Quick questions about volume knob output

ChrisCG

Experienced
Hey all two quick questions,

First where do you guys have your out put 1 and 2 knobs on the front of your axe set? Is there a rule of thumb for this, I have out 1 going FoH and out 2 to my frfr monitor. I want to say both of mine are set to around 9 o'clock but since I'm going to re level my presets today I thought I'd ask.

And send I saw some place and now I can not find it, that the Mfc has a setting that will allow me to change back to a ia switch I just switched from, meaning if I'm on preset 2 on ia 2 and move to it 3 I can simply hit 3 again and move back to it 2, what is this called and where can I find it to set that up.

Thanks

I have output 1 around 11 o'clock that is going to FOH. Out 2 is usually around 12 o clock and it goes to my stage monitor if i bring mine.

The nice thing with FW 17 is that you can now see the actual numeric value on the VU meter page of the utility menu.

I have output 1 about 47% for FOH and output 2 feeds my Matrix and Xitones at about 30%, although the Matrix is usually only turned up about 65%.

Your other question probably belongs in the MFC forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I usually have Out 1 set at about 50%, to FOH.

Out 2 is usually somewhere around 25% to 30%, depending on the stage volume, and volume setting on my powered FRFR wedges. I try to get Out 2 somewhere around where it matches what I think the mix should be where I'm standing, with my monitors. I rely on the sound tech to fold some back in to the rest of the band mates, in their monitors, if they need more. Out 2 setting can change drastically, if we're quiet on stage, or cranking onstage, or if my wedges are turned up or down.

I send Output 1 to FOH, set at noon. That gives the sound guy plenty of signal to work with, and it gives me the option of bumping my level a bit should an ugly situation arise. So far, I've never had to do that.

Output 2 goes to my stage monitor. I set that wherever I need to to get the stage volume I need. Beyond that, I never worry about what position it's at.

Thanks for your insight guys I appreciate it. So I set out 1 to noon I was already close to noon but bumped that up. And out 2 to my monitor at about 10 and that seems to be working just fine.

It is all going to depend where your patch levels are set at. If you have quieter average levels, you are probably going to turn it up more. If you have louder patches you would turn it up less.
I keep my average level around -8 to -9 db in the Axe-fxs VU meter. Normally I would go for ~0db but I use the fx loop so to keep the levels = when I turn on/fx loop with my devices and not clip some of the more sensitive out board effects; so I keep it a little lower. I keep my output 1 knob from 1~2 o'clock for boards w/o pads and full on with my DAW.

My outputs to FOH are at 9 o'clock. I used to have it at noon, but that was too hot for the big, new, expensive console at my church, even after padding.

I think I have settled on noon for out 1 that should give enough to the FoH guy and still have plenty left to go should he need more and out 2 is at about 10 in my practice room and seems to work well in that space. I did level all the presets with the new VU meters to around that 0 db. We have practice tomorrow so i'll see how I did when everyone is in there.

After reading this post, I may have been doing things wrong all along to this point. I'm running my signal from the AFX to my Matrix GT1000 to my cab and have my levels cranked all the way up on the AFX and then set my overall volume with the Matrix. Is this wrong?? I assumed to do that in order to feed the amplifier a full line-level signal, which I thought would be optimum. Also, I noticed that when adjusting the volume knobs on the AFX, it wasn't immediately responsive to the volume change (lags slightly in relation to initial knob input change), whereas with the Matrix, when I turn the knob the volume change is immediate and changes with the knob rotation.

I haven't run a line to a board FOH as of yet, but would assume that if it was clipping the input of the board, then I would just set my "B" output accordingly.

The Axe is capable of way more than "full" line-level signal. With the Axe's output cranked, you're sending a wicked-hot signal to your power amp.

The lab on the output knob is normal. I've never found it to be a problem .

After reading this post, I may have been doing things wrong all along to this point. I'm running my signal from the AFX to my Matrix GT1000 to my cab and have my levels cranked all the way up on the AFX and then set my overall volume with the Matrix. Is this wrong?? I assumed to do that in order to feed the amplifier a full line-level signal, which I thought would be optimum. Also, I noticed that when adjusting the volume knobs on the AFX, it wasn't immediately responsive to the volume change (lags slightly in relation to initial knob input change), whereas with the Matrix, when I turn the knob the volume change is immediate and changes with the knob rotation.

I haven't run a line to a board FOH as of yet, but would assume that if it was clipping the input of the board, then I would just set my "B" output accordingly.

Cranking the AxeFx output know may result in clipping the matrix input because I believe the Axefx out has the ability of pumping out way above line level. I run my axefx output know around 10-12 o'clock because of that possibility

Cranking the AxeFx output know may result in clipping the matrix input because I believe the Axefx out has the ability of pumping out way above line level. I run my axefx output know around 10-12 o'clock because of that possibility

I will check this tonight and repost. If, however, I find that I'm not clipping the Matrix, then is it best to have the AFX at full volume?

Ideally, you'd crank the Axe's output knob all the way, turn up the power amp until it just starts to clip, then back off the power amp until clipping stops. Now you've got full control on the Axe's output knob, from silent to just before clipping.

According to Cliff's comments in the wiki link that Yek posted, you should shoot for the knob at about noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Cliff's comments in the wiki link that Yek posted, you should shoot for the knob at about noon.
That's to make sure you don't overdrive downstream equipment that can't handle the power. If you follow post #17, that won't happen.

I have Out 1 at 20% and Out 2 at 50%, feeding a Matrix GT1000 into an NL212 cab. The Matrix is set from 12 to 2 o clock depending on the gig

Back
Top Bottom