RCA Cable picks up hum when any interface is connected into computer - help!

RJSAudio.

Inspired
Heyo,

So, when I'm playing with my II plugged in USB into my MacBook, AND with a 1/8" Mini Plug to RCA cable going from my comp to monitors, whenever I plug in the RCA cable my monitors pick up a little hiss/hum. It's not just the II, it's any interface I use in combination with the RCA cable. Anyone have this problem/know a solution? I'm using a real basic LiveWire RCA cable, but I've tried two of the same cables and they both do it. Would a nicer cable help, or is it a hardware issue with my computer? It even happens when the Axe isn't selected as an interface in the comp or in the DAW, just simply having them both plugged into the computer does it. It does stop when I turn the Axe off, tho. Advice?

Just to clarify, this is not at all a Axe-FX II problem, it happens with any interface.

tHANKs.

If there's no noise when the Mac is unplugged then it's probably a ground loop. Can your other device run on USB power (not plugged into outlet), do you have the hum when it's on USB power? How about MacBook on battery and audio device on USB power (so only the monitors are plugged in and grounded)?

If any of these solve the problem, try putting everything on the same power strip. Or look at the humbuster cable for the AxeII

LMO may be on to something. It sounds like you've got a ground loop somewhere. The best cable in the world won't fix that.

Does the hum go away if you use *only* your computer and the monitors (does it go away when you remove the Axe USB cable and other devices connected to your computer)? If so, connect the Axe USB cable. If the hum returns:

Try a ground loop isolator between the computer and the monitors.

BEHRINGER: HD400

Or, try a USB ground loop isolator.

Keterex: USB-150 Full Speed USB Isolator

USB Isolator. « Circuits@Home

Sometimes, noise can be caused by a lack of adequate ground (usually a high frequency buzz as opposed to a deep hum). I've had to use ground loop isolators, or run extra ground wires, depending on the situation.

Back
Top Bottom