Red Wirez Cab Impulses

Here's my *experience* with FRFR speakers.

1. When I mix music at home I sit directly in front on my Yamaha NS-10s.
When I sit off to the side of the speakers *they sound different*. Less bright, less direct, more muddy.
When I track and/or mix at a good studio we sit right in front of their hi-quality reference near field monitors.
Sitting off to the side sounds wrong.

2. When I'm out in the crowd at a show with a medium sized PA the speakers are always situated such that most of the audience is directly in front of them.
When I stand off to the side, *the sound is different*. Less bright, less direct, more muddy.

So, *in my experience* Jay's notion that an FRFR speaker sounds the same on-axis or off-axis is simply not true.

Now, with a stereo setup your ears are on-axis through-out a much wider compass than they are with a single speaker.
To get off-axis you pretty much have to get pretty far off-axis from both speakers.

3. When I run my Axe, in mono, through one of the 2 or 3 top of the line Yorkville powered monitors I've rented, or the Traynor and Roland keyboard amps I've rented; and I sit right in front of the speaker, the sound is too bright and harsh, just like it would be if I sat right in front of my guitar speaker. When I sit off-axis from the monitor is sounds much more musical.

Here's the thing...
As guitar players using real amps we've always listened to our rigs off-axis.
Even guys with Fender Twins using the tilt-back bars on the side to point the cab more toward their heads don't point them right at their heads. I.e. We never listen to guitar cabinets in the same orientation that we do when listening to near-filed monitors or PA speakers.

Yet, when we mix music we use near field monitors pointed right at our ears.
When we listen to our home stereos we're usually on-axis to the speakers.
When we go to a club the PA speakers are pointed right at our ears.
[The only time I can think of where I'm routinely off-axis when listening to a stereo is in the car.]
When we mic a guitar cabinet and mix it through near fields or a PA we try to make it sound as if we're standing off-axis from the guitar cab. We either mic slightly off-axis or use other mic'ing techniques and/or EQ to accomplish this. If guitar speakers were FRFR to begin with we wouldn't need to go through all of this.

But they're not. And if we want to capture the *feeling* of real guitar speakers through FRFR speakers we're going to have to try to make FRFR speakers behave more like guitar speakers, IMO. What we've been doing throughout the history of recorded music is the opposite of that. We've been trying to get guitar speakers to behave like FRFR speaker via our various mic'ing techniques.

Now, if an FRFR system could *really* reproduce the *feeling* of standing off-axis from a real guitar cab even though the FRFR speakers were on-axis to our ears, then IMO that might be a really wonderful thing. But I've never experienced that. The far field IRs some of you folks like to advocate here as a solution to this dilemma sound like shit to me. Maybe I just haven't found the right far-field IR yet. But based on what I've heard thus far the farfield IR idea does not hold much promise.

What I *have experienced* is getting a very decent convincing (but not perfect, of course) 'in the room' sound and feeling out of a cheap Traynor K1 keyboard amp with my Axe, by simply not pointing the Traynor at my head.

This business about how we should need near perfect FRFR speakers in order to get a decent 'in the room' feeling out of the Axe is bullshit. What we really need, IMO, are IRs that are better suited to the task.

When I run my axe through something like a Traynor K1 I should it expect it to sound just as good as a well recorded CD sounds like coming out out of that same speaker. With most of the stock IRs I can get that. So it stands to reason that the K1 isn't as all-out shitty as we might tend to think. But that's the sound of well-mic'd guitar speakers, not the sound of the guitar speaker itself.
The fact that I can get a K1 to sound and *feel* so much like a real guitar speaker by simply not pointing it at my head, as well as my experience with other FRFR systems, tells me that of Jay's notion that FRFR speakers sound the same on or off-axis is just wrong.

That's my *experience*.

joegold said:
1. When I mix music at home I sit directly in front on my Yamaha NS-10s.
When I sit off to the side of the *speakers they sound different*.
And? NS-10s are widely acknowledged to be crap.

Furthermore, when you sit off center with respect to a stereo pair of speakers, the sonic differences are largely due to factors other than the directivity of the individual speakers.

When I track and/or mix at a good studio we sit right in front of their hi-quality reference near field monitors.
Sitting off to the side sounds wrong.
See above. In order to hear the directivity of a speaker, you need to listen to one speaker, well-removed from nearby surfaces (including the working surface of a mixing desk), and move around, listening carefully. Otherwise, what you are hearing is not being caused by speaker directivity. You've successfully identified the effect - which is trivially easy - but you've completely misdiagnosed the cause, which is a very common disease in acoustics.

So, *in my experience* Jay's notion that an FRFR speaker sounds the same on-axis or off-axis is simply not true.
I did not say "an" FRFR speaker, I said a well-designed FRFR speaker. There are actually a few of them out there, but clearly you've never encountered one.

Now, with a stereo setup your ears are on-axis through-out a much wider compass than they are with a single speaker.
Exactly backwards. With a stereo setup, you only get the intended response when you are in the "sweet spot." Even if the speakers individually sound identical at different positions, the sound of a stereo playback system changes in profound ways when you move.

Your "experience" has not taught you anything about acoustics or audio. Hearing something and correctly identifying the cause are worlds apart. The former is easy, the latter requires some education in the field.

Edit: Here's a link to some of the materials I hand out when I instruct loudspeaker design workshops: http://jay-mitchell.com/Speaker%20Characterization.pdf Much of this material is also in the chapter I authored on loudspeaker design in Glen Ballou's Handbook for Sound Engineers. If any of the technical issues hang you up, I'll be happy to help you understand them.

I'd like to thank Mike at Red Wires for coming to the Fractal Audio forum and being willing to listen to what Axe-Fx users want, in the way of speaker and cabinet impulse responses. I'd also like to thank Shane at Recabinet for having the same attitude.

Both you guys represent a hugely refreshing change from trying to deal with the large music manufacturers. No amount of focus group research or NAMM schmoozing can substitute for actually talking with customers. :cool:

I don't know how big a slice of the IR market that Axe-Fx users represent, but it's good to be listened to.

At any rate, Jay's "facts" aside, I stand by everything I've said so far in this thread.

Perhaps I've skewed some terminology here and there, but nothing Jay Mitchell can cite for me will convince me that FRFR speakers, in general, do not sound different on-axis as compared to off-axis. My personal experience speaks otherwise.

If a "well-designed" FRFR speaker is really such a rarity as he suggests then I have no use for them in my music making activities. I can't afford them and I can't afford the man-hours needed to research them. And if such a speaker is what is required then the all-elusive 'in-the-room' feel many of us are after will simply not be worth the effort.

I continue to believe that the 'in-the-room' feeling can be obtained with an average (or above average) FRFR speaker provided that the IR being used is suitable to the task, as I have described it.

I have an opportunity in October to make some noise in the country. I could get the reflection-free IRs you want in a concrete driveway using the ground planing technique described. I don't anticipate background noise being a problem. The only thing around will be birds and I'm sure we'll scare them all away once the noise starts, and the occasional plane overhead which can be worked around.

It won't be until October, but I would like to post a few samples after the first run and have you guys check them out to see if they meet your needs before I do the rest. You think that'll work?

redwire said:
I have an opportunity in October to make some noise in the country. I could get the IRs you want in a concrete driveway using the ground planing technique described. I don't anticipate background noise being a problem. The only thing around will be birds and I'm sure we'll scare them all away once the noise starts, and the occasional plane overhead which can be worked around.

It won't be until October, but I would like to post a few samples after the first run and have you guys check them out to see if they meet your needs before I do the rest. You think that'll work?

That sounds good! Looking foward to it....

redwire said:
I have an opportunity in October to make some noise in the country. I could get the reflection-free IRs you want in a concrete driveway using the ground planing technique described. I don't anticipate background noise being a problem. The only thing around will be birds and I'm sure we'll scare them all away once the noise starts, and the occasional plane overhead which can be worked around.

THAT,,would be most Righteous of you Brother :mrgreen:

MOSHON
DAVE

redwire said:

Well.... what can I say... THANK YOU!

;)

I have nowhere near the professional knowledge and experience of Jay Mitchell, but I do have enough to comment on this. Jay said well designed FRFR amplification doesn't sound different from on or off axis listening positions. This is the goal of said amplification, and some do achieve it IME. Jay is way out of my league on this stuff, so I take his word on things that I don't completely understand because his resume and the quality of his IRs speak that he knows what he's talking about. If my experience doesn't line up with what he's saying it doesn't mean he's wrong. It could mean that my experience is just too limited.

As for the rarity of truly well designed FRFR amplification, considering the number of boxes available, they're extremely rare IME.

I hate to talk about something so subjective as in-the-room feel, so let's just say can you get the sound and feel that YOU want with a budget FRFR box? It just depends. It depends on how well trained your ears are. It depends on how discriminating and how picky you are. It depends on what equipment you've had the chance to use in the past (this one's just my opinion).

I don't have the means to purchase quality FRFR amplification that I would be happy with. I've been fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it) to get to use and hear FRFR as it was meant to be (or at least closer to the mark than what a lot of people get to experience). This experience has been enough to spoil me in such a way that I can't be happy with a budget box (BTW, the QSC HPR series held in such high regard here is considered budget-friendly, weekend warrior gear in the pro audio community).

The best analogy I can think of is this: Say you've used an early gen POD and have been happy with it for a long time, life is good and you're happy with your POD. One day you get to use an Axe-FX. Things aren't quite the same after that, and you likely won't be entirely happy with the POD anymore. It's the same with FRFR amplification. You can be perfectly happy with the lower end gear for a long time, but when you use the really good stuff it changes everything. This is why I just use IEMs or provided or borrowed stage wedges to monitor myself live currently. One day I'll be able to get something that I'm really happy with though.

AS FOR WHAT THIS THREAD IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT:

I should have never opened this, because I can see already that this thread is going to cost me money. I was never going to buy ReCabinet because IMO the guys that made it didn't really know what they were doing and I didn't want to sort out their mistakes. This product on the other hand seems well planned and executed. I am particularly excited to see quality AC30 and Alnico Blue IRs. That is pretty tough to find it seems. I'm not really a fan of the 212 Brit in the Axe-FX. I've been using Jay's 212 Gold IR which is fantastic, but the Golds and Blues are a little different and I would like to have an IR of the Blues that I'm happy with. All this talk about the Marshall cabs has me curious too. I definately see the Big Box package in my future.

D

Guys, please keep this thread on track. post have already been removed on this because they got out of hand.. Please do not fan any flames or all none red wirez post will be deleted. Another thread can be started on what make a good FRFR system.

I think we need more IR sound samples posted. It would be great to have a thread dedicated to IR sound clips in this section of the forum. Clips that compare different companies and user's IR's to each other. Using one amp block in the axe with different IR's.
Andrew Simon has already posted a few in this thread. I have one I just did and I can do more.
Is there a common place to post clips? I don't have a website. What's the easiest, best way to post clips for us to listen to? Personally, I like to hear .wav files for clarity. I know they are larget but if the clips are fairly short and just show what the IR does, that's all that is really needed.

kev said:
I think we need more IR sound samples posted. It would be great to have a thread dedicated to IR sound clips in this section of the forum. Clips that compare different companies and user's IR's to each other. Using one amp block in the axe with different IR's.
Andrew Simon has already posted a few in this thread. I have one I just did and I can do more.
Is there a common place to post clips? I don't have a website. What's the easiest, best way to post clips for us to listen to? Personally, I like to hear .wav files for clarity. I know they are larget but if the clips are fairly short and just show what the IR does, that's all that is really needed.

You can set up w/ a number a free download place or I can host it for you. Just PM me and I'll give you my email address.

javajunkie said:
Guys, please keep this thread on track. post have already been removed on this because they got out of hand.. Please do not fan any flames or all none red wirez post will be deleted. Another thread can be started on what make a good FRFR system.

Since Jay is a forum administrator and was participating in this discussion, I did not think a request for more information concerning what makes a good FRFR system was out of line.
I also understand he may have professional reasons why he does not want to comment further (remaining non-biased, maintaining a professional reputation, etc.), and did not want to start a new thread if the response was "I cannot comment further."

KG

redwire said:

That would be appreciated. I will be purchasing and trying the Big Box set over the weekend.

redwire said:
I'm attaching two IRs that was part of a test I did to see which one I'd do first or at all, the T75s or the Vintage 30s. They are different, but you guys tell me if they're different enough to warrant taking the time and effort. I used a Neumann KM84 so it's not the vibey-est of mics, but it's the flattest one I have, so it suited my purposes. It's mic'ed on the speaker cap edge at 0 inches. I tried not to move the mic between sampling the T75s and the V30s. Just swapped the speakers.

Wow, these samples just made you a sale...they sound great to me! I'm downloading the Big Box bundle now...

Thanks to those that posted the easy instructions on how to convert the IR's for the AxeFX...that was totally painless!

OK we are bored... so we are going to layer 5 microphones to capture 1 cab :shock:

Amp: BRIT 800
Cab: Orange 4x12 V30

Main Mic: RE20 Cap 0"
AIR Mic: RE20 Cone 1" Bandpass EQed 100Hz - 650Hz
Bright Mic: I5 Cap 1"
Back Mic: KM84 Back of Cab 6"
Room Mic: R121 NullAndWall 12"

Here is the "script" to what we are listening to:

1 - Main Mic
2 - Main + Bright
3 - Main + Bright + Back (a little more 3D)
4 - Main + Bright + Back + Room (even more 3d)
5 - Main + Bright + Back + Room + AIR (Wow did you hear that one?)

6 - Solo Room Mic
7 - Solo Back Mic
8 - Solo Bright Mic
9 - Solo AIR Mic
10 - Solo Main Mic

11 - All Mic Finale

http://www.andras-shimon.com/TEMP/5micTest.mp3

"United, we are Strong"
Any Mic by itself sounds so so, but together they rule!

:D :oops: :D

And now... just for fun.... we will take these 5 mics as they are mixed right now
and we will resample them to create a single IR that we will convert and load into the AXE-FX.
Let's see how close can we get.

AXE-FX with 1 User Cab:
http://www.andras-shimon.com/TEMP/5in1.mp3

Good night
;)

AndrewSimon said:
OK we are bored... so we are going to layer 5 microphones to capture 1 cab :shock:

Amp: BRIT 800
Cab: Orange 4x12 V30

Main Mic: RE20 Cap 0"
AIR Mic: RE20 Cone 1" Bandpass EQed 100Hz - 650Hz
Bright Mic: I5 Cap 1"
Back Mic: KM84 Back of Cab 6"
Room Mic: R121 NullAndWall 12"

Some observations:

1. If you intend to mix the signals from those mics, the mis-synchronization caused by the different mic distances will create huge comb filtering effects. While you may be able to come up with such an effect that you find pleasant, in general the effect is undesirable and adds unwanted colorations to the desired ones from the mics and speaker.

The way to correct this mis-synchronization is to delay all of the mics but the farthest from the speaker by the appropriate amount. You will then have all the mic signals synchronized with the one which arrives latest. One way to do this is to record a transient sound - a fabricated ideal impulse or any click or pop - on multiple tracks, one track per mic. The identify the amount of delay each track will require by zooming in and observing the locations in time of the first peak in each mic's response. If you create a composite IR, you need to align the individual IRs in the exact same manner.

2. If you want to capture any audible contribution from the room, you will need a mic that is placed much farther than 12" from the speaker. With a mic at 12", even in a very small room - say 10' x 10' with an 8' ceiling, with the speaker placed at the center of one wall - the earliest sidewall reflection will be 20 dB lower in level than the direct sound from the speaker. This is too low to be noticeable.

The bottom line is this guys....... since most of us don't play in an anechoic chamber, even if you have the "theoretically perfect FRFR cab" , it is still going to be colored based upon the acoustics of the room & volume of the cab.... and where you stand does contribute as well...perhaps to a lesser point with a well designed FRFR cab, but still somewhat.
This thread has gotten bogged down into a pissing match about who has the most expertise....... WHO CARES?!!!
All that matters is how does it sound to you? If the Red Wirez IR"S work for you, cool! Let you own ears be your guide & not technical specs on a piece of paper. Just listen with your ears & not with your ego. Just remember what kind of gear created some of the greatest guitar sounds to begin with.
Companies like Red Wirez, etc. are just opening up more & more possibilities for us!!

The samples we took were all edited to be time-aligned. There may be other issues when mixing IRs, but the delay between signals at different distances shouldn't be one of them.

The interesting thing about the NullAndWall sample is that the R121 is place 90 degrees off axis to the speaker, so it picks up mostly room reflections.

kabong said:
The bottom line is this guys....... since most of us don't play in an anechoic chamber, even if you have the "theoretically perfect FRFR cab" , it is still going to be colored based upon the acoustics of the room.
Right. This makes it even more critical that unwanted room cues and colorations be kept out of IRs. You'll get more of that than you usually want from the environment in which you're playing.

& volume of the cab.
If you did a good job capturing the IR, the volume of the cab in the IR is accounted for. If your playback system is suitable, the volume of the playback cab is not a factor in what you hear.

This thread has gotten bogged down into a pissing match about who has the most expertise.......
Uhh, no. My post contains some very valuable information that is routinely used by knowledgeable recording engineers. And the information is free. Try it sometime, you'll be shocked at how much it helps to get the mic signals properly synch-ed.

WHO CARES?!!!
Anyone who cares about their sound quality should care.

Companies like Red Wirez, etc. are just opening up more & more possibilities for us!!
I take no issue with that. I do take issue with the notion that data-collection techniques are not critical to taking good data. And a speaker IR is nothing but data. I've been taking 'em since 1983. What I have to offer here is helpful, whether or not you recognize that fact.

Back
Top Bottom