QSC K12's Users?

Rain

Fractal Fanatic
Hello everyone, I've just had my CLR go down for the 2nd Time and now it looks like my RCF Back-Up needs repair...
Just wondering who is using the QSC K12's and how much they like them ....

Thanks
Rain

Last edited:
compared to CLRs and NX12-SMA, the K12 have hyped low and high end, so be prepared to adjust for that - probably global EQ. many run the Bass cut on the speaker itself, but there's nothing for the top end. the system itself is rock-solid i feel, so reliability is pretty high. if you can though, go to a music store and compare it to the Yamaha DXR12. i felt that one was a bit more balanced, though i haven't used it on a gig. gigged for years with a pair of K10 speakers, and those were great after shaping the low and high end.

compared to CLRs and NX12-SMA, the K12 have hyped low and high end, so be prepared to adjust for that - probably global EQ. many run the Bass cut on the speaker itself, but there's nothing for the top end. the system itself is rock-solid i feel, so reliability is pretty high. if you can though, go to a music store and compare it to the Yamaha DXR12. i felt that one was a bit more balanced, though i haven't used it on a gig. gigged for years with a pair of K10 speakers, and those were great after shaping the low and high end.
Thanks for your Input Chris any other recommendations? I really need something Ultra Reliable I have a bunch of shows coming up.... Price really doesn't matter

Thanks for your Input Chris any other recommendations? I really need something Ultra Reliable I have a bunch of shows coming up.... Price really doesn't matter
i think the K series are tanks. of course, anything can go wrong, but all my fellow audio guys who use Ks have not had issues. i haven't gigged the Yamaha DXR, but similar reports from my friends as well. i don't think anything more expensive would do any better for that, only if it sounds better to you. i'd definitely stay away from Mackie and JBL. EV is typically good. i'm sure i'm forgetting some other good ones.

N the K series QSCs there is a switch for using it with an external sub. I switch that on and it helps tremendously with the bassyness.

I personally think the Yamaha DXR series have smoother high end and less ear fatiguing than the QSC K series.

I have 2 DXR12 cabs but wish I had the DXR10 cabs because they sound just as good but smaller and lighter weight.

I use my DXR12 cabs for playing guitar, bass and music. I had tested every FRFR cab Guitar Center had with my Axe-Fx II. If you have a local Guitar Center, find out their least busy day and I'm sure they'll let you bring in your Axe-Fx II. I lucked out and they sold me 2 new Yamaha DXR12 cabs with stands for $1190 with tax included and Yamaha had $100 rebate, so $1090 total. I'm not sure why but they couldn't sell me a pair of DXR10's as cheap and I think they were $50 more. I wish I would have spent the extra $50.

I don't have hyped low end, or any more highs than any other frfr cab. Set to normal mode, high cut in cab block like everyone else, tweak patch. I've never had one sound man say I have hyped bass and highs. Only compliments, and it's never failed me, 10 year warranty.
Thanks for the info !!

I don't have hyped low end, or any more highs than any other frfr cab. Set to normal mode, high cut in cab block like everyone else, tweak patch. I've never had one sound man say I have hyped bass and highs. Only compliments, and it's never failed me, 10 year warranty.
I believe you, but it's so strange. Many k12 users say there is a lot of low end, and yet others strongly say the low end is comparable to any other speaker. *shrugs* I think we are all correct, but it's just weird.

I believe you, but it's so strange. Many k12 users say there is a lot of low end, and yet others strongly say the low end is comparable to any other speaker. *shrugs* I think we are all correct, but it's just weird.

I think it might have more to do with people unwilling to try something. Or just using stock presets, that are really bass heavy.

Somewhere on this or other forums you will find a post, or posts, from Jay Mitchell describing a corrective EQ for the QSC K10s as well as a suggestion to flip the wires on the tweeter because he discovered that their tweeters are out of phase.
Some of this info might be useful to K12 users as well, esp the bit about the tweeter being out-of-phase.
It's an easy mod to try.

I put a square piece of tape over my tweeter's and set to flat dsp (K12's). They are bullet proof but, not quite as nice sounding as my CLR's

FWIW
I don't play FRFR live.
Just can't get used to it, at least not with the IRs I've tried thus far.
But the CLRs I own *are* the best sounding FRFR monitors I've been able to try.
Including K10, K12, Elite, DXR, EV, etc.

I just tried out a K12 today. It's the first time I've run my Axe through a powered monitor. So while I don't have anything to compare it to, I can say I liked the sound overall. I did end up turning down a lot of Bass EQ, even on top of a cab lo cut of around 120hz. Once I did that, I felt the my patches sounded quite good. I would love to compare to something else.

The K12, at 41 lbs, is quite heavy.

I also put the HF mode to "vocal". This seems to bring up the mids and makes it sound flatter. I've had issues with bass when the K12 is on the floor near a wall. Probably sounds different in wedge mode or on a pole. I engage "Ext Sub" which, I believe, adds a 100Hz hi-pass.

I tried the high pass, but all that did was make my patches going out to FOH have too much bass. I prefer the filter in the cab block, and I stand mine up. Some stages are boomier than others as well, with any cab.

Back
Top Bottom