Renting out FM3, is it Silly ???

Jackyll0220

Vendor
Is it silly to contemplate renting out my FM3 ?
$50 for Couple weeks at a Time
Chicago area

Last edited:
Given they aren’t exactly that expensive and the resale value is very good, I would think most people would rather buy a used one for $900, use it for a few weeks, then sell it for $900…

Unless you rented it for something silly cheap like $30/week, can’t see anyone paying 50% the retail cost for a rental period. And if your just making $30/week hardly seems worth it on your end….

Given they aren’t exactly that expensive and the resale value is very good, I would think most people would rather buy a used one for $900, use it for a few weeks, then sell it for $900…

Unless you rented it for something silly cheap like $30/week, can’t see anyone paying 50% the retail cost for a rental period. And if your just making $30/week hardly seems worth it on your end….
I was thinking $50 for couple weeks
I was just throwing it out there,
My FM9 is In-Transit as we speak

Chicago area
I'm not sure how useful it'd be. Fractal has a 15-day money-back guarantee, so people can try them and return them if they don't like the unit which'd short-circuit your idea.

He said $50, not $500 (unless the post was edited) ;)

I'm not sure how useful it'd be. Fractal has a 15-day money-back guarantee, so people can try them and return them if they don't like the unit which'd short-circuit your idea.
True, minus Shipping costs ( to you and back )
It was just a thought lol…… before I bought my FM3 I wish I knew someone that had so I could try

But that requires a purchase, waiting for shipping, dealing with a return within 15 days, etc

Renting it out isn't completely risk free, even if you're not shipping it. Getting peanuts in return doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but then again, neither would renting one for a lot of money.

I'm not seeing a lot of working room in between for you to get this side hustle going. But who knows, maybe I'm full of it, and the world really needs RentAModeler.

What recourse do you have if it comes back smashed up or not at all?

If the guy renting it says “sorry got a beer poured on it” is he also going to say “I’ll pay for repair or replacement?”

Do you make them put down a full value deposit up front ? Will a renter be willing to do that ? Can they just not return it in that case since they paid for the thing already ?

Lot of risk/downside letting people borrow your stuff, even when it’s good friends lol.

When your dealing with strangers really has to ask yourself is $50 worth the risk of having a $500 repair bill etc ?

Hey, if the guy wants to try it out and is willing to pay you for it - and you're willing to let him have it for a period of time, what the heck, why not help him out.

I could see this working similar to how music stores rent out back line equipment. I would definitely require some kind of deposit in case it gets wrecked. All it takes is one beer! Ask me how I know.

What recourse do you have if it comes back smashed up or not at all?

If the guy renting it says “sorry got a beer poured on it” is he also going to say “I’ll pay for repair or replacement?”

Do you make them put down a full value deposit up front ? Will a renter be willing to do that ? Can they just not return it in that case since they paid for the thing already ?

Lot of risk/downside letting people borrow your stuff, even when it’s good friends lol.

When your dealing with strangers really has to ask yourself is $50 worth the risk of having a $500 repair bill etc ?
True

yeah if you feel comfortable renting out your gear and have some deposit or security to cover the unit then why not make back some of the cost of the unit. like noted above, the industry pros rent stuff all the time. sometimes you may only need a piece of gear for a short stint.

Rent my gear to an out-of-work guitarist?!? :D :D :D Those are the worst!

Seriously see problems. You'd need lots of safeguards including a way to get reimbursed in case they disappear with your gear.

Why not? I rented a Kemper once to try it out ..
Because Fractal is only available at G66, it would have been great if I had the chance to rent it before buying it. Just for fun!
Also a great option if a touring band needs a local backup unit.

Chicago area

I wish I had a service like that when I went for holidays to my hometown in Spain and I was invited by my former band members to play in a gig. There was no amp for me. I could only borrow a guitar, so I purchased a Zoom MS50-G that I plugged directly to PA. I sold it later for a much lower price.

Regarding extra insurance for damages, you could ask to be invited to the gig as part of the deal. And take it back when the show is finished.

Last edited:
Love to see some viable options for financial safeguards. If you rent some piece of equipment from a retailer, they will get a credit card to be charged in the event of damages or theft. How should a private individual handle this? The reality is that if someone is renting something like this, then they most likely cannot easily afford to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom