Reaper.......fantastic

While Reaper isn't perfect... it IS being incrementally improved. And for me anyway, $60 ($50 when I bought mine) is one heckuva deal for what you get with "free" upgrades.. - much like the Axe :)
When you put it up against most DAW's out there today - and that includes everything that I have used/seen from "high-end" stuff like SAW Studio, PT and Samplitude down to Cubase, Sonar and others - it's no contest!

OK-I just have to ask-You are saying Reaper is by far the best DAW available? Wow-quite a statement. Give me a break. AS I said before, I have installed it and uninstalled it so many times it's ridiculous. I keep saying let me try-that's 1,2,3 and 4.
The $$$ is the big winner for most and then it's touted as the best in the world, ..................defending that $60 daw? I think so. It is good, it has it's place.
I have been using midi since the 80's, yes the 80's. Had Alesis sequencer and drum machine for a duo. Then got a Kawai Q-80/ That actually was an advancement-it had a floppy drive for saving sequences. I made a good living using mid with duo's and trios .
Reapers midi has not nearly caught up.
But if you don't use midi (a lot) you wouldn't care. Understandable. And if there was any more text in the menus I would get dizzy. So please. Let's be fair, It's OK, real ggod for audio projects if you can handle the menus, I cannot.
I'm not defending Sonar, I am defending every other DAW that has been developed for many mnay years. Studio One V2 blows Reaper away.
To each his own. But the best-nope their isn't one.

For those that are knocking Reaper's MIDI capability, have your tried the MIDI editor / capabilities in 4.x? As I understand it the leap from the 3 to 4 was pretty huge. If you have tried it in version 4 what do see as lacking?

to be fair, Windows xp has to be the best OS Microsoft has ever made. It just worked. I've tried 7 and I'm not too fond of it. There's a reason that a lot of pc games still support xp still. I still love my macbook pro and OSx though. So far no viruses. That I know of. If I hadn't thrown myself into pro tools, Reaper would be great. Except for the lack of a MIDI editor thing.
I've been running Win7x64 since the late-Beta/Early RC releases and have found it to have it's quirks, but I've also found it to be more stable than XP in most areas. The biggest challenge with 7 is the base memory footprint is larger due to "most" software still being 32-bit and running in the Wow64 (32-bit VM). And most XP apps run on Win7x64 - but nothing that is 16-bit will!

But software labeled as "native 64-bit" often isn't true 64-bit. The overhead to run the 32-bit stuff increases memory use by a factor.
Even MS recommends installing the 32-bit version of Office 10 unless you plan to use spreadsheets larger that 2GB! I mean, really ???

XP has had plenty of time to had 3rd party app stability, but I've had w-a-y more issues with audio/graphics on XP than I've ever had with Win7 in time I've been running it. I have no plans to go back to XP. None!

OK-I just have to ask-You are saying Reaper is by far the best DAW available? Wow-quite a statement. Give me a break. AS I said before, I have installed it and uninstalled it so many times it's ridiculous. I keep saying let me try-that's 1,2,3 and 4.
The $$$ is the big winner for most and then it's touted as the best in the world, ..................defending that $60 daw? I think so. It is good, it has it's place.
I have been using midi since the 80's, yes the 80's. Had Alesis sequencer and drum machine for a duo. Then got a Kawai Q-80/ That actually was an advancement-it had a floppy drive for saving sequences. I made a good living using mid with duo's and trios .
Reapers midi has not nearly caught up.
Most "sound bites" like the segment you quoted me on above - are taken out of context. I did not state that Reaper is by far the best DAW available
That's your take inference. What I stated was that for $60 it can't be beat. I stand by that statement.
It may not meet your midi needs... it does mine. But that brings up the whole "it's a tool" thing that many on this forum believe is what the AxeFx is all about. Use what works for you.
Obviously that is not Reaper. I am not about to try and convince you otherwise.

to be fair, Windows xp has to be the best OS Microsoft has ever made. It just worked. I've tried 7 and I'm not too fond of it. There's a reason that a lot of pc games still support xp still. I still love my macbook pro and OSx though. So far no viruses. That I know of. If I hadn't thrown myself into pro tools, Reaper would be great. Except for the lack of a MIDI editor thing.
I hear ya. XP is supported with a lot of games but, directX has made so many advances in later versions of DirectX that simply are not supported in XP. Don't get me wrong, I use both mac and windows systems at work and I am a windows at home. I just cannot get into the mac thing. Yeah it looks nice but, I just cannot get work done as fast with the OS interface. Personally I think XP is OK once you update the shit out of it and Vista is a nightmare. 7 is an elegant OS.

-Nate

You know, I wonder how Linux users get by. It's gotta suck not having dedicated recording software/interfaces that are readily available.

Studio Newb here. I've been playing for enjoyment for several years and started using Garage Band a while ago to record myself now and then. Based on the comments here I bought Reaper last night for $60. The install went perfectly and I was able to get up, running, and recording in no-time and without reading the manual first as usual. So I still have a lot of exploring to do but I'm impressed so far with the ease of use. Here's what floored me though: The quality of recording I'm now getting from the Axe via Reaper seems off the map compared to Garage Band. Does that make sense? I did not think differenet recording packages would make a diffierence in terms of sound quality - I though it was more just about features. Am I hearing things or does it make sense that my recorded tone sounds way better with Reaper than with GB?

I both agree and disagree with XP being the best. As a user of everything from DOS, GEOS, Windows 3.1 - Win 7, and MacOS, I know my way around an operating system. XP was amazing, but was far "just working". I've spent many days and nights, sometimes in sequence, troubleshooting XP builds, especially when it was new. A lot of drives that worked in Win 98 didn't work in XP, but that was something I had to figure out the hard way. Formatting and re-installing took FOR-EV-ER. There were tons of security holes, even with excellent anti-virus/security software, I'd inevitably find a virus I didn't know I had usually months later when inserting a backup disc. Still, it was the best OS for a very long time due to it's enormous compatibility and the amount of control it gave the user.

I clung on to my beloved XP until last year when I upgraded to Win 7 and I have to say I'm extremely happy with the decision to change. Windows 7 is a worthy heir to the OS throne. Though I still have disagreements with it on occasion, they're more like lover's quarrels.

Win 7: "I'm totally going to help this guy out" /organize music
Me: "HEY! That freshly recorded track doesn't go in that folder! I don't want demo ideas on my ipod!"

Yep XP user for a long time, but made the jump to Windows 7 for my new DAW. I've been happy with it.

Beg to differ - I am running several W7 machines as well. They are much cheaper, more stable, and more flexible. The hardware is better quality and cheaper (the competition drives down the prices for high-grade components, whereas with Apple you get no choice).

As far as "choosing" Mac Pros - there is almost no choice if you are running Pro Tools hardware. I needed the PCIe slots, and the performance using external boxes and Firewire was not good enough for pro use. (Maybe with Thunderbolt this will change).

Your comment about "audio subsystem" don't make any sense. The subsystems in the OS are only used in consumer apps like Media Player or iTunes. All pro apps use proprietary systems. TDM is TDM no matter what OS you are on. Memory partitioning is far more important, and on Macs this is almost impossible to manage directly.

As far as video, since the Final Cut Pro X debacle, hundreds of professional video editors are switching to W7/Adobe Premiere. My 2008 Mac Pro was picked up cheap from a production house that was switching.

When Mac OS first came out it was streets ahead of Windows, there's no dispute on that. Windows back then was a hodgepodge of 16 and 32 bit code.

But Macs are now Intel machines, and the codebase of Mac OS is based on a 30 year old technology (that was never designed for 64 bit). Windows is far more stable, far more secure and much better value. (And yes, Windows is Much more secure than Mac OS. Google it.)

Thanks You +1,000,000

For those that are knocking Reaper's MIDI capability, have your tried the MIDI editor / capabilities in 4.x? As I understand it the leap from the 3 to 4 was pretty huge. If you have tried it in version 4 what do see as lacking?

Yup sure have

Most "sound bites" like the segment you quoted me on above - are taken out of context. I did not state that Reaper is by far the best DAW available
That's your take inference. What I stated was that for $60 it can't be beat. I stand by that statement.
It may not meet your midi needs... it does mine. But that brings up the whole "it's a tool" thing that many on this forum believe is what the AxeFx is all about. Use what works for you.
Obviously that is not Reaper. I am not about to try and convince you otherwise.

I was serious, that was the way I read it and still read it. I didn't take out of context on purpose. That's why I aske the question
and I will NEVER believe that $$ should determine how fgood or bad an app is, especially a daw. If it's good, it's good.
I agree, whatever works. Your posts are always so easy to read I was really just stunned the way I read it - that's all-Sorry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom