learned.

Ya I have sold thousands worth of stuff over probably 7 years. This is a new to me thing as it always paid out into my PayPal in the past.

Back
Top Bottom