RCF NX12SMA- First Impressions, Comparisons

Scott is spot on concerning the ear fatigue. I play two p&w services on sundays. First one can run quite long at times and I receive way less ear fatigue then i did with my k12. The rcf is just a better put together, & balanced sound to my ears. Even at higher levels it comes across very even. I don't regret buying it for one moment.

*Note to Rick - You can flip them over 'upside down' and that lessens the angle they aim. I do that for sidewash monitoring on bigger stages like you just played. Works well and other folks can hear them on stage fine... yet your singer will not give you dirty looks because it won't get into their mic nor hurt their ears.

Thanks for the info, Scott. If I run into a "how do you..." sort of question with it, I hope you won't mind me dropping you a PM!

@redburst- I do notice it doesn't wear on you through the gig with the edgy tone that even some vocal monitors give you. It was very ear-friendly.

I definitely like the fast recovery of the speaker, and the way it moves air because of it. Especially on clear, funk type things. Really makes those parts pop right out.

Last edited:
Rick - Great review and you have really gotten my interest in the RCF's, as had others.

But, I am really interested in if you have had time to use the NX12 and the Atomic in a stereo configuration. For some reason that approach has hit a nerve with me and I am most interested in anyone's views who has tried that setup. GAS has struck again; and as always it is great!

i honestly think you'll get a more balanced sound using two nx12's.

i have experience of the atomics (pair of powered wedges in stereo) and the nx10's (pair in stereo)

i haven't run both together, but the 12's have such a transparent image, it would be a shame to pair it with something that pales in comparison. and they sound completely different...

Rick - Great review and you have really gotten my interest in the RCF's, as had others.

But, I am really interested in if you have had time to use the NX12 and the Atomic in a stereo configuration. For some reason that approach has hit a nerve with me and I am most interested in anyone's views who has tried that setup. GAS has struck again; and as always it is great!

I did not try them in stereo, as I had my Axe II set up for a single speaker (my normal rig). But I did connect them on an A/B/Both switch box (Taylor brand, if interested) when I was comparing them, and it gave me a chance to combine them with one button push. They actually sound nice together, complimentary even. The Atomic is a decent (though somewhat, well, flat in comparison) sounding speaker, and has more apparent high end. The RCF has much more detail and a much punchier low and mid production, so combined there is a little more upper high end audible. Because they do sound so different they are definitely usable together, however... (see note below)

i honestly think you'll get a more balanced sound using two nx12's.

i have experience of the atomics (pair of powered wedges in stereo) and the nx10's (pair in stereo)

i haven't run both together, but the 12's have such a transparent image, it would be a shame to pair it with something that pales in comparison. and they sound completely different...

I tend to agree with Simeon. As the RCF can be EQed to produce more highs if you want them, and the detail of the speaker is so much better, I would think a stereo pair of them (10 or 12, both highly regarded from what I have read) EQed to your tastes would be the best of everything. With The RCF being roughly 2/3 the size (I need to go ahead and compute the volume to get more exact on that), two of them will significantly reduce your setup size, with a real and clearly audible gain in performance to boot.

But... (always one of them)

I don't have a second one! So, if I need more air movement or want to go purely stereo on a preset, I would not be at all bashful about firing up the Atomic with the RCF. The Atomic is still a good sounding speaker and doesn't get in the way (tone-wise) of the RCF, so sometimes you "dance with the girl ya' got!" Until I get this RCF paid for and can afford a second, this will be my plan when two speakers are demanded.

I have a aluminum stand from Ultimate Support that can do lights or speakers (the pole is different sizes on each end). I am going to give that a shot on the next wide stage gig. Looking forward to hearing that all over the stage!

Here's a newb question regarding the powercon stuff on these. Does the powercon 'ac link' mean you can run another power cable from that jack into a 2nd unit's 'ac input' to power the 2nd unit? So, I don't have to plug them both in to an outlet?

Here's a newb question regarding the powercon stuff on these. Does the powercon 'ac link' mean you can run another power cable from that jack into a 2nd unit's 'ac input' to power the 2nd unit? So, I don't have to plug them both in to an outlet?
Yes, exactly.

I've used and currently use tripod speaker stands that are intended for PA cabs. I'd like something that is lower at its lowest setting to be more guitar cab/combo type height .....

You guys are killing me with all this RCF talk --- got quote in hand ..... trigger cocked ........ waiting to hear more on the CLR ........maybe........ gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas

Second gig done, a bit more compact stage. I was having some issues with several of my presets bumping the output clip lights so I worked on the presets today until I got them all balanced and clear. It really made a difference in the tone, preset to preset, and it blended so much better in the stage mix. And this speaker is really starting to shine now that I am putting a better blend of sounds through it.

I think the best compliment I can give the RCF speaker is that I wasn't really thinking about it tonight. I wasn't struggling with my sound, fighting odd tones, or fiddling with levels. I was just playing, and it was a nice change! And by the way, we were playing pretty loud this time... my sound cut right through but blended so well. Now that I have had a few practices and gigs to get the rig dialed in I feel I am just now hearing it's potential. And it is good.

My only worry is that some goober is going to pour a beer into it or something!

Last edited:
That in itself makes a strong argument for tripod (or stand) mounting.

Yeah, I agree. There was not enough room to use a stand on this stage.. I brought one but couldn't find enough real estate for the base of it to fit. I moved it to my left and slightly back, figuring I only had to account for the keyboard players drinks then! :)

Yeah, I agree. There was not enough room to use a stand on this stage.. I brought one but couldn't find enough real estate for the base of it to fit. I moved it to my left and slightly back, figuring I only had to account for the keyboard players drinks then! :)

With the stand I posted above the speaker stand fit into the x of the the stand legs. I put the height of the speakers just above the rack. It doesn't take much more space than the rack alone.

Here you go:
2012-07-01_16-25-25_808.jpg

2012-07-01_16-25-15_693.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-07-01_16-25-25_808.jpg
    2012-07-01_16-25-25_808.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 16
I order one of these a week ago from Mike, got it in 4 days! Did my 1st gig frday night with it! In the words of Frank Barrone " HOLY CRAP" this monitor kicks seroius butt ! Couldn't believe the tone,detail, and clarity over the Atomic ive been using, or the FBT 12 m I had prior. as Scott said " It just sounds right" ! Can't wait till next gig!!

Great idea, Java. I actually have one of those stands (with a tile saw sitting on it right now!) It is definitely sturdy! Do you feel any "tippiness" with the legs drawn in that close?

Back
Top Bottom