Replicating the Helix Glitch Delay on Axe3

I haven't done a deep dive on glitch pedals but I would think you could get something on the ballpark putting a sequenced volume block after a crystals type effect.

haha! That's kind of amazing. What a blast from the past!
His acclaimed Green Oak series of plugin effects was followed by the Crystal software synthesizer

I used that quite heavily on all my stuff, a few years after I left school!

Gotta be honest, wasn't expecting this wish/request/desire to go down that well over here. Guess that shows me what I know!

I kept a few pedals after diving in with Fractal.

Well... more than a few... but mostly due to hoarding...

Regardless, one I kept that actually gets use is the Red Panda Particle 2 for this sort of thing.

Can be had relatively cheaply used and really does fill a gap in the Fractal's capabilities.

There’s some glitch specific pedal builders offering cool stuff - look up Drolo for example.

Im hoping one day we’ll see it. I have experimented with lfo-controlled MTD and such but it isnt the same sound.

I'll throw my glitch wish into the hat as well. Simeon gets us close. but at any given time, I still have a few on my board:
bananana mandala, drolo stamme[n], hexe revolver, KOG mini-glitch, MASF Raptio, etc, etc.... a glitch block would be sooooo welcome!

I bet you could do some weird stuff by combining modifiers on various block controls and LFOs and maybe a couple parallel paths and mixer blocks. But now you're dedicating multiple blocks and a complex setup to replicate it unfortunately.

haha! That's kind of amazing. What a blast from the past!

I used that quite heavily on all my stuff, a few years after I left school!

Gotta be honest, wasn't expecting this wish/request/desire to go down that well over here. Guess that shows me what I know!
I think most of us got over the often meaningless comparisons of rival products.... isn't that what The Gear Page is for ? 🤨 :D
It's a good effect - inherently creative - I have a reason to power up my Helix again - thanks.
And Omnisphere remains the definitive VST for me.👍

Last edited:
I think most of us got over the often meaningless comparisons of rival products.... isn't that what The Gear Page is for ? 🤨 :D
It's a good effect - inherently creative - I have a reason to power up my Helix again - thanks.
And Omnisphere remains the definitive VST for me.👍
Some comparisons are meaningless, others can be quite meaningful. It really just depends on the context and how thoroughly it is presented I suppose. I was more talking about how forums tend to draw in people of a certain character. Ahem. Consider my cynicism mildly assuaged!

Some comparisons are meaningless, others can be quite meaningful. It really just depends on the context and how thoroughly it is presented I suppose. I was more talking about how forums tend to draw in people of a certain character. Ahem. Consider my cynicism mildly assuaged!
it's just the fanboy stuff that grates occasionally but we are all different.... and bias is bound to exist.
It's good to see a forum that deals with stuff , including comparisons / references to other products but also readily supports a "wish list" for the possibility of yet more bonus features.
Like many here I have tried most of them, follow new developments but I always come back to the Fractal environment. And to be honest I'm not entirely sure why - it just seems more musical.

And to be honest I'm not entirely sure why - it just seems more musical.
For me it comes down to how much more capable the Axe is when compared to a lot of the other units. It doesn't hurt that it sounds great too. I pretty much consider the Axe3 and Helix to be the current pinnacle of amp modelling and multi-effects technology. Everything else either doesn't have the feature set, or doesn't sound as good - IMHO.

And I've owned about 6 Kempers since 2011 🤣

"So you've got a digital delay.... you set a time value .... and the algorithm from what I can tell ... divides that buffer up based on the delay division parameter. These slices have their own feedback value, and the playback order of them can be shuffled, you can bring in an octave up+down shift effect in there somewhere too... and also a reverse delay. The internal sequencer can be set to drift, and the whole thing can be smoothed out to create these really dense textures."

there isn't anything in the axe that can do this atm, but this is exactly the sort of thing that i've been asking for for years. if the helix can do it, maybe cliff can have a look at how it does it and figure out a new algo for the fractal.

I bet you could do some weird stuff by combining modifiers on various block controls and LFOs and maybe a couple parallel paths and mixer blocks. But now you're dedicating multiple blocks and a complex setup to replicate it unfortunately.

this is why I would really, really, really, love a dedicated glitch block... right now it's so much easier to just plug in a pedal.

It's not quite the same, but can you hook up a modifier to the appreciator block, maybe you can randomlize the appregiator mode which would give some nice glitchy effects?

It's not quite the same, but can you hook up a modifier to the appreciator block, maybe you can randomlize the appregiator mode which would give some nice glitchy effects?

I've done this and similar things and they can be cool and useful.

Using modifiers on the motor speed of the mono tape delay, while in Hold (ie a loop of sorts) can be all sorts of glitchy fun.

Still though, it isn't the same as a granular delay. Fortunately it's super easy to add one to a preset via Out/In 3 and 4.

Back
Top Bottom