Rectifier ✅ , now let’s talk about the noise gate

that’s tighter and works for djenty stuff also, but he still gets noise coming through while palm mutting, for example when you do those longer palm mutes like in hard core style riffs.
Exactly. We already talk about that and uploaded an audio example too. But don’t have any official feedbacks about it.

You just have to palm mute a string and let it ring and hear what’s going on behind .

so here is another example . (di marzio evolution pickups humbuckers for this example)
the first 3 notes are with the input gate only
the others notes in the end of the video are with a gate between the amp and cab added to the input gate .
preset in attached link . If someone can record these 3 palm mute with my preset and post it (7-5-3 in the D string) , if it is totally silent in your home ... @2112

Attachments

• test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
so here is another example . (di marzio evolution pickups humbuckers for this example)
the first 3 notes are with the input gate only
the others notes in the end of the video are with a gate between the amp and cab added to the input gate .
preset in attached link . If someone can record these 3 palm mute with my preset and post it (7-5-3 in the D string) , if it is totally silent in your home ... @2112 @FractalAudio

I will test here. But I don’t have noise like that. I think you need to filter that power perhaps

@My name is mud You are not in North America
I know this is obvious probably but have you switched to the 240 V in the settings and tried the noise reducer I thought that one was supposed to function more the the Rocktron HUSH units ?

@My name is mud You are not in North America
I know this is obvious probably but have you switched to the 240 V in the settings and tried the noise reducer I thought that one was supposed to function more the the Rocktron HUSH units ?
I’m in Europe, everything is set fine normally. Even the 50/60 hz was set good.
The hush ? It’s old now. I ve sold all my gate units … I owned the isp/ boss and the tc electronic “sentry” that worked well too.

Considering that my room has a ground problem, why the isp worked and not the one in the axe so 🤔

You have a fair amount of high frequency buzz there (as opposed to hum).
That's going to be audible when the gate is open, any gate, regardless of how tight and/or tailored to your use it is.
You're also going to hear it cut off when the gate closes, which may accentuate it even more than not using a gate at all.

Best solution is to reduce the original interference, if you can, with shielding, good cables, clean power, moving away from computer and monitor, all the angles you know.

Gates aren't miraculous. They just shut down when they think there's no more signal, with both the detector and the attenuator parts potentially having different time constants and possibly frequency responses, possibly dynamically according to the signal. But they can't actually reduce the interference without affecting the signal at all.

I’m in Europe, everything is set fine normally. Even the 50/60 hz was set good.
The hush ? It’s old now. I ve sold all my gate units … I owned the isp/ boss and the tc sentry that worked well too.

Considering that my room has a ground problem, why the isp worked and not the one in the axe so 🤔
My bet is, if you had any of those other units available now, and compared their performance with the same instruments and gain, they'd be less impressive than they are in your memory :)

I will test here. But I don’t have noise like that. I think you need to filter that power perhaps
Yes, but if he does so and doesn't make "gate noise" on the forum it might never be looked at. Mud is at least humorous in his persistence.

I do imagine that even if a mega-corp has a patent on their method you can't patent the general idea and Cliff might come up with something unique.

You have a fair amount of high frequency buzz there (as opposed to hum).
That's going to be audible when the gate is open, any gate, regardless of how tight and/or tailored to your use it is.
You're also going to hear it cut off when the gate closes, which may accentuate it even more than not using a gate at all.

Best solution is to reduce the original interference, if you can, with shielding, good cables, clean power, moving away from computer and monitor, all the angles you know.

Gates aren't miraculous. They just shut down when they think there's no more signal, with both the detector and the attenuator parts potentially having different time constants and possibly frequency responses, possibly dynamically according to the signal. But they can't actually reduce the interference without affecting the signal at all.
Have you tried the isp decimator or the noise gate in the kemper ? It’s night and day against all the others noise gate before them. This is magic. You just set one knob to a point you hear no noise anymore while muting strings and this is done! They don’t eat the sound at all and you have zero noise.
I m not here to do commercial for them hm, I’m not sponsored and sold them both 😅, just saying. I sold them before buying the unit because as everything is great in the axe, I believed that these gates were useless now

Last edited:
Have you tried the isp decimator or the noise gate in the kemper ? It’s night and day against all the others noise gate before them. This is magic. You just set one knob to a point you hear no noise anymore while muting strings and this is done! They don’t eat the sound at all and you have zero noise.
I m not here to do commercial for them hm, I’m not sponsored and sold them both 😅, just saying. I sold them before buying the unit because as everything is great in the axe, I believed that these gate were useless
No I haven't tried either one, so maybe they really are wildly better than the bunch of other solutions I've tried, that's fair.
I do really hate interference, and I do really like single coils so maybe I should invest in the $150 decimator pedal at least.
Maybe you should too; even the rack decimator is under $500 I think.

If those products really are was good as you say, maybe Cliff can find some room for improvement in the Axe gating.
He's certainly knock pretty much every other optimization he's set his mind to out of the park!

Yes, but if he does so and doesn't make "gate noise" on the forum it might never be looked at. Mud is at least humorous in his persistence.

I do imagine that even if a mega-corp has a patent on their method you can't patent the general idea and Cliff might come up with something unique.
I m persistent because I try to solve problems.

Just found this, This guy say everything I felt and said
  • basic gate let the noise flow when you play
  • the isp not, it act when you play and you hear nothing

Don’t tell me “so buy the isp” 😅, I prefer to bet that Cliff can do the best gate ever, because @FractalAudio likes challenges

Last edited:
I m persistent because I try to solve problems.

Just found this, This guy say everything I felt and said
  • basic gate let the noise flow when you play
  • the isp not, it act when you play and you hear nothing

Don’t tell me “so buy the isp” 😅, I prefer to bet that Cliff can do the best gate ever, because @FractalAudio likes challenges

yes, we need this !

@My name is mud I think this is the third time you’ve pointed out a discrepancy between the model and the amp that Cliff has addressed it with a firmware revision. You’ve got some good ears.
And this is one of the reasons, why we need people like @My name is mud, to bring us all down back to earth.
Constructive criticism is always good to make the best unit even better.
Thank you! And you are an amazing player as well!

What ended up working for me, as far as noise gates go was to use the "sidechained to input 1 between the amp & cab blocks" approach AND also setting the input block gate type to Noise Reducer, with -7dB threshold, 2.00 ratio, 1.00ms attack, & 100.00ms release. That cut out a lot of hum I get for whatever reason and gave the sidechained gate a bit more room to breathe.

What ended up working for me, as far as noise gates go was to use the "sidechained to input 1 between the amp & cab blocks" approach AND also setting the input block gate type to Noise Reducer, with -7dB threshold, 2.00 ratio, 1.00ms attack, & 100.00ms release. That cut out a lot of hum I get for whatever reason and gave the sidechained gate a bit more room to breathe.
Don’t know. I hope Cliff will work on it one day.
When you see what this single decimator can do, I m sure there is a way to make the gate in the axe better. We believe in you Cliff ! 😁

The guy in this second one seems to have the same type of problems that I said with his axe (I don’t have that much noise with luck)

Last edited:
Between amp and cab block seems strange as you first amplify the hum before filtering it

I ve tried it as Leon told me the same some days ago and … no. It don’t change the problem .
I agree with Mud. I owned a rack version of ISP decimator and it performs noise suppression noticeably better than axe in my case (eu ac line and grounding problems). After I solve grounding problems I was able to achieve acceptable noise lvl with standalone axe (but still a little worse than with decimator) and sold the decimator with other rack stuff and a tube head.

Hope Cliff will make something even better than Decimator was in terms of noise suppression.

Back
Top Bottom