Recording level?

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
I'm using PT 9 on my MacBook Pro 10.6.8. I'm unclear on how I should set my recording level? Do I just use the amp level parameter? Or is there something else I'm missing? Oh yeah, I'm trying to record via USB.

Any tips?

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

I usually record with the meter 2/3 the way up. You want it high enough to overcome the noise floor but leaving room to mix your individual tracks. Most of the time i just use my ear.

I understand that, but how do I adjust the level? I'm used to recording using the analog outs into my 002 into pro tools. I tried turning up the output 1 knob but that doesn't affect the recording level. I'm also getting output 1 clipping from my already recorded tracks. Any clue what's happening here?

Sent from my iPod.

You need to go into the I/O and adjust your INSTR IN level then balance out your output volume (OUT 1). I work in PT 10 and my INSTR IN is about 49.8% and my OUT 1 is at about 1 o'clock. I have my AXEII going line out into an audio interface which PT10 sees in the playback engine.

Just use the output 1 boost/pad in I/O menu/audio to adjust your output.
I'm using Audition and I too had very low levels from the USB while recording.
By using the output volume and everything else in the axe's grid, I couldn't raise the usb volume. The only way I found to raise it, was to use the boost/pad (for me works well set to +6 or +9db).
Don't know if there is another way, but this worked for me.

Ok I've found that increasing the boost/pad does increase the level to my DAW. However, my drum tracks are clipping my Output 1 like crazy. So increasing the boost/pad only makes this worse. How do I get my mix to not clip my Axe II output 1? I shouldn't have to lower my master fader. I should also mention that te output does not distort I'm only getting clipping LED indicators.

Sent from my iPod.

You need to go into the I/O and adjust your INSTR IN level then balance out your output volume (OUT 1). I work in PT 10 and my INSTR IN is about 49.8% and my OUT 1 is at about 1 o'clock. I have my AXEII going line out into an audio interface which PT10 sees in the playback engine.

So you're not using your II as your main interface? I am trying to use my II as my interface and record is USB. I can hear my tracks fine, but I need to increase my recording level from my II. The output 1 knob affects my entire mix and doesn't alter the level going to PT9. I was able to increase the level to PT by turning up the level in the amp block. Is this common practice? What if I have a sound that is perfect for live performance that is wish to record... Do I have to adjust my levels every time I wish to record? I kind of figured there would be a dedicated parameter for adjusting the USB level tithe DAW when using the II as an interface.

Sent from my iPod.

Yeah, I don't use the AXE as my interface since I am doing other things in PT. Honestly, I've tried every configuration in PT even when I had my ULTRA. The converters in the 002 are awful so I used to go Line Out (ULTRA) into a Lavry AD10 then went SPDIF into 002 / PT 8. Which sounded really good. I was recording using SPDIF. When I upgraded to PT 9 the Axe II arrived so I thinned out most of my gear and bought a solid audio interface (Metric Halo) because I am tracking and editing off a macbook pro (FireWire). The issue was then latency because of the monitoring issues not worked out yet in PT 9 and third party gear. Upgraded to PT 10 and now toggle to the Metric in the playback engine and have Metric's Mio mixer open. Haven't had an issue in months and the tone is incredible / very open sounding then going direct with Axe in PT. Definitely noticed a difference A/B'd.

Honestly, with the 3.02 update, if you're not liking the stock preset sounds in Bank A something is up with your setup. Could even be your monitors or headphones. The stock sounds are that good and especially if you strip any effects it should still sound incredible. Also, follow Scott Peterson's how to for 3.02. Good luck!

Note: If you're using OUT1 to monitor then raise your levels for each preset if the rec level is too low = Mixer Level (amp block).
* Gain, Volume and Mixer Level will be different for each amp/preset and obviously should be used as well to tickle the red then rolled back slightly. I would work on just barely hitting the red in your Axe using the gain, vol and mixer level and then watching it barely hit the red in your recorded track in PT. The Axe Wiki and Scott P's notes saved me so much time. They're both very well written.

Last edited:
I never said anything about not liking the sounds 3.02. I'm not just getting a hot enough level in PT. My recorded drum tracks are clipping the out 1 on my Axe II. As a matter fact everything is ALL jacked up. When I record the guitar sound is all digitally distorted. It is getting VERY frustrating. I don't know if PT is the problem or some setting in the Axe II.

Yeah, I don't use the AXE as my interface since I am doing other things in PT. Honestly, I've tried every configuration in PT even when I had my ULTRA. The converters in the 002 are awful so I used to go Line Out (ULTRA) into a Lavry AD10 then went SPDIF into 002 / PT 8. Which sounded really good. I was recording using SPDIF. When I upgraded to PT 9 the Axe II arrived so I thinned out most of my gear and bought a solid audio interface (Metric Halo) because I am tracking and editing off a macbook pro (FireWire). The issue was then latency because of the monitoring issues not worked out yet in PT 9 and third party gear. Upgraded to PT 10 and now toggle to the Metric in the playback engine and have Metric's Mio mixer open. Haven't had an issue in months and the tone is incredible / very open sounding then going direct with Axe in PT. Definitely noticed a difference A/B'd.

Honestly, with the 3.02 update, if you're not liking the stock preset sounds in Bank A something is up with your setup. Could even be your monitors or headphones. The stock sounds are that good and especially if you strip any effects it should still sound incredible. Also, follow Scott Peterson's how to for 3.02. Good luck!

Note: If you're using OUT1 to monitor then raise your levels for each preset if the rec level is too low = Mixer Level (amp block).
* Gain, Volume and Mixer Level will be different for each amp/preset and obviously should be used as well to tickle the red then rolled back slightly. I would work on just barely hitting the red in your Axe using the gain, vol and mixer level and then watching it barely hit the red in your recorded track in PT. The Axe Wiki and Scott P's notes saved me so much time. They're both very well written.

Sorry, meant straight out of the box the levels should translate seamlessly or close to any users setup. I remember I had to do some light tweaking cause of clipping when it first arrived but then again I don't use the Axe as my interface in PT.

Sounds like it might be your sound card settings on your mac if you're going direct.

If you still have your 002 just go AXE II LINE OUT (back) into CH1 (back) in the 002 first. This will help you diagnose where the problem is coming from. Start from 002 and then work your way to playing/monitoring off the Axe if that's where you want to end up. I don't think the issue is in PT from what you're writing above. Make sure to select DEFAULT in the I/O (Pro Tools) for Input and Output. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I'll try that. I'm off to bed now.

Sent from my iPod.

Not to sound like a dick and I may have your situation wrong, but if your drums are clipping the out, turn down the drums.

Volume generally comes in the mastering stage, I'll aim for around -6db on my drum bus, guitars go in around -9 to -12db with vocals around the same this is all pre mix of course. If you're not leaving yourself enough headroom then you're gonna have a nightmare getting something balanced by the end of it all.

I see what your saying, but I already had my mix where everything needed to be (well, pretty close anyway) and then my II arrived... Even my guitar signal playing by itself through an armed track clips my output 1. I have a mastering limited on my master fader so I don't think the issue is my mix. I think it has to do with my II. See what I'm saying?

Is there some system setting on my Mac that I need to change or is this inside Pro Tools or in my II?

Aaarrgghh!!! I just wanna lay down some wicked awesome sounding guitar tracks!!! Not frustrated with you, just at the situation.

Sent from my iPod.

Back
Top Bottom