RCF NX12SMA- First Impressions, Comparisons

Great idea, Java. I actually have one of those stands (with a tile saw sitting on it right now!) It is definitely sturdy! Do you feel any "tippiness" with the legs drawn in that close?

no, the are actually resting a bit on the top of the rig. That stabilizes it. Although, if i had the room I would extend them out further.

What kind of $$ are we talking for one of these?
I have a II coming Wed
B

Sent you a PM with the answer. Bottom line is that we can't post his prices online, but the answer to your question is found by emailing mike@audiopyle.com. Mike is an authorized dealer for RCF, and has the best prices around. They just can't be posted online due to RCF's rules.

Mike was great to deal with. I will be contacting him when I can afford a second one. I love the sound and finally feel that same amp/speaker percussive presence I loved in my Boogies. It makes me want to do the Dr Frankenstein thing... "it's ALIVE!!!"

I used to play the AXE FX2 through Mesa 2 :90 and Marshall Cabs. Nice combination allowing for good tones ... but only after extensive tweaking to adapt bedroom level patches to rehearsal volume. Very heavy rig also … while I did like the Marshall logos in my back …
Good tones … but not perfect tones … I decided to go the FRFR road. I tried a few days playing through a low quality wedge, just to test. Then Scott oriented me towards the RCF NX-12SMA active speakers and having read on these forums tons of positive feedback, I jumped in the pool and ordered a pair of these. They have been delivered this afternoon. After a first test only, I DO confirm that it was the good choice for me: very good tones, clear and punchy … with that “oomph” that I was worried about losing. I also confirm that it seems that you hear “more detail” through these speakers. Difficult to describe but very positive feeling. And I have no doubt any more that they are really LOUD (without losing the quality of tone). They are not exactly inexpensive, that’s a fact. But the ratio quality/price is still VERY favorable. Thanks Scott.

Added perspective:

I have experienced what Scott and Merlin were talking about when they mentioned the NX being really directional. Played last night at a gig where the stage was really tight, and had the speaker on the floor to my left (no room for a stand) and about a foot or less from my left foot. Outside the "cone" the sound wasn't so much different as is was noticeably quieter, and a step or two to center stage and it was much more pronounced. Not that it sounded bad, but it's the first really clear demonstration of the directional nature of the speaker.

Now, you'll probably laugh, but there was one other location it would have fit... out in front, similar to Scott's setup. It would have worked great, I'm sure, but it would have been literally at the edge of the dance floor and I had a few visions of beer getting dumped into that mega-dollar coaxial transducer... just couldn't persuade myself that it was worth it. All in all it worked out fine, and it wasn't a huge obstacle. But I am learning more about how to best use this speaker every time out. Still very impressed with the sound.

Added perspective:

but it would have been literally at the edge of the dance floor and I had a few visions of beer getting dumped into that mega-dollar coaxial transducer....

Just need to bring back the sock hop, where it's all about the dancin, not the drinkin (or smoking.....) .

I hate stumbling onto threads like this one. I’ve been trying to find reasons to not to buy these, couldn’t find any….hmmmm, shit…gotta have 2?… no way around it! (Presses the checkout button!)

Solarfire, you wont be disappointed. I love to sit and play and tweak with these. Love them!! Oh, and Pyle Audio rocks the deals and service!

I really dont need one of these but i'm tempted. My experience so far is that I like the Axe FX 2 better out of my cheapo Princeton chorus more than either of my Mark series amps and cabs. It would be nice to have 2 to experience it in stereo.

I have had a stereo pair purchased from Mike @ audioplyle and they are all that. Not cheap, but did you want cheap? Much bigger and clearer tones than my pair of v 30 2x12 cabs. You will Not be disappointed. As far as the Matrix new set up, why would you want to have an amp in your carry around rack with passive monitors? and it ends up being more expensive than getting two powered RCF's

Just received a NX-12SMA. First impressions...

Smaller and lighter than a K12. Sounds better than a K12 too.
I like the Powercon. Easy controls.
The tone is very unhyped, very pleasant and natural.
Brighter than my Adam A7X monitors, but otherwise comparable (unlike the K12).

Just received a NX-12SMA. First impressions...

Smaller and lighter than a K12. Sounds better than a K12 too.
I like the Powercon. Easy controls.
The tone is very unhyped, very pleasant and natural.
Brighter than my Adam A7X monitors, but otherwise comparable (unlike the K12).

Alexander,

My recommendation to folks is to work with them over extended periods and then go back to whatever they were using. The strength of these boxes is that they are exactly unhyped. After using it for about a week or so... comparatively other stuff just sounds, IMHO, obviously hyped. (Overstatement, but honest). Nice thing is that even at gig volumes, you won't be blasting the snot out of your ears (assuming you have snot in your ears... LOL). Once you are used to these, other solutions (speaking of powered/unpowered wedges - apples to apples) will expose their colors.

The only solutions that can compete with this speaker for me are all starting around 2X the price of these. There are better speakers, but as of yet I've found nothing in the price range that delivers the whole package like these. They are far from perfect; but the RCF NX are very good.

I never liked the K12; favoring the K10 by a wide margin in comparison. Between the K series from QSC and NX series from RCF, it is just a different class/level of gear.

I really enjoy working with this speaker.

IMHO.

Indeed! So far I like it a lot, even through the snot in my ears. :)
Of course, the positive reviews by you, Rick and others paved the way.
Have yet to try it at rehearsal.

Which brings me to the never ending story of IRs. I think I've found the ultimate IR mix that works for me. At least for this week .... :)
I combined a Mesa MarkIIC EVM (Royer 121, Cap 2), BasketWeave G12M25 (U87, CapEdge 2) and BasketWeave G12H30 (MD421, CapEdge 0,5).
This gives a very punchy and balanced tone, that works equally well with clean tones as crunchy and dirtier stuff.

P.S. For the record, I love Kevin's OHs too. The OHs do require other amp settings, which don't work too well with my real cabinet(s).

Alexander,

My recommendation to folks is to work with them over extended periods and then go back to whatever they were using. The strength of these boxes is that they are exactly unhyped. After using it for about a week or so... comparatively other stuff just sounds, IMHO, obviously hyped. (Overstatement, but honest). Nice thing is that even at gig volumes, you won't be blasting the snot out of your ears (assuming you have snot in your ears... LOL). Once you are used to these, other solutions (speaking of powered/unpowered wedges - apples to apples) will expose their colors.

The only solutions that can compete with this speaker for me are all starting around 2X the price of these. There are better speakers, but as of yet I've found nothing in the price range that delivers the whole package like these. They are far from perfect; but the RCF NX are very good.

I never liked the K12; favoring the K10 by a wide margin in comparison. Between the K series from QSC and NX series from RCF, it is just a different class/level of gear.

I really enjoy working with this speaker.

IMHO.

That's just great Scott.... now I'm going to think of this every time I plug into my FBT! WTF!!! I feel G.A.S. coming on!!

Back
Top Bottom