RED SOUND FRFR Speakers now offered through the Fractal Audio online store!

How far are you going to stand from them? Are they acting as a backline and need to fill the house, or are you letting FOH do the heavy lifting and the ELIS.8 would be for your personal monitoring?

They can get loud, but 8" speakers can't move as much air as 10" or 12" speakers, so you have to work with what they are designed for.
Typically I use my Atomic CLRs in backline position right behind me, 5-8 feet away? Mostly for my own stage sound, but occasionally that's all I have to work with for the venue, so I would like something that is plenty loud.

Do you ever feel like the Elis 8 is underwhelming in a live situation, volume wise? I am still confused about which would make the most sense to me, since this would be only used in a live setting.
As @Greg Ferguson wrote it's very important to define what will be their use and how far you're going to be from them. I'm a studio guy but when I used a pair of Elis.8 live, standing 2 meters from them I've never had any problem listening myself (with a very "noisy", double kick, drum player). MF.10 can move more air but at 52 I prefer to stand a little closer to my cab than having a broken back for 3 days after the gig :sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

it would definitely be for both, I probably wouldnt use them as a back line, I have Marshall 412's for that, but also have in ears so kinda overkill. I would put them up front for personal monitoring
In this case I would go with Elis.8: lighter and smaller to move around and to use at home. I would check the link to the review posted some pages before considering that the choice depends on many factors, some of which are personal (listening level, position on stage, etc.).

As @Greg Ferguson wrote it's very important to define what will be their use and how far you're going to be from them. I'm a studio guy but when I used a pair of Elis.8 live, standing 2 meters from them I've never had any problem listening myself (with a very "noisy", double kick, drum player). MF.10 can move more air but at 52 I prefer to stand a little closer to my cab than having a broken back for 3 days after the gig :sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:
I feel this so much.

THX for reply

I want to use one in the rehearsal room and one at home so that I don't have to carry it back and forth. And if I ever want to play stereo, I don't need to buy an additional passive one

Marco, can I ask you a quick off-topic question?
I often see you playing your Schecter Solo II Custom Les Paul and it sounds great in your fingers, but is there a reason why you don't play a Gibson like the Studio or Tribute?

Marco, can I ask you a quick off-topic question?
I often see you playing your Schecter Solo II Custom Les Paul and it sounds great in your fingers, but is there a reason why you don't play a Gibson like the Studio or Tribute?
Please guys don't derail the topic of this conversation. There are many other methods to ask questions to Marco and he's happy to answer. Thanks

The daily email spam ad begging me to buy this is a bit much.
That's not at all at all an accurate representation of the frequency or the character of our emails. There was the Red Sound announcement on Nov 15, then three emails about our holiday sale since then -- and one of them didn't even mention Red Sound -- and we're in the middle of peak retail season! We aim to be very humane with marketing efforts, especially because we only have one mailing list for all regions, and most retail offers are for the USA and Canada only.

Last edited:
That's not at all at all an accurate representation of the frequency of our emails.
I have to chime in and say that what @Admin M@ said above is true. I’ve been on Fractal Audio’s mailing list for years, and their advertising messages are few and far between. It’s Fractal’s annual sale season, so you can expect a few more ads than normal. There’s no begging involved, and they even show restraint in their use of exclamation points (!).

Fractal’s ongoing adherence to ethical business practices is a big part of what keeps me around. They keep hype to a minimum, and their “exaggeration rate” is pretty much zero. Try finding that in other companies. :)

Just ordered the Elis.8 bundle! Can't wait to try them! Thanks
I just jumped back onto the ELIS.8 bandwagon, but went with the "Pro" models because I wanted the added pre-amp outputs.

I had a pair of the regular ELIS.8 previously and loved their sound and size which will work in my "office" and the stage I'm usually on. I really like the EV PXM-12MP but they're too big (physically) for the space in my room.

I play in live situation mf10 for two years now, with drum and bass, and i am very happy ! Loud enough, and lovely sound.
So go on with them, no worry!

My pair of the ELIS.8 PRO just arrived.

A couple years ago I had an early pair of the speakers, as did several others, and the shipping cartons were not very robust; RED SOUND had used styrofoam as padding, which shatters when stressed and then breaks into chunks and tiny pieces and at that point is no longer effective as padding.

These came in much stronger cardboard boxes, with nicely built expanded foam inserts glued to sheets of cardboard to keep them in place. Everything was perfect when I opened the boxes, and I couldn't see any sign of shifting or abrasion caused by the padding not fitting correctly.

So, if anyone has concerns based on our previous thread, these packages are a night and day difference. I give them a big thumbs-up!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom