I had the GT6,8,10, & 100 (you may recognize the name if you spent time way back in the day on GTCentral, I posted quit a lot over there lol :D )
Anyway, you should familiarize yourself with the differences between the IIXL & the Ax8. There’s no sound quality difference just some functionality like dual amps.
I wish I could answer your question regarding if the GT could act as a MIDI controller for the IIXL, I would think it could if it can be programmed, but I don’t know if it can. But what I can also say is having an IIXL, if I were going back to gigging I’d be buying an AX8 & using whatever Wah/Volume pedal you like. (And that wouldn’t be lugging around a GT, it just doesn’t make sense)
Is the AX8 that much smaller and lighter than a GT8?

@ScotteeeRock Hey, I have a Boss GT-8 and used it for many many years and loved it. You can control the Axe FX with it and use the expression pedal and CTRL pedal, but it's been a while since I've tried it. To be honest, I only tried using the GT-8 as a MIDI controller once when I had the Axe FX for only like a week. I didn't get it to work exactly the way I wanted and was impatient so I didn't put a lot of time and thought into it. If I remember correctly, though, the thing is you'll have to set up the CC numbers in the GT-8 to match the CC# in the Axe FX.

For example, if you want to control the Wah...

Boss GT-8
- Go into the GT-8 MIDI settings and change the EXP Pedal to send MIDI data through CC# 16. CC#16 is the value in the Axe FX for External Controller 1.
- I can't completely recall, but I think there is also a EXP Switch available in the GT-8. If so, assign that to CC#97. CC#97 is the value for the Axe FX's Wah Bypass.

Axe FX
- In the Wah block, assign a modifier on the "Control" parameter. Make the modifier "Expression Pedal 1".

Should be all set after that.

Same goes for the CTRL Pedal. Change the CC# in the GT-8 to match the CC# you want to control in the Axe FX.

I don't think you assign pedals 1 - 4 unfortunately. I remember wanting to use those to bypass effects and stuff, but couldn't find a way to edit their CC values.

Here's the Wiki page with the list of available values:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/gen1/index.php?title=MIDI_CC_numbers_for_the_AxeFX

Good luck!

Last edited:
@ScotteeeRock Hey, I have a Boss GT-8 and used it for many many years and loved it. You can control the Axe FX with it and use the expression pedal and CTRL pedal, but it's been a while since I've tried it. To be honest, I only tried using the GT-8 as a MIDI controller once when I had the Axe FX for only like a week. I didn't get it to work exactly the way I wanted and was impatient so I didn't put a lot of time and thought into it. If I remember correctly, though, the thing is you'll have to set up the CC numbers in the GT-8 to match the CC# in the Axe FX.

For example, if you want to control the Wah...

Boss GT-8
- Go into the GT-8 MIDI settings and change the EXP Pedal to send MIDI data through CC# 16. CC#16 is the value in the Axe FX for External Controller 1.
- I can't completely recall, but I think there is also a EXP Switch available in the GT-8. If so, assign that to CC#97. CC#97 is the value for the Axe FX's Wah Bypass.

Axe FX
- In the Wah block, assign a modifier on the "Control" parameter. Make the modifier "Expression Pedal 1".

Should be all set after that.

Same goes for the CTRL Pedal. Change the CC# in the GT-8 to match the CC# you want to control in the Axe FX.

I don't think you assign pedals 1 - 4 unfortunately. I remember wanting to use those to bypass effects and stuff, but couldn't find a way to edit their CC values.
Man that is great info. Makes it tough to make a decision though!

I had the GT6,8,10, & 100 (you may recognize the name if you spent time way back in the day on GTCentral, I posted quit a lot over there lol :D )
Anyway, you should familiarize yourself with the differences between the IIXL & the Ax8. There’s no sound quality difference just some functionality like dual amps.
I wish I could answer your question regarding if the GT could act as a MIDI controller for the IIXL, I would think it could if it can be programmed, but I don’t know if it can. But what I can also say is having an IIXL, if I were going back to gigging I’d be buying an AX8 & using whatever Wah/Volume pedal you like. (And that wouldn’t be lugging around a GT, it just doesn’t make sense)
Do you mean you can't have dual amps on the AX8? That may be a deal-breaker.

Do you mean you can't have dual amps on the AX8? That may be a deal-breaker.
you can have 2 amps in one amp block on an X/Y just not 2 Amp blocks concurrently.
So on the AxeFX IIXL you can run 2 amps at the same time, and actually have 4 total amps available loaded into one patch, whereas on the AX8 you would have 2 amps available.
However, it’s not something I really ever use, nor would I think many people do. Not that I haven’t and I have come up with some nice sounding combinations, but in all honesty, the amps alone all sound pretty freaking amazing once you really get a feel for everything it’s something I really don’t even think about doing. It’s not like anything is ever “missing” or “needs” something.
So really the object of “switching” of the Amp would be to switch the channel of the Amp you’re using. The amps modeled are done by Channel so one amp model, for example the Dumble ODS-100 (Robben Ford Model) is broken into 3 Amps for three specific Preamp channel settings, (Clean, Drive, Midshift).

On the Boss GT8 and 100 I like to use 2 different amps together...like a Marshall and a BG or something. There is something about combining amp tones that I really like about the modelers, otherwise I would just use my JCM900 by itself. It is really cool with the 4 cable method using the JCM900 as one of the amps in the chain and combining it with something like a Fender or a Vox Model. Again, I realize that the Fractal stuff is likely eons above the GT in tones and amps but still...

On the Boss GT8 and 100 I like to use 2 different amps together...like a Marshall and a BG or something. There is something about combining amp tones that I really like about the modelers, otherwise I would just use my JCM900 by itself. It is really cool with the 4 cable method using the JCM900 as one of the amps in the chain and combining it with something like a Fender or a Vox Model. Again, I realize that the Fractal stuff is likely eons above the GT in tones and amps but still...
Yeah I hear ya, I used to do the same exact thing on the Boss GTx stuff too. And got some pretty good tones out of doing that as well, but this really is a different kind of architecture. You are going to have to change your thinking and approach in some ways. Like there’s no more worrying about unity across the whole signal path. Like you can use a drive block in the Fractal and crank the output volume all the way up just to drive the front end of the amp to distort sooner. Stuff like that, that works differently. And you’ll find that the Cabs are a HUGE part of your sound.. like 90%. They make a huge difference, and there’s a zillion available to purchase (very cheaply considering) but they can be tough to manage if you go down the rabbit hole like I have lol. But after awhile you’ll know what you like & you’ll learn a lot about speaker types and their characteristics. I’d be happy to point ya in a few directions if ya tell me what ya like to get ya started, maybe save ya some time & cash, as I’m sure plenty of others here would gladly offer their advice as well. Lotta great people here, & they won’t steer ya wrong.
Anyway, as far as the dual amps go, that’s definitely going to be a personal decision. I personally don’t think you’re going to find you’ll need or even want it after you really get up & running, but I could be wrong.
I don’t know your financial situation so here’s my take. If you are gigging & in the position to get the IIXL & a MIDI controller & a vol/wah pedal go for it. It sounds to me that’s ultimately what you really want & are trying to talk yourself into. But you’re really going to need a controller. Coming from the ease of the GT it’s going to absolutely kill you not having that control if you don’t anymore.
If you can’t immediately swing all that, then grab the AX8 and a Vol/Wah, it’s going to be so far beyond the GT & it’s all set to go. You can always sell it & not lose much on it at all and grab an IIXL with the controller if you ever think you need it. The Vol/wah you’ll need anyway.
Unless you can find a way to get the GT to control it.
The only other thing is you could grab one of those Behringer 1010 with the chip, I know they’re cheap, but they work.

Yeah I hear ya, I used to do the same exact thing on the Boss GTx stuff too. And got some pretty good tones out of doing that as well, but this really is a different kind of architecture. You are going to have to change your thinking and approach in some ways. Like there’s no more worrying about unity across the whole signal path. Like you can use a drive block in the Fractal and crank the output volume all the way up just to drive the front end of the amp to distort sooner. Stuff like that, that works differently. And you’ll find that the Cabs are a HUGE part of your sound.. like 90%. They make a huge difference, and there’s a zillion available to purchase (very cheaply considering) but they can be tough to manage if you go down the rabbit hole like I have lol. But after awhile you’ll know what you like & you’ll learn a lot about speaker types and their characteristics. I’d be happy to point ya in a few directions if ya tell me what ya like to get ya started, maybe save ya some time & cash, as I’m sure plenty of others here would gladly offer their advice as well. Lotta great people here, & they won’t steer ya wrong.
Anyway, as far as the dual amps go, that’s definitely going to be a personal decision. I personally don’t think you’re going to find you’ll need or even want it after you really get up & running, but I could be wrong.
I don’t know your financial situation so here’s my take. If you are gigging & in the position to get the IIXL & a MIDI controller & a vol/wah pedal go for it. It sounds to me that’s ultimately what you really want & are trying to talk yourself into. But you’re really going to need a controller. Coming from the ease of the GT it’s going to absolutely kill you not having that control if you don’t anymore.
If you can’t immediately swing all that, then grab the AX8 and a Vol/Wah, it’s going to be so far beyond the GT & it’s all set to go. You can always sell it & not lose much on it at all and grab an IIXL with the controller if you ever think you need it. The Vol/wah you’ll need anyway.
The only other thing is you could grab one of those Behringer 1010 with the chip, I know they’re cheap, but they work.
REally appreciate your input, as well as everyone on the forum (I said it before but worth repeating) It is refreshing to have a helpful welcoming forum. Not everyone is a complete newb ...just maybe new to the product. When it comes to spending this kind of money, the forums like this are even more important.

For me at this point the $$ are an issue for sure. The difference between waiting another 6 months or so to get the complete setup or the IIXL now and use the GT8 or 100 or maybe even the 3 as a controller...or get the AX8 and exp pedal now. My wife keeps saying "just get the AX8" (don't hear that too often)

Based on what you've said about liking to use dual amps, I'd just go the XL+, you will end up regretting buying an AX8 (don't abuse me AX8 users, I'm just going on what he said :) )

A lot of presets I'm using use dual amps (I bought them! don't have the time or skill to do it myself) and I know what you mean they do sound great.

In terms of a foot controller, it depends on what you need and how quickly. You can get away with the Boss units or two for sure, but if you are gigging or using complex presets you will soon want to move on I think. A cheap Behringer would fit the bill for a while, you certainly don't need to splash out on an MFC straight away.

Based on what you've said about liking to use dual amps, I'd just go the XL+, you will end up regretting buying an AX8 (don't abuse me AX8 users, I'm just going on what he said :) )

A lot of presets I'm using use dual amps (I bought them! don't have the time or skill to do it myself) and I know what you mean they do sound great.

In terms of a foot controller, it depends on what you need and how quickly. You can get away with the Boss units or two for sure, but if you are gigging or using complex presets you will soon want to move on I think. A cheap Behringer would fit the bill for a while, you certainly don't need to splash out on an MFC straight away.

....and the pendulum swings back the other way lol

Well, you’ll never have any regrets, and there’s also nothing worse than second guessing yourself. Go for it.
You can always sell it a bit down the road, not lose much as they retain their value incredibly well & buy an Ax8 if that’s the route ya want to go down instead. But going the other way would be more difficult. Makes the most sense.
Welcome aboard!

I use dual amps / cabs a lot of the time myself, so I can relate. If it were me and I had the money, yes, I would go for the XL+. Also, the AX8 doesn't have certain parameters in the cab section that I like and use.

Last edited:
Very precise comments and advices!

Just get a controller and a separate controller and mount them on a board of your choosing. Once thats done theres no difference in the logistics or cable requirement.

I used a rocktron all access which was great, before moving to the MFC. still use a single Rocktron Hex as my pedal for Wahs.

They sit - fully cabled - on a small board that requires a single lead to the Rack and Im good to go.

I get you want to use what your failure with - but with just a little effort - there is no downside with a completed controller board.

Most MIDI controllers that I know of, the ones from Voodoolabs and the Rocktron, don't have expression pedals. The idea probably being that users want to customize their rigs anyway, so they give them the freedom to add as many or as few as they like. Also, what if it breaks down? I got a Line6 HD500 where the expression pedal does zilch, so I have to hook up an external one. But I can add one. I'd rather have a unit that allows me the freedom to add more. Besides, what chore is it to get hook up one or two expression pedals? The Roland EV-5, I use two of them, weighs basically nothing.

I advise to get the Axe-FX II XL+. The AX-8 as stated does not do dual amps, it also has less DSP, so it can do less FX as well. It's most definitely not an XL+ in a floorunit, as is the case with Line6 units. Its an Axe FX light in a floor unit. Perfectly usable if you're into simple setups. If you need dual amps, or like me are into heavy use of FX, get the Axe FX instead. As for a MIDI controller, that depends. The MFC works perfectly with the Axe FX without the need for lots of programming. If you want to use more then just the Axe FX, maybe you start looking into something else instead. Something geared towards using multiple MIDI devices.

Any midi controller can control the Axe FX.
I have a really cheap midi controller. A modded Behringer FCB1010 and I see no reason to upgrade. It has two expression pedals btw.
If you bought the AX8, you won't need anything else, but an expression pedal. You can get really good ones...

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record, when I got my Axe, the plan was to control it with my Behringer FCB1010, which is quite similar to the GT. I love my FCB; it’s light, compact and powerful. I have simple needs for my Axe and was able to set it up, MIDI and all, relatively easily.

But iit kept locking up. The software would freeze and require a re-boot. I never figured out what it was, exactly. I think it had to do with simultaneous USB and MIDI communications at fault, but I’m not sure.

The whole exercise was moot, though, and prolly just me being cheap. There is functionality in the MFC that you just don’t get with any other controller. I picked up an MFC and simply couldn’t be happier.

The Axe, along with the MFC, is a marvel of ingenuity. When I come upon some feature or function I haven’t thought about, I am reminded of how unbelievably well thought-out it is. It is the most professional and useful piece of musical kit I’ve ever owned.

My advice: if you want the whole Axe effect, get the Fractal controller. You won’t be dissappointed.

Having two amp blocks available per preset is useful for seamless switching, or morphing/mixing between two amps. I don't know if this applies to the AX8, but the XL+ has a split second audio gap when switching between X/Y states of an amp block, and when switching to another preset. I noticed you had an MP-1. The gap is sort of like when switching between patches on that. There are creative solutions to this gap on the forum, but IMHO the simplest solution is just to have two amp blocks in a single preset.

If money were no object, I would get the MFC and a few expression pedals.

FWIW, I have a Behringer FCB1010. I already had it from a previous rig, so I couldn't justify getting an MFC. It can be modded to have a stomp box mode, but mine is stock configuration, just with the phantom power mod. It comes with two expression pedals. Considering what you get, it's a bargain.

Well, after this new beta firmware was just released & I had a chance to spend most of the day today messing around with it. So, I was going thru some of my old, old patches from many firmware’s ago that I just never kept current & came across a group of my dual amp patches. I suppose one of the reasons I didn’t bother to keep them current is that it’s twice the work to update each amps settings & I tend to often use a few of the deeper amp parameters that I like to tweak. Even though they’re always the same few parameters, they’re not the same settings, so I have to write everything down & put ‘em back in. (I know, I know, it’s not the end of the world & everyone does else does it too.)
Anyway, to the point, in lieu of our discussions & this thread regarding the usage of dual amps, I’m back to being a strong supporter of it! While it is definitely more work dialing everything all in together there are some really great advantages to it as well. Not only the bigger thicker sound of sonic bliss, but the true biggest advantage is being able to blend two different amps that can compliment each other & make up for the others deficiencies. The patch I was working on today is a Two Rock & Carol Ann OD2 on the X Channels and then on the Y is a Two Rock & BludoTone, (for Clean/Edge of breakup depending on how hard ya pick, & guitar vol.) The amazing thing is about all of this is, is that between all of these I think the only thing I touched on any of the amps as far as tone controls go was I turned down the Bass from 5.00 to 3.35 on the Two Rock. I did tweak the new Speaker Drive & the other settings I tweak, but those are all dynamic settings. I realize I’m rambled here a bit, just trying to relay my renewed dual amp mojo.
:D

Back
Top Bottom