1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Recto + Depth?

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Discussion' started by RockerAlex, Nov 9, 2014.

1. RockerAlex

RockerAlex
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I have indeed updated to the new firmware today but this has been an ongoing issue as far as I can tell ...

While Recto 2 Modern Red is selected as my amp the Depth knob seems to be doing nothing, I've tried A/Bing 0 and 10 and there's no different at all, not even nearly what it should be. I recall reading a post where Cliff mentioned that he purposely set Negative Feedback to 0.01 to allow these controls to work. Am I missing something here?

2. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

Depth works by varying the negative feedback at low frequencies. There is no NFB in the Modern Red mode so the Depth knob won't do anything. NFB is set to 0.01 just to fool the GUI into displaying Presence instead of HiCut below the left knob.

3. RockerAlex

RockerAlex
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Thanks for the direct response Cliff!

What's your workaround to put what Depth put in back into the Recto models?

4. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I don't understand the question. Rectos don't have a Depth control and even if they did it wouldn't do anything in Modern Red mode since that mode has no negative feedback. When you put a Recto into Modern Red mode it opens a relay which removes the NFB.

5. RockerAlex

RockerAlex
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I'm asking what can you do to replicate what Depth does in the Recto models ...

6. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Technically you can't. You can come close by adding bass after the amp block (or using the EQ page in the amp block).

Depth is a bass control for the power amp but it's behavior depends on the amount of NFB, the speaker impedance curve and other things. So it's a funky bass control.

I would set the EQ type to 4- or 5-band passive and increase the Low frequency.

7. RockerAlex

RockerAlex
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Thanks Cliff!