Question about doing a fade-in.

DLM

Power User
Maybe someone can help me with this within the current abilities of the Axe. If not, I'll have to request a parameter change on the wish list.

I'm trying to re-create a patch from my Digitech GSP-2101. I managed to get it close sound wise, but the key element to it is that it uses a noise gate with a 1000ms attack, so it has sort of a ghostly kind of a fading in effect. I played with the gate and with the gate block but the attack on them only goes up to 100ms.

Does anyone know how to create this kind of a 1 second fade in effect either with the gate or without it? Any help would be appreciated. If it's not possible, I'll request an increase in the attack time parameter in the noise gate. It's a really nice effect and would add some cool effect possibilities for other types of patches as well.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. :)

Wild guess but could an envelope be assigned to a volume pedal or some other effects level parameter where that envelope could have it's start to finish sweep timing in the range you need?
There is a reverse reverb factory patch that sounds like it might have the components you are looking for, can't remember the name exactly but "reverse" is in the name

randombastage said:
Wild guess but could an envelope be assigned to a volume pedal or some other effects level parameter where that envelope could have it's start to finish sweep timing in the range you need?
There is a reverse reverb factory patch that sounds like it might have the components you are looking for, can't remember the name exactly but "reverse" is in the name

yep.

I use a volume block at the end of my signal chain and manually fade in (or out) with an expression pedal. I have never really tried an automated fade-in or out.

Thanks guys, but I'd need to have it do it with a higher attack on the gate to get the proper effect. Assigning a foot pedal to an envelope might do it, but the effect would be inconsistent when manually controlled with a pedal.

Appreciate the suggestions guys. Thanks!

The noise gate is the wrong way to do this. There are several ways you can do it effectively with the Axe-fx, but the simplest is to place a volume block in your signal chain, and attach an envelope as the controller for the volume parameter of that volume block. If you know what I'm talking about, try it, and you should be able to get there. If what I wrote sounds like gibberish, ask away, and we'll help you along.

Oh, hey that's an idea. I'll give that a shot and see how it sounds. Thanks man. :)

javajunkie said:
DLM said:
Oh, hey that's an idea. I'll give that a shot and see how it sounds. Thanks man. :)
That is what randombastage was saying.
Yeah, I think the OP was confused by randombastage's mention of manually controlling it with an expression pedal (which you can also do, but the OP wants an auto-swell kinda thing, I think)

Yeah but he suggested controlling it with a pedal if I read correctly. I was looking for a way to do it more smoothly and automatically.

DLM said:
Yeah but he suggested controlling it with a pedal if I read correctly. I was looking for a way to do it more smoothly and automatically.

reread it. I don't think you can assign parameters and envelopes to physical pedals. :D He suggest using a volume block and attaching an envelope to it. He misstated volume pedal when he meant volume block.

Ah ok. What sucks is, I had the rest of the patch built earlier today and had the rest of it sounding fairly close to correct. I was just missing that last piece of the puzzle, and thinking I wasn't going to get it anytime soon, I gave up on the patch and cleared it. Now I have to re-create it again. XD

I did manage to re-build a different patch that was really cool though. I'll post it soon. It came out really good.

Ok, I actually got the effect I was looking for, for the most part anyway. It's real close. I got it after playing around with the attack and ratio on the gate. I couldn't get it by using a volume block because I couldn't figure out how to set the envelope so it would do a slow swell open. I haven't worked with envelopes much, but I experimented a lot with the settings and couldn't really get it to do what I wanted.

Anyway, I did manage to duplicate the patch. Both the patches I've converted so far are rather involved and this particular one is more for special use. I'll convert one or two more over and then post them all together.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions guys. :)

DLM said:
Ok, I actually got the effect I was looking for, for the most part anyway. It's real close. I got it after playing around with the attack and ratio on the gate. I couldn't get it by using a volume block because I couldn't figure out how to set the envelope so it would do a slow swell open. I haven't worked with envelopes much, but I experimented a lot with the settings and couldn't really get it to do what I wanted.

Anyway, I did manage to duplicate the patch. Both the patches I've converted so far are rather involved and this particular one is more for special use. I'll convert one or two more over and then post them all together.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions guys. :)

You can get the envelope to do a slow open with the volume block in a couple of different ways:

Change the taper parameter
adjust the mid % in modifier menu down so it stay lower longer
use the dampening parameter in the modifier menu
use an ADSR instead of envelope

Oh cool, thanks for that. I'll spend some time playing with those today so I can get better with the envelope stuff. I didn't even try ADSR. I'll take a look at that one too.

Again, really appreciate the info. Thanks! :)

I've posted the two converted 2101 patches I was working on in the Share Patches section. Curiosity? is the one I was trying to get to work when I inquired about this stuff.

I think you'll find ADSR on volume is ideal. Try sust. mode, retrig on, level 100%, attack as desired, other times at minimum, threshold pretty low as you'd set a noise gate (which this creates, really) for the same effect.

And if you want to try envelope again, you might get good results maxing envelope gain & modifier mid value while lowering modifier slope. That will make it act almost like the ADSR but with a gradual fade out approaching the threshold (see attached image), and louder notes will actually have a faster attack. Possibly more useful at times for one reason or another.

DLM said:

Yea I was actually trying to say you could do it either manually or automatically using either the pedal or an effect that would control the 'sweep'. Problem is I barely understand the concept and haven't got to the point where I could do it myself yet, at least not without a lot of trial and error, so even explaining it is sort of beyond my ability too!
From what I've seen inside this beast though I'd be surprised if there wasn't three or four ways to get there!

Back
Top Bottom