Rear input question!

peerhan

First of all, Axe FX is phenomenal! — and goodness! How exciting is all of this countdown stuff?!

I was hoping someone brilliant can tell me what the deal is with the rear input. I've read the wiki's, but I still do not understand.

Will the back sound exactly like the front if I turn the unit up and set the I/O to "Analog Rear"? There is repeated mention that, "the front is optimized for guitar pickups". Is that only because it is not line level?

I've tried plugging in to the back of the unit and noticed some pretty undesirable tone changes. How would I set up my Axe to make the rear input sound like the front?

I've recently added a wireless receiver to my rack and found it much more convenient to plug into the back.

Thanks,

Peerhan

The front has the "secret sauce" for guitar pickups. (also better s/n ratio)
The back is like a regular line level.
You can not make the back identical to the front... sorry

:cry

You can make the rear identical to the front. You must select the proper input and match gains. Once you have done that, the two are sonically identical. The "secret sauce" in the front input is a noise reduction encode/decode scheme that does not affect tone.

You can make the rear identical to the front. You must select the proper input and match gains. Once you have done that, the two are sonically identical. The "secret sauce" in the front input is a noise reduction encode/decode scheme that does not affect tone.

OK so it's "identical" but with different SN ratio.... does that sound identical?
What about the different impedance load if you are using passive pickups?

:?

First of all, Axe FX is phenomenal! — and goodness! How exciting is all of this countdown stuff?!

I was hoping someone brilliant can tell me what the deal is with the rear input.

Rear input can be very exciting with the right HB. Be confident, don't rush, etc.

J/k. Seriously, I dunno anything about AXE-FX; still researching...

OK so it's "identical" but with different SN ratio.... does that sound identical?
Yes. Tone will be identical between the front and rear inputs. In most cases, input noise will be inaudible even without the front side's extra noise reduction.

What about the different impedance load if you are using passive pickups?
If you change your pickups, you will change your sound, regardlless of which input you're using. Both front and rear inputs have an impedence of 1 MOhm — they'll handle either passive or active pickups.

I'm thinking about using the rear input when I'm using my wireless, which can have a much higher output than my guitar. Does this idea make sense? The main reason is, it's much more handy to keep the cables on the back, I can use my short monster cable patch cables (they make a huge difference, try them!)

That makes plenty of sense. Set the I/O as Analog Front; use the right jack of Input 1 for your wireless.

Rex did say wireless to the right input, which wouldn't be affected by the front/rear setting.

There's one thing to maybe take note of if using L & R ins at different times with the same presets: to avoid adding a little extra noise from the unused channel you'd have to switch input 1 mode between left & stereo as needed and set presets up to only use the right channel from the input section, i.e. set amp input select or an earlier balance control right.

No. You must set the input as Analog Rear in order to get the same response (flat) from the rear input that you get from the front input with Analog Front slected.
That's only true for the left channel. There is no difference between front and rear response on the right channel, because the right channel has no front input. It has no pre-emphasis/de-emphasis in any case, and its response is identical, regardless of the front/rear input setting.

That's only true for the left channel. There is no difference between front and rear response on the right channel, because the right channel has no front input. It has no pre-emphasis/de-emphasis in any case, and its response is identical, regardless of the front/rear input setting.

Yep, MLebofsky pointed this out to me a couple of years back. He words were something like, "Try it" :)

Back
Top Bottom