RCF NX12-SMA

A couple of thoughts (caveat: I don't own either system):
  1. You can't judge a monitor's maximum power or volume level by looking at the setting on the volume knob. That only tells you how sensitive the monitor is. The only way to know maximum volume is to crank it until it clips, then back off a hair and listen (instead of looking at the knob). It sounds like you have enough volume for your needs.
  2. Your mix sounded bright. Was it because your monitor is too bright, or because his monitor needs an overly-bright mix to sound "normal?" Or because FOH is too dark to begin with? Assuming your monitor was pointed at you, were you listening to his monitor off axis? That will make his monitor sound darker in your ears.
  3. I wouldn't expect the relative performance between the Alta and the RCF to change much in a band situation, but you'd have to listen to know for sure. You don't always get what you pay for, but when the price difference is this large, it's almost guaranteed that the more expensive speaker will significantly outperform the less-expensive one.

Thanks Rex

To clarify, the FOH mix was spot on, his monitor I listened to on axis during the show and it was closer to the FOH, which is what I want from my monitor. I do mainly the lead guitar work and backing vocals, so I need a good representation of the FOH, sound so I can accurately set tone and volume of both guitar and vocals throughout the performance. I don't need to hear the bass but do need drums and my mates guitar and fox.
The K8 is really clear and I can easily hear every element of the mix, it's just a bit bright and I can't EQ the mon mix. Tried the deep switch on the K8 on the last song of the gig, it was like world war 3, crazy bass, the whole stage shook, switched it back after the fist verse, frightened us both to death. Lol.

Was the vocal boost engaged on the K8, that could explain the brightness.
I theory the K8 should sound more like the K12s you use as PA than the Alto...
I don't know either the K8 and K12, I DO know the K10. It sounds harsh in comparison to the RCF NX, but it does not have too much treble...

The Alto cannot compare; it's a budget product.

The RCF is a professional level product, albeit entry level professional level.

The QSC K series is very good pro-sumer gear; but it's really not on the same level.

Maybe the RCF 10-SMA would be the best choice for you to check out? Also - keep in mind that the Atomic CLR series is supposed to drop in the next few months. Don't know your time frame.

All IMHO, YMMV.

Sounds like you did your homework and you know what you're looking for. But before you scrap the K8, Peter may be onto something, if you've got it set for vocal boost. Off the cuff, you'd expand its sound to more closely match the K12's your running at FOH.

Thanks Fellas

I can deffinataly confirm the vocal boost is not on.

I think I'll see how the next few gigs go befroe making a decision

cheers

Hello! Firstly, apologies for taking so long to post back, but been waiting for my replacement RCF plus had a couple of minor health things going on, but now back in action...

So, I got the replacement RCF! Tried it out for the first time yesterday and immediately it sounded different from the one that I had been originally sent with the rattle. MUCH punchier and full sounding, so that was a good thing.

I took Scott's advice and dialled in a preset from scratch using the RCF, rather than comparing a preset I had created on the Atomic powered wedge I was using before.

The Atomic and the RCF are completely different beasts. I originally thought (after a day of playing with the RCF) that the Atomic had a *touch* more warmth than the RCF, but the RCF beat it on all other fronts (clarity, punch, size, weight, response at volume etc).

I had a rehearsal with it last night and it sounded GREAT. Needed to tweak presets a little, as you'd expect at full tilt, but the tone was there in spades and remained clear and full at volume. *Very* nice to play with.

I came back last night thinking ' Yep, love it, wish it had that little touch of warmth missing from the Atomics', but happy.

About 10 minutes ago, I went back to the setup as we're prepping for a gig this weekend. Still sounded great, but *still* a little irked at the missing bit for me. I went through the preset and thought.... You complete and utter doofus... when I was setting up the presets, I was tweaking 'Speaker Drive' from the Amp block as opposed to the new 'Motor Drive' in the Cab block!! (I'd like to blame the fever I've been wrestling with, but I think I have to chalk this one up to stupidity)... I just turned up the Motor Drive in my Cab and BANG!! There it is.... man, what a subtle but totally 'feelable' difference!

So, RCF good, Sukh stupid, setup awesome.

Just for shits and giggles, I tried the same patch through the Atomic and it sounded horrible. I'm guessing that because the RCF is essentially a really good PA monitor, it'll mean that my patches should translate better to PAs where we play (as long as the PAs aren't horrible, of course).

I also have to say I think the Atomic is great - I've loved every minute of playing it and if I hadn't heard the RCF (and figured out I was being a wally with Motor Drive), then I'd be very happy with it. Definitely a different beast, definitely has its own feel, but (to my ears) not as clear or punchy sounding as the RCF.

Now, time to try to re-learn 26 songs by the weekend. Eeek!
Sukh

Anyone else seeing very long lead times for the RCF NX12-SMA.
I briefly (only a few days) had a Verve 12ma and returned it to RMC audio to get the RCF.
It's been since early Jan that I ordered the RCF...all I can get is they are on order and it's going to take a while.
I know I should have ordered from Mike @ pyle audio but I had to return the Verve to fund the RCF and got stuck using RMC...they seem to be at RCF's mercy.

"Holy schnikes," OMG! This thing rocks!!!!!!! I bought this about two months ago and because of school and moving into my new house, have not had the time to play it. But, WOW what a monster, this thing is smoking good. Turn this up to stage volume and massive headroom, clarity, and almost silent operation, and this is with a guitar cable, probably will sound better with a balanced cable. This thing is the "cats pajamas." I can only imagine what the 2-12 would sound like? I'm actually very happy that I did not get a dud from RCF, and actually thinking of buying another, and maybe running the band's pa with all of these monitors. Scott thanks for turning the forum onto these fab monitors. On of the best things I noticed is how good this sounds when you are anywhere from 1-6' away, it's very warm, organic and these observations are made from using stock presets, without a whole lot of tweaking. Scott and RCF thank you.

Very interested in the FRFR solution.
One thing I have noticed comment on is " nearly silent operation"
I hear absolutely no noise from my Yamaha DSR 112.
Can anyone elaborate ?

Thx

I hear a little hiss from mine that's constantly there and doesn't change as u turn up. Once you're making a little noise, u can't hear it.

(more first impressions of RCF)

Got to try one of the RCF NX12's this weekend.
I didn't have a lot of time to tweak prior to my gigs. I took my Patches (dialed in on Studio monitors) and send them directly to the RCF.
Damn, this thing is clear and loud. Tons of headroom and just a really clean sound. My patches translated really well.

Night 1, I had it one the floor with the 'monitor' switch ingaged (low end cut). Sounded killer, my guitar cut through the mix REALLY well. Very organic and I can hear articulation that I haven't heard before (of course, this means it shows my playing flaws a bit more....yikes)
Night 2, I had it proped up on a rack case, so I put the RCF on it's side (standing straight up)....also killer. Just for fun, I turned off the low cut on the RCF and holy crap! Anyone who things this box doesn't have enough low end for them....think again. Sounded like a beefy 4x12 cab and I immediately wanted to start playing Pantera riffs. Hard to believe that sound was coming from that box.

If I was buying a monitor tomorrow....it would be the RCF all the way.
Being that I don't "need" a new monitor right now....I'm trying to hold out so I can compare to an Atomic CLR....but who knows if my GAS will let me wait.

My first impression is the same as all of the other folks who own this.....EXCELLENT.

(more first impressions of RCF)
Sounded like a beefy 4x12 cab and I immediately wanted to start playing Pantera riffs.EXCELLENT.

Hey, let's not get ahead of ourselves... I have two of these and while I prefer it over, say the Mackies, and recognize that it has very good clarity, volume, etc., I think sounding like a 4x12 cab is a stretch. To really know, you'll need to play it right next to a 4x12 cab. I was all gung-ho about it until I tried right next to a lower end 2x12 marshal and... it really didn't compare in the room. I hope to chalk this up to bad presets on my part and I'll have another session next to real amps/cabs to get closer to their sound (for the purpose of a live crowd if the amp/cab actually has a desirable sound - not so much for me since I'm kind of hooked on the in ear + speaker way of playing).

Love the enthusiasm but would like to curb it for the sake of future buyers. Essentially be wary of ANY FRFR if you are attached to "real" cabs. It may or may not work so do the A/B test ;-0

Hey, let's not get ahead of ourselves... I have two of these and while I prefer it over, say the Mackies, and recognize that it has very good clarity, volume, etc., I think sounding like a 4x12 cab is a stretch. To really know, you'll need to play it right next to a 4x12 cab. I was all gung-ho about it until I tried right next to a lower end 2x12 marshal and... it really didn't compare in the room. I hope to chalk this up to bad presets on my part and I'll have another session next to real amps/cabs to get closer to their sound (for the purpose of a live crowd if the amp/cab actually has a desirable sound - not so much for me since I'm kind of hooked on the in ear + speaker way of playing).

Love the enthusiasm but would like to curb it for the sake of future buyers. Essentially be wary of ANY FRFR if you are attached to "real" cabs. It may or may not work so do the A/B test ;-0

I've played my RCF NX 12SMA right next to a 100watt Marshall Anniversary Head and a Marshall 412. It more than 'compared' to the rig Jeff was using. It actually freaked him out a little. It's not a battle though; he could be louder and there's no debating it. If it is only a battle of sheer volume, he'd 'win'. But it is not a competition for volume; in fact quite the opposite.

My current bandmate uses an Egnater Rebel - it's a $1200 112 combo. It sounds great, no question. But...

My tones didn't 'wash out' or need tweaking or any of the other stuff folks like to post when directly comparing a conventional analog rig to a FRFR rig. I'd not trade my rig for his in a million years; I like my Marshall stuff from the Axe-FX better than the actual amp because I've dialed it the way I prefer it. If you can't keep up with a half stack... or a 212... with two of these boxes... man, I dunno. Two of these would crush other rigs. Mount them on stands and get them projecting... you might hear it very differently.

FRFR is not 'amp in the room' it never was, it will never be. I don't hear 'amp in the room' as the ideal though. Not anymore. And no amp in the room can compete with what I can do with a few taps and switches on my midi controller either. It's time to flip the script - let's see someone with a "real" cab and amp even come close to having what I have at my disposal. Mic that 'real' cab up and put it in the FOH and lets step out in front and hear what I bring and what the 'real' amp/cab can bring. In a show for my rock/country band I'll bring a 12 string acoustic/6 string acoustic/DADGAD tuning and full on electric tones (via my JTV-59USA and PRS Custom 22) on either/Fender/Marshall/Vox/Matchless/Trainwreck/Bogner Shiva/Bogner XTC/Cameron/Mesa Recto and a myriad of effects tailored, in tempo and perfectly mixed on the fly with expression pedals to the party. And it is a party. No one with even a massive pedal board and a half stack can touch it for sheer versatility and full on amp tones minus all the bells and whistles. I might not sound exactly like his Marshall, but I really don't want to. I want my Marshall tones to sound like MY Marshall tones.

Sorry Grape, I see it; scratch that. I hear it 180 degrees differently.

Last edited:
FRFR is not 'amp in the room' it never was, it will never be.

All of what you said is good affirmation. Sadly, I do believe the amp in the room is what people are expecting so I'm just tempering the response. When I played next to a marshal 2x12 (and a fender 1x12) the difference was striking. Volume was not the issue and neither the marshal nor the RCF's were turned up anywhere near unbearable levels. I had two RCF's side by side and tried one and both in all three positions and tone wise, it was a humbling experience. I messed with some presets for a bit and gave up. I wasn't thrilled at the time but I didn't get the RCF's for this purpose. If I had, I'd be mighty upset since these speakers aren't exactly cheap.

I want to be clear though, the RCF's are outstanding for what they do and obviously they are working for you. But when I read things like it sounds like a 4x12 cab, I need to say something. Reminds me of a guy who purchased a new laptop and went raving about the display quality. I took one look and knew for sure if he put it up next to say, a macbook pro display which I had been staring at for hours prior, he would have been sad. Only difference is, I didn't have the heart to show him (I'm not equating you to him by the way).

By the way SparkyG, since you are using this for mixed material, the RCF is an obvious choice. My comments are restricted to those considering a one to one replacement with a guitar combo.

Grape, have you played with the cab IRs? They make ALL the difference.
Also for the AmpInTheRoom feel turn up the Room level in the cab block.
I find it VERY convincing.

Back
Top Bottom