Hey everyone, I have been reading and browsing this forum for some months learning everything I can about Axe-FX and AX8. I have the money in my stash to buy either one now, but my hangup is the footpedal--No expression pedal.

I have been using Boss GTs since they came out (and still have about every version) and have always been able to get really nice tones with their preamps and effects running through my Marshall JCM 900 setup...even without the 4 cable method just using the Marshall Tube power and building amps and tones.

The thing is--I like the actual pedals themselves. From the response of the Expression pedal to the rugged build.

I love the tones I hear from just about every artist that has an Axe FX and I really want to see what the deal is....so my big question is: Can I use the the Boss GT (any of them) as a midi controller for the Axe-FX II ...especially the expression pedal for wahs and volumes etc. I have read people using the big bulky behringer pedal are happy but I just cant see that being a good call. (If Fractal made a pedalboard with a built in expression pedal this would not be a discussion at all)

Thanks

Fractals midi controller mfc101 is excellent. It doesn't come with exp pedals because they want to give you options. The mission is great and only cost around $120. However, even a cheap $20 M audio exp pedal works great with the MFC. In my experience even a cheap exp pedal works way better then the crappy built in ones on the Boss GT.

I had a GT8 and am sure you could use the exp pedal and CTL pedal to send midi cc which would work fine with the axe

I had several boss pedals and GT multi-effects pedalboard...When I got the AX8, my previous Boss units sounded like cheap toys. The sound quality of Fractal units are really another league (top). I use a Boss FV500L as expression pedal with my AX8 unit.

I get that, that isn't the question. Never questioned the quality of Fractal anything. i don't want to carry around extra pedals cables... I don't want a separate expression pedal. The question is will the Boss GT pedals work. Plus I have them already and wont have to spend hundeds of more $$$

I used to have a gt10. When I got my axe I got myself two boss fv500 expression pedals.
Took me around 2 days for my foot to adapt ;)
I now use fractal EV1.
I know both the FV500 and EV1 are quite big....but maybe the EV2 would suit you better as it's closer to the size of the gt pedal?

I had several boss pedals and GT multi-effects pedalboard...When I got the AX8, my previous Boss units sounded like cheap toys. The sound quality of Fractal units are really another league (top). I use a Boss FV500L as expression pedal with my AX8 unit.
That is what I am hoping as far as the sound quality.

I get that, that isn't the question. Never questioned the quality of Fractal anything. i don't want to carry around extra pedals cables... I don't want a separate expression pedal. The question is will the Boss GT pedals work. Plus I have them already and wont have to spend hundeds of more $$$
Got it! I don't know the answer. Someone will show up soon and answer.

I used to have a gt10. When I got my axe I got myself two boss fv500 expression pedals.
Took me around 2 days for my foot to adapt ;)
I now use fractal EV1.
I know both the FV500 and EV1 are quite big....but maybe the EV2 would suit you better as it's closer to the size of the gt pedal?
I wonder if just the ax8 and an expression pedal would suit me. I am going to use it primarily for live use anyway.
I just don't want to miss out on the quality if I go that route.

I wonder if just the ax8 and an expression pedal would suit me. I am going to use it primarily for live use anyway.
I just don't want to miss out on the quality if I go that route.

You will be perfectly fine. Thats what I would go for. Nice, light and simple setup :)

Keep them both :) and use two exp pedals :)

You can always have the GT8 in the loop of the axe fx, I loved some of the distortion and overdrive effects in the GT8 but the axe is in a completely different league for amp sims

I'm really tempted to try. The GT8 is my favorite and I have 2. I have the GT100 as well but meh
If you intend to use mainly live, my recommendation would be to go with the AX8 + any expression pedal(s) you like. You will be able to do everything that the GT100 does and much, much, much more!!! Will probably fit in cases you eventually use for the Boss GT. The sound quality is exactly the same of the Axe-Fx.

The main problem you might have using the GT controllers as your main controller for the axe will probably be that it will be difficult to change scenes.

Scenes make the axe really powerful as I'm sure you know. You could use the CTL pedal to select between two scenes but accessing scenes 3-8 would be a challenge I THINK.

If you intend to use mainly live, my recommendation would be to go with the AX8 + any expression pedal(s) you like. You will be able to do everything that the GT100 does and much, much, much more!!! Will probably fit in cases you eventually use for the Boss GT. The sound quality is exactly the same of the Axe-Fx.
that is likely the route I will go. I have several different power-amp/stage setup options that I am anxious to try. Couple older rack power amps I used to use (Mosvalve and ADA) with the old MP1 back in the day. Should be fun to 'side by side' compare them all with the Marshall

I had the GT6,8,10, & 100 (you may recognize the name if you spent time way back in the day on GTCentral, I posted quit a lot over there lol :D )
Anyway, you should familiarize yourself with the differences between the IIXL & the Ax8. There’s no sound quality difference just some functionality like dual amps.
I wish I could answer your question regarding if the GT could act as a MIDI controller for the IIXL, I would think it could if it can be programmed, but I don’t know if it can. But what I can also say is having an IIXL, if I were going back to gigging I’d be buying an AX8 & using whatever Wah/Volume pedal you like. (And that wouldn’t be lugging around a GT, it just doesn’t make sense)

Back
Top Bottom