Recommend a Mic for acoustic guitar recording

I usually got multi tracked acoustic guitar:
  • Townsend Lab (now UAD) Sphere in 180 mode
  • matche pair of Rode NT5
  • piezo sound
them I mix according to what I need for that song. Often, especially for dense pop song the piezo alone get the work done.

just now I've been working on an Acoustic preset based off @Cooper Carter G66 vid on direct acoustic. I have a TC body rez pedal in the OUT 3 - In 3 loop. I was wondering why I was only getting mono (left) signal unless i had a pitch or delay block later in the signal path to make it more stereo then figured it must be due to the body rez pedal. the loop i have placed after the amp block so I'm guessing this takes it back to mono yes? i tried placing the FX loop before the amp block in the grid which leaves things stereo but sacrifices the tone a lot. the body rez sounds best placed IMO after the amp block but then it affects the stereo signal. thoughts?

I'm not sure if this is related or plays a part in this signal path. I'm running spdif into the Axe from my Apollo. In the Axe i have the I/O settings correct.
Digital input source: spdif
spdif/aes out source: output 1
input 1 source: digital
Im working on this acoustic axe FX 3 preset things too. Today made one that it's quite decent sounding (for my ears atleast ;D (Taylor GSmini-E).
Need to do same work for Taylor 210CE later but before that below is soundtest clips (Taylor GSmini-E and Axe FX3 preset).
No post-processing and just straight recording (Taylor GSmini-E -> Axe FX 3 Mainout 1 L and R -> Presonus Line in 1 and 2 -> Studio One 6.5 and recorded).

First clip is with my own ballad backing track (video I put things together using FLstudio 21) and second just without backing track only guitar.

(guitar starts at 0.14)

https://maihinnousu.net/s/33538

Last edited:
Im working on this acoustic axe FX 3 preset things too. Today made one that it's quite decent sounding (for my ears atleast ;D (Taylor GSmini-E).
Need to do same work for Taylor 210CE later but before that below is soundtest clips (Taylor GSmini-E and Axe FX3 preset).
No post-processing and just straight recording (Taylor GSmini-E -> Axe FX 3 Mainout 1 L and R -> Presonus Line in 1 and 2 -> Studio One 6.5 and recorded).

First clip is with my own ballad backing track (video I put things together using FLstudio 21) and second just without backing track only guitar.

(guitar starts at 0.14)

https://maihinnousu.net/s/33538

that sounds really good. Going direct via the Axe? and yet sounds quite natural!! meaning not so 'direct'

that sounds really good. Going direct via the Axe? and yet sounds quite natural!! meaning not so 'direct'
Yep! Direct Guitar to Axe FX 3 and of course Axe is connected to my audio interface.
I look one video in Youtube first and use that information, but didn't use any IR etc. and made some my own tweaking.

This video I checked

I put that preset to Axe change if someone want to check it and tweak it. If different guitar then small tweaks for (AMP bass/middle/treble) (PEQ) and EQ needs to do). And if don't want that other delay (500ms) then not using or tweaking.

That my preset base for my Jazz guitar preset and some parts I checked from that video. I realize that Jazz guitar preset can work quite okay with normal acoustic guitars.

Here is that preset: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=10897

Last edited:
Yep! Direct Guitar to Axe FX 3 and of course Axe is connected to my audio interface.
I look one video in Youtube first and use that information, but didn't use any IR etc. and made some my own tweaking.

This video I checked

I put that preset to Axe change if someone want to check it and tweak it. If different guitar then small tweaks for (AMP bass/middle/treble) (PEQ) and EQ needs to do). And if don't want that other delay (500ms) then not using or tweaking.

That my preset base for my Jazz guitar preset and some parts I checked from that video. I realize that Jazz guitar preset can work quite okay with normal acoustic guitars.

Here is that preset: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=10897

thx for the share. I just finished watching that vid and got those free IR's. made a scene with the blocks and values to compare with mine. I'm def getting a really nice acoustic sound here even direct. Love seeing different approaches

thx for the share. I just finished watching that vid and got those free IR's. made a scene with the blocks and values to compare with mine. I'm def getting a really nice acoustic sound here even direct. Love seeing different approaches
I forgot to take those IR's :D (I take them now)
I usually don't use IR's but maybe I need to check them and use)

Back
Top Bottom