Recording Woes

Try checking your audio files at each step in the process. You know what it sounds like out of the Axe and the DAW. Check the bounced file after that, but then also check the file in the email or whatever method you are sending to the producer. It could be that somewhere along the line the digital systems are “helping” you by compressing the file further to allow for the file to be shared. So maybe see if the producer will share the file back to you that they receive. By going through each step in the sharing process and checking you’ll be able to hopefully eliminate at least a few variables.

I had a similar issue when I began recording with the Axe Fx. My tracks always seemed to have this frizz and fizz across the top of the tracks that wasn't really apparent while playing (even when monitored through the same speakers). Generally speaking, I play metal and hard rock, so I was obviously using hi-gain amps. It took me a while to figure out how to dial in the tones I was trying for on "tape" (it is different than dialing them in for the stage). First (and you already know this based on your comments), what you hear in the room is not nessessarily what you hear on "tape" or in the mix. So, with this understanding, I began to dial in my tones through the DAW. Play, record, listen to the playback, adjust, repeat... I had to keep doing this until I calibrated myself for what to listen for. I found that adding a Tube Screamer in front (even if not using the gain or distortion) helped A LOT! The darkness of that pedal worked great to reduce the fizz. I also did the standard stuff... less input gain, rolled off the highs, tried different amp models, low passed the IR (this can be a big one too). On that end, I found the IRs I was using made a huge difference. IME, some IRs that sound really good while I am playing, yet didn't transloate well to tracks. But even after all that, I still find I need to treat the guitars in the DAW with a low pass at about 4khz with a -6db slope.
FWIW, some of the @austinbuddy presets proved to be really good starting points. Some of the presets I didn't like to play through, yet they worked really well through the DAW for the tracks I was trying to record (with minor adjustments).

I've sent in tracks in the past where I was using a plugin ( that I was dissatisfied with) that didn't produce the problem that I'm having, leading me to believe that the difference in speakers isn't the problem. I would like to see a video of someone setting up a preset for "prof. use" in a recording (no fx. gain backed off for processing, etc.).
It has nothing to do with the preset. You’ve recorded and bounced your track and the wav file sounds good to you. The axe fx is now out of the equation. Something in the process of transferring or difference in monitoring is causing this.

Ask your mix engineer to send the “bad sounding” file back to you and compare.

Ok guys, I have diagnosed the exact problem and, therefore, I can give a better description of what’s happening I think. Because I still haven’t solved the issue. Here’s what’s going on.
My axe fx is connected to Logic Pro via USB. The outputs of the axe fx are connected to studio monitors. So, when I play and/or record, I mute the track as to not hear the signal running through Logic. But, during playback after recording, the track has to be unmuted in order to hear anything. When that happens, what I’m actually hearing is a super processed, phasey track. Because at that point, I’m hearing both signals. That’s what’s been getting sent to my producer.
So, that’s what I need help figuring out guys, how do I just hear the one signal as it sounds when the track is muted???
I did find something in the manual that may be the answer. It’s at the bottom of page 20 titled “ Option:USB input monitoring only”. Does anyone know or understand anything about this??? Thanks guys!!

Ok guys, I have diagnosed the exact problem and, therefore, I can give a better description of what’s happening I think. Because I still haven’t solved the issue. Here’s what’s going on.
My axe fx is connected to Logic Pro via USB. The outputs of the axe fx are connected to studio monitors. So, when I play and/or record, I mute the track as to not hear the signal running through Logic. But, during playback after recording, the track has to be unmuted in order to hear anything. When that happens, what I’m actually hearing is a super processed, phasey track. Because at that point, I’m hearing both signals. That’s what’s been getting sent to my producer.
So, that’s what I need help figuring out guys, how do I just hear the one signal as it sounds when the track is muted???
I did find something in the manual that may be the answer. It’s at the bottom of page 20 titled “ Option:USB input monitoring only”. Does anyone know or understand anything about this??? Thanks guys!!

If you need to mute the track while recording, then you must be doing something wrong. It sounds like you have input monitoring is turned on in Logic and you're somehow recording both the direct and roundtrip audio into the track. So, it sounds like you have multiple problems. Before asking for details on your configuration to diagnose the problem, I'd suggest spending some time with the recording guide to make sure you have things set up according to those instructions:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Something is funky here. I’m using this same set up.

You shouldn’t have the mute the track when recording, just click the orange “I” next to the ”R” button, that’s the Input Monitoring and will stop the sound from coming out through Logic when you’re recording, since the AxeFX is going through your monitors already. I don’t understand how during playback two signals are being mixed together. I can only assume you have the track’s output getting sent back to the AxeFX?

Can you screenshot the mixer in Logic and post it?

If you need to mute the track while recording, then you must be doing something wrong. It sounds like you have input monitoring is turned on in Logic and you're somehow recording both the direct and roundtrip audio into the track. So, it sounds like you have multiple problems. Before asking for details on your configuration to diagnose the problem, I'd suggest spending some time with the recording guide to make sure you have things set up according to those instructions:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/
Thanks for the quick reply GlennO. I have read the recording guide a couple of times, however, I absolutely will give it another read as soon as I'm finished typing. I'm truly hoping I missed something. The idea of muting the track came from a Leon Todd video from 3 yrs. ago titled "Axe-Fx lll Recording Tips & Tricks Episode 1", at approximately 5:20.

You shouldn’t have the mute the track when recording, just click the orange “I” next to the ”R” button, that’s the Input Monitoring and will stop the sound from coming out through Logic when you’re recording, since the AxeFX is going through your monitors already. I don’t understand how during playback two signals are being mixed together. I can only assume you have the track’s output getting sent back to the AxeFX?

Muting the track came from a Loen Todd video "Axe-Fx lll Recording Tips & Tricks Episode 1" at 5:20.

Muting the track came from a Loen Todd video "Axe-Fx lll Recording Tips & Tricks Episode 1" at 5:20. Can you give me instruction on how to post a screenshot? In Logic, there is a tab a the very top of the screen that shows the Apple logo>File>Edit>Track>Navigate>Record>Mix>View>Window and then there is a 1, which when clicked shows screenshot 1 ( the screenshot that I'm trying to upload to the forum). Where from there?

In that video, Leon mentions he has to do that because of something unusual he's doing in his rig. He doesn't say why he has to do that, but it's probably some odd routing in his audio interface, so do not do that. Instead follow the instructions in the recording guide for configuration #1. If you're following the instructions properly and not turning on input monitoring in your DAW track there will be no need to mute the track. In fact, if you find you need to mute the track, that's a sign you've got something set up incorrectly.

In that video, Leon mentions he has to do that because of something unusual he's doing in his rig. He doesn't say why he has to do that, but it's probably some odd routing in his audio interface, so do not do that. Instead follow the instructions in the recording guide for configuration #1. If you're following the instructions properly and not turning on input monitoring in your DAW track there will be no need to mute the track. In fact, if you find you need to mute the track, that's a sign you've got something set up incorrectly.
I thought maybe he had something different going on with his rig perhaps. I absolutely have not been turning on input monitoring though. RevDrucifer says that I should be turning on input monitoring. I'm giving the recording guide a read right now. I will give an update soon.

I thought maybe he had something different going on with his rig perhaps. I absolutely have not been turning on input monitoring though. RevDrucifer says that I should be turning on input monitoring. I'm giving the recording guide a read right now. I will give an update soon.
When RevDucifer said to click on that button, he meant in order to turn it off, not to turn it on :).

And, are you saying that Input Monitoring needs to be ON, as in engaged?

Wait a minute…

I’ve been following along here, and I think one thing has been forgotten…..If the OP is in fact setting something wrong when recording, then the recording would sound awful to him before he sends it out, right? I think he said the recordings sound great to him before sending.

And, are you saying that Input Monitoring needs to be ON, as in engaged?

No, you don't need it on because you're already hearing the AxeFX through your monitors. That Input Monitoring allows you to hear what's being input into that track. If you play with it ON you'll get that nasty out of phase sound, turn it OFF and it goes away.

It sounds like the problem you're having is somehow that nasty phase sound is getting recorded and the only way I can think that's occurring is you're sending the output from the AxeFX, into Logic then back of out Logic and into the AxeFX again and back into Logic. If it's ending up on the bounce, I'm not sure how else it could happen aside from routing outputs/inputs in Logic.

You want this-
Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 12.53.36 PM.png

Not this-

Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 12.54.08 PM.png

But I need to see your mixer to see how you have the Inputs/Outputs routed (the Logic mixer)

Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 12.56.13 PM.png

Or better yet, can you post the file you're sending to the engineer?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 12.55.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 12.55.22 PM.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom