RedWirez and OwnHammer IR's Live?

Nice tip, Yek !

It has to be with psico-acoustics, not sound itself. The volume is a variable that has a major rule in our ear's perception of sound. As you get louder, your ears (your ear sense, in your brain, not your ears themselves) get more sensible to bass and treble.

That's why lot of times you come with a beautiful tone at bedroom level that sounds like crap when going to a full-volume FOH, lot of highs and lows. I found myself lot of times enjoying my tone through my monitors and when I go down wearing my guitar and my wireless to check how it sounds through PA it's kind of shit, 'U' eq.

Different volume, different perception of tone even if the rest of variables are the same.

I'll try your solution Yek, and will tell you how it goes

The volume is a variable that has a major rule in our ear's perception of sound. As you get louder, your ears (your ear sense, in your brain, not your ears themselves) get more sensible to bass and treble.

Different volume, different perception of tone even if the rest of variables are the same.
IT's what is called the FM (Fletcher-Munson) effect! Basically - the human ears perceives sound differently at volume levels.
The OP is typical example of presets created a bedroom levels not translating well to gig volumes. Old, old problem~!

I'm in the same boat. I got the Ownhammer 4x12 collection last weekend and I am in the process of trying them out. I found I like the Mesa cabs the best with MA-200 or Fathead mics. I was amazed how smooth the IRs sounded. I am to the point of doing away with my 4x12 cab and getting a couple of passive atomics.

I just picked up the entire Ownhammer collection yesterday and am finding that those 2 mics are my favs so far.

So. . . how do in-ears play out in all of this?

I understand the need to adjust delay levels, tones, etc. for playing at gig levels. This needs to be done both for FOH and to monitor yourself on stage. However, if I go with in-ears with good isolation for stage monitoring, and keep them a reasonable level, will I not find my delays too hot and my tones off? Essentially, I will be listening to my guitar on stage at something closer to bedroom levels while FOH will hear me at gig levels.

Terry.

Terry,

I find all time based effects sound very different with IEM's vs. monitor wedges.

But, if you can dial in your patches on as flat a system as you have access to in the best room acoustically that you have access to, I think they translate better onto other systems.

The caveat being, you probably need quick access to reverb, delay, etc. mix levels in all your patches. These tend to change from gig to gig for me anyway depending on the room. Even the same room from night to night.

YMMV,
Richard

And if you want to take it further, Yek's link to that other thread talks about setting up two different mixes for your monitor vs. FOH.

So if you want your ambient efx mix to be way low for your IEM's you can still set the ambient fx mix different for FOH.

- Richard

Back
Top Bottom