Rectifier too much bass ?

atlas-rise

Hello All

I would like to ask a question that interests me very much.
Why does the Rectifier (recto1 red) amp sound so bassy? I know we can use boost and get result.
But as far as I know, Hetfield from Metallica uses this amp without any boost and the sound is fine.
What is the trick ?

Thank you

Here are some tidbits from Yek's guide:

1684113048352.png
1684113141776.png
"Rectifiers can have an enormous amount of bass. Especially in Modern mode, because the lack of negative feedback. Some players deal with this by adding a low-gain Drive pedal before the amp. This has a similar effect as engaging the Cut switch or increasing Low Cut in the amp model."

I lost track how many times the word "bass" was used in that section! :p

That's what the real amps are like. High passing before the amp, either with a filter/EQ, amp block cut switch/input low cut or using a drive pedal is the way to go.

My personal favourite is the amp block "grinder" boost. Try the FAS Modern model if you want a Recto without all the funky stuff.

Apparently, rectifier amp is not plug-and-play like IIC++ without booster or other drastic manipulations. Its strange to me why Hetfield invests on this amp.

Attachments

• GettyImages-477171322-1.jpg
    GettyImages-477171322-1.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 48
Recto 1 Red is one of my favorite amp models in the fractal world for dirty sounds. It sounds so nasty and it's full of character and it's been getting just better with the updates. I agree its very bass heavy compared to the Recto 2 but you can compensate that with the IR you choose like many mentioned also I'd apply a low cut up to 100hz. Sometimes is good to have that extra low end in case you need it for an specific purpose rather than adding it with post EQ's which is actually harder to make it sound "natural" and overall it's better to just cut what you don't need. Also by just turning on the "cut" button on the main amp page will definitely help without doing too much. Cheers

A neat trick is to use the 5 band mark eq with the usual settings in the amp output eq.

Back
Top Bottom