RCF NX12-SMA

Hey Sukh You just made my day. I'm really happy with my Atomic 50/50 and passive cabs. They have a good feel as you say and I like the JVM too awesome crunch!!

I'll probably stick with the set up as well

Cheers

James

Don't get me wrong man, I thought the RCF was excellent - just very different to the Atomic. It could be exactly what you're looking for, it just wasn't for me!
Well worth an audition for them both. The size and weight is a BIG advantage over the Atomic and the sound is significantly clearer, but it is a very different feel. Not better, not worse, just different.

And no, that's not my politicians answer - just my honest opinion!

Don't get me wrong man, I thought the RCF was excellent - just very different to the Atomic. It could be exactly what you're looking for, it just wasn't for me!
Well worth an audition for them both. The size and weight is a BIG advantage over the Atomic and the sound is significantly clearer, but it is a very different feel. Not better, not worse, just different.

I think for me the advantage is that I have the passive cabs which are light and my power amp is in a "Suitcase" rack with the AXEFXII, so in some senses its more portable than having to lug the wedges with power amps, although the load is spread.

I think for me I get all the accuracy I want from my studio monitors. When I'm playing live I want the thump man!!! I am sure the RCF is very good though and for the price seems excellent value. I think when the drummer and the bass player get going and everything kicks in, its hard to tell the difference between these things, What you want is a good sound to intersct with and play off. I find iget good feedback from the atomic wedges and with appropriarte patch setupa they sound great. Probably the best live sound i've had. the lightness of the cabs is a plus-point, that's why I'm going to sell my Bad Cat 30!!! That IS heavy Man, but sounds good

Here's what I would suggest if you still have it available - tweak in your tone that you prefer actually using the RCF; removed from the Atomic. How/what/why you tweaked in your tone with the Atomic will not work with the RCF. Once you've dialed in your tone with the RCF... then switch back to the Atomic. It will expose the weaknesses of the Atomic pretty plainly. (My thoughts on that are detailed below).

What you are doing is akin to "'demo' love". Someone falls in love with the demo of a song they did to such an extent, that the actual final version sounds 'wrong'.

Now I could be wrong, and I have no problem with that - and I am not trying to sell you on the RCF (I don't know anyone at RCF and don't give a hoot about them; I do know Tom King and like him personally very much in fact) but what matters is accuracy.

I'd also concur that the upcoming (shortly upcoming) 5.0 firmware will do is deliver exactly what you are looking for and it's not far off. It's very likely that your taste and opinion are subject to change shortly.

Or not.

The Atomic's issue, IMHO, has been the (lack of) clean headroom and the bass response (it humps in the lower mids). unless your drummer plays a lot softer than most do, you need at least 2 Atomics to make it work. One RCF can do the job very very well IMHO.

Now if you are not in a hurry, there are rumblings of something coming from Atomic in the upcoming months that will set this entire discussion on it's ear.

Here's what I would suggest if you still have it available - tweak in your tone that you prefer actually using the RCF; removed from the Atomic. How/what/why you tweaked in your tone with the Atomic will not work with the RCF. Once you've dialed in your tone with the RCF... then switch back to the Atomic. It will expose the weaknesses of the Atomic pretty plainly. (My thoughts on that are detailed below).

What you are doing is akin to "'demo' love". Someone falls in love with the demo of a song they did to such an extent, that the actual final version sounds 'wrong'.

Now I could be wrong, and I have no problem with that - and I am not trying to sell you on the RCF (I don't know anyone at RCF and don't give a hoot about them; I do know Tom King and like him personally very much in fact) but what matters is accuracy.

I'd also concur that the upcoming (shortly upcoming) 5.0 firmware will do is deliver exactly what you are looking for and it's not far off. It's very likely that your taste and opinion are subject to change shortly.

Or not.

The Atomic's issue, IMHO, has been the (lack of) clean headroom and the bass response (it humps in the lower mids). unless your drummer plays a lot softer than most do, you need at least 2 Atomics to make it work. One RCF can do the job very very well IMHO.

Now if you are not in a hurry, there are rumblings of something coming from Atomic in the upcoming months that will set this entire discussion on it's ear.

Thanks Scott, all good advice.

Yep, I took that approach. A very simple chain with just amp, cab and delay and then tweaked them on both to try to get it to sound right for me (I didn't just take the Atomic tweaked preset and then stick with it for the RCF). Although the RCF sounded great and clear, I just preferred the FEEL of the Atomic.

I'm in no great hurry - just trying to satisfy a little GAS!

Will stick with the Atomic for now and wait to see what's coming along - intriguing!!

Cheers,
Sukh

Not to throw this topic into another direction entirely. But... to the RCF NX12-SMA owners, does your monitor have an excessive amount of white noise when turned up past half way?

Best,

-Chris

Not to throw this topic into another direction entirely. But... to the RCF NX12-SMA owners, does your monitor have an excessive amount of white noise when turned up past half way?

Best,

-Chris

No.

You can hear some hiss; but I use the XLR in and it's actually better in this respect (self-noise) than most other powered boxes I've used/tried.

i hate it when people say stuff like that

damn you, peterson!! (shakes fist at the sky)

:)

:D

As we all know, companies that thrive do not sit on their laurels.

Thanks Scott, all good advice.

Yep, I took that approach. A very simple chain with just amp, cab and delay and then tweaked them on both to try to get it to sound right for me (I didn't just take the Atomic tweaked preset and then stick with it for the RCF). Although the RCF sounded great and clear, I just preferred the FEEL of the Atomic.

I'm in no great hurry - just trying to satisfy a little GAS!

Will stick with the Atomic for now and wait to see what's coming along - intriguing!!

Cheers,
Sukh

Sukh,

Fair enough... though I'd also see if you could eek out a little more time to make the final call once you get 5.00. It's all about the dynamics and really revolutionizes what FRFR can/will be. It's the whole point of 5.00 and he's really - IMHO - done it. Dynamics = feel and it delivers it.

Sukh,

Fair enough... though I'd also see if you could eek out a little more time to make the final call once you get 5.00. It's all about the dynamics and really revolutionizes what FRFR can/will be. It's the whole point of 5.00 and he's really - IMHO - done it. Dynamics = feel and it delivers it.

Well, it's going back to Thomann as it also, I found out later, has the rattling issue / voice coil problem reported here earlier. The fault could have been affecting the tone/feel too, so I have asked Thomann to replace it with another and see how that one is.

Hopefully 5.00 will be out in time for me to try it with the replacement.

Will let u know what happens!

Sukh,

Fair enough.

On a personal note; it is frustrating for me to sit here and read of the QC issues - voice coil/rattling. Mine is fine, works great, sounds great. I recommend it based on my experience and then we have all these issues... which makes me feel bad.

Once you get one that works, it is a serious professional piece of gear. I am getting a bit gun shy about talking about the NX though at this point, until I feel confident that they've worked these issues out.

one of my nx 10's was doing that distorting/rattling thing. i took it to a gig and slammed it for an hour and a half and now it's completely fine...

when i first heard it, i contacted thomann straight away - they've now mailed me back with return instructions, but i don't know which of the two monitors had the fault....d'oh

s

Hey dude,

nothing for you to feel bad about! Shit happens, gear fails, problems occur.

Sun is still shining, birds still singing in the trees, people still dancing in the streets.

No biggie!

I am SO happy to report I've received my monitor, nothing is wrong with it, and it sounds GREAT. I was pretty concerned given the issues popping up but barring any setback this thing is a keeper! The only thing rattling here are the walls, was chugging at about half and MAN it was making anything not glued down shake! (measured it at about 100db) Getting nice feedback too when I let it sustain. I'm going to try to do a video of some heavier stuff to give you guys an idea.

Thanks Scott and Merlin for turning Scott onto em.

Dave

Sukh,

Fair enough.

On a personal note; it is frustrating for me to sit here and read of the QC issues - voice coil/rattling. Mine is fine, works great, sounds great. I recommend it based on my experience and then we have all these issues... which makes me feel bad.

Once you get one that works, it is a serious professional piece of gear. I am getting a bit gun shy about talking about the NX though at this point, until I feel confident that they've worked these issues out.

As an aside, I should also mention Mike Pyle. He referred to my comments in this thread of what the RFC USA people told me face to face as "conjecture" and got all riled up when I refused to name the people for his benefit. He concluded by telling me he is reporting me to RCF USA's President. Any thoughts I had of purchasing these from him after the problems are resolved have passed.

free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

As an aside, I should also mention Mike Pyle. He referred to my comments in this thread of what the RFC USA people told me face to face as "conjecture" and got all riled up when I refused to name the people for his benefit. He concluded by telling me he is reporting me to RCF USA's President. Any thoughts I had of purchasing these from him after the problems are resolved have passed.

Sounds like he is trying run damage control and in all fairness to RCF it is a fairly large company and unfortunately issues like the one some people are having do happen. Anyone remember when the Verve started to get real popular and some of the QC issues that followed?

I don't know what Mike expects to accomplish by reporting (you the end user) to the president of RCF. Personally I would have made a call to RCF USA and asked them to be a bit more careful as to what they tell the public, not send a customer to the principles office. I don't know Mike and I'm sure he is a nice guy but in this case all he really did was to turn a disappointment into a bad experience.

I asked you in email where you were getting YOUR information from, because although I am in daily contact with RCF nothing like the info in your earlier post has ever been related to me, and some references you made in our email exchange were completely wrong. I did not get "riled up", merely noted that you evaded answering my question about who you spoke with. Forwarding our email to RCF management was so they would know that someone THERE might be misrepresenting them, nothing actually to do with YOU. Sorry if you took it that way.

Thanks,
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
mike@audiopyle.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom