Retro Channel power amp

Very cool. Hopefully there will be a silk screen added to identify the knobs! ;) I wonder what the price point will be... might provide some competition to the Matrix....

Lance is a cool guy and a great player. I met him in L.A.
The Retro-Channel guys will in fact have an Axe-Fx II in their booth at NAMM :)

Cool! I have a Retro Channel RR1 and this amp is really great. We used it in the band room and live, too.

It would have been nice to have given some specs for the tech heads, namely wattage :ugeek
Indeed. Since Lance says it borrows some features from the RR1 I guess there might be two 100W solid state power amps working.

Guys,
Sorry...
Here is more info.
The amp is stereo (of course)
Works at 16, 8 or 4ohms.
Produces around 75 watts per channel at 4ohms.. Not at typcial solid state amp... the thing sounds like a tube amp and is LOUD at 4ohms with 2 cabs.

Think pair of 1968 50 watt Marshall loud.
I A/B'd with a very loud vintage 50 watt amp and each side keeps up well.

Plenty of clean headroom.

Being solid state you don't have to use both sides, or even load both sides.

It will drive up to 4 16ohm 4-12 cabs per side (my favorite)..

The controls will of course be labeled for the ones we sell :)

We are still working out the retail price but will announce that at NAMM and post here.

We will indeed have my personal AXEFX2 in the rack at the Retro Channel booth at NAMM.

I am using and loving the AXE2 and having a blast programming.
I could live in the Wreck program I set up but am having fun with the AC30 stuff as well as the Dumbles.
LOVE THE TAPE ECHO...

Last edited:
Totally legit power amp - really like the look (though I imagine the silkscreening will make it even cooler) and the weight. The tone and features like that... for a solid state amp? Cool.

Does it have a fan Lance?

Scott
It does not have a fan. We have rigged it to not require one.
Dead quiet.

The popular Matrix power amp has a fan; and around these here parts fan noise is a damn touchy subject. ;) :D

Should be very interesting.

The 11Rack/KPA/Line6/Digitech/Vox/Zoom guys that love power amps and traditional cabs also need to be on your hit list.

Power amp modelling is off on the Axe-FX? That's really unusual for use with a ss power amp - is it designed to mimic 'tube power amp' type breakup characteristics? Does it work as well with the Axe-FX power amp sims on?

Lance, Have you done any testing with FR cabs yet? I'm sure the FR camp would like to know how it works in this capacity with the amp and cab sims on.

It is designed to sound just like a Tube power amp.
It is relatively passive sounding with the input level at lower levels. What goes in comes out.
At higher levels it sags and has even order harmonic distortion like a tube power section driven hard.
It would be like running your AXEFX into the power amp return of two strong tube heads.

I have tried it with the power amp sims on and off and it works well in either mode.
The good thing is that you can experiment with what works best for you.
I use it with the power amp and speaker sims off.
I drive the front end of our amp a bit and run through a pair of 2-12's with high wattage Alnico speakers.

Guys we will be at NAMM Booth #2593... anyone that would like to drop by and play a AXEFX2 through our power amp is welcome to do so.

Reactions: jon
It's cool to see Lance here on the digital side. His demo of the Tone King Metropolitan pretty much sold that amp to me. The TK is the last modern tube amp I'd part with.

I agree with the Wrecker assessment. I've done whole blues/rock gigs on a preset based off that amp. I'll be interested to hear this amp (though I'm deeply in love with my new Rcf nx12 that arrived fully functional and with the right power cord, but wrong cover;-).

Last edited:
Guys,
Sorry...
Here is more info.
The amp is stereo (of course)
Works at 16, 8 or 4ohms.
Produces around 75 watts per channel at 4ohms.. Not at typcial solid state amp... the thing sounds like a tube amp and is LOUD at 4ohms with 2 cabs.

Think pair of 1968 50 watt Marshall loud.
I A/B'd with a very loud vintage 50 watt amp and each side keeps up well.

Plenty of clean headroom.

Being solid state you don't have to use both sides, or even load both sides.

It will drive up to 4 16ohm 4-12 cabs per side (my favorite)..

The controls will of course be labeled for the ones we sell :)

We are still working out the retail price but will announce that at NAMM and post here.

We will indeed have my personal AXEFX2 in the rack at the Retro Channel booth at NAMM.

I am using and loving the AXE2 and having a blast programming.
I could live in the Wreck program I set up but am having fun with the AC30 stuff as well as the Dumbles.
LOVE THE TAPE ECHO...

What amp class type is?.. AB? D? thanks ;)

Back
Top Bottom