Rack case question (Gator?)

Mehnike

Hey can a get a quick survey of how deep the rack cases you axefx guys are using? (I mean depth in inches)

I just got a 6u 19" skb case and I have about 8 inches of unused space. Didn't realize there would be so much extra room. With the weight of the axe and power amp all situated towards the front, I have to be careful to position the case right so it stays secure on top of my cab. Its also a tad awkward carrying and over all a tad bulky.

Since I don't need to store anything in there so I figured I'd downsize while I still have the return period on it. Looked around and it seems Gator is my only option for a shorter depth(14.5") without going too short like the 11.5" skb case. This here: Buy Gator GR-6S ATA 6-Space Shallow Rack Case | 2 to 6 Space Rackmount Cases | Musician's Friend

Is gator my only option for a 6 space 14" case with a $150 max budget? Can anyone vouch for the quality of Gator's cases or should I steer clear? Seems their quality is a little lower than skb cases which concerns me.

Many thanks!

I have that exact case the handles are shallow can not get a good grip on it and just last show I did one of the laches doesnt lach right it just spins when i tighten it and hardly laches at all. I would stay away from gator.
I have had mine only a year.

+1 for EWI cases. We use them here at my university and they're crazy sturdy. Our setup is easily worth over a million dollars so we have some nice stuff and get high end stuff.

Whenever we don't have custom flight/rack cases made for u we go ewi. I never worry about those cases.

For those wondering we use D&B speakers, digico boards and even a yamaha m7.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

That's high praise. I'll have to check them out next time I'm in the market for a case.

Hi Mehnike, I recently purchased the Gator 6 space shallow space in which I have a Furman power conditioner, an AXE-FX Ultra, a Shure SLX-4 wireless unit, and an ART SLA-1 leaving me 1 space open for cord storage and routing. It sits up on my THD 212 cab,well made, and; Its "PERFECT"

I have the gator 6u shallow as well. I didg it. I've had it for about 1.5 years. I used to lug it to practice and/or gig 3 times a week for about 9 months straight, and never had any issues with latches or anything. I just recently got the axe and put it in the case, seems to fit perfect to me, but i haven't moved it or anything. I really like my gator case.

I have both the 3 and 4 space Gator shallow racks in my Ultra rig. IMO they're the perfect size and I've never had a problem with either.

EWI is your best bet as long as you don't absolutely need the lightweight properties of plastic cases. In my opinion, the sturdiness of wood and metal is worth the weight. Also, you won't really beat EWI's prices, even considering shipping, by buying ATA at a Guitar Center or similar. The quality of EWI, however, would easily justify a much higher price than Road Ready, etc.

I have Gator and SKB. The plastic used on the Gators is thinner than SKB's, but strong enough for my gear. I like the lighter weight. While the Gator is fine, it has two features I dislike.

The larger racks are lockable, with a pull-apart hinge on the bottom of the cover. This makes it impossible to remove the cover unless you tilt the rack backwards. I don't believe the six space has this feature however.

Also, Gator molds its logo into the top and bottom of the racks. The bottom logo can make it difficult to mount power supplies, power strips, etc. on the interior bottom.

On the positive side, the Gator has front and rear "rails" (holes for inserts), while my SKBs only have front rails. This, and the price, were the reasons I switched to Gator. But I wouldn't use them for a world tour.

I wanted to update that I contacted Gator and they are sending me a new latch free of charge. Good support!

Also, Gator molds its logo into the top and bottom of the racks. The bottom logo can make it difficult to mount power supplies, power strips, etc. on the interior bottom.
The reason they do that is that it adds rigidity to the top and bottom of the case. Without it the case would be much weaker.

I have used the Carvin (Road Warrior) 5 space case for years. It is Only $100. It is 13.2 inches deep. Carvin Case

the only down side is it only has a handle on one side. I am gonna eventually get another handle for it.......Some day! OK probably not since I have had it for about 5 years now and haven't done it;)

Just looked at the EWI. Killer deal and nice case. That will be my next case should I ever need one.

Last edited:
Heard these are actually high quality. Are the handles on them very sturdy? I mean would you pick up the case by the handles and shake up and down without being weary of something breaking? Are you able to keep cables plugged in with the back panel on?

Would you happn to have a pic of your setup with the axe in it?
Yes, the handles are very sturdy, along with everything else. I'm not sure about leaving cables plugged in--it looks like there is enough room the way the foam is fitted in the covers, but I haven't tried it.

I'm not sure what you wanted to see in a photo, but here's a quick iPhone picture...
IMG_0287.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom