QSC K10's or 12's with my AX8?

Another quick question guys as I don't have time to look it all up. What else do I need as far as cables or anything else? Thanks!
All you'll need is a mic cable (or two for stereo) between the AX and your new monitor(s) to get you rocking! The monitor will come with a power cord.

Last edited:
I would get a single CLR for less than the cost of a pair of K8/10/12. If you really want stereo, I'd get a pair of Matrix FR12/10 for about the same price as the QSCs - they're a lot lighter and look like guitar cabs.

My stage rig is sometimes stereo, and sometimes mono. On larger stages, I use a pair of Euphonic VL110 cabs in stereo. On smaller stages, I use a single Xitone 1x12 wedge.

I have very few patches with dramatic left / right panning, and I have a second set of those same patches, without the hard panning. I only use the big L/R panning patches when we're at a venue with a stereo PA. Otherwise I just use the less extreme versions of the patches, and send a mono feed to the board.

The sound of stereo onstage is very satisfying. I think it sounds bigger and better, and because there is a little more depth from the imaging, it sits in the on-stage mix really nicely and allows me to hear my sound at a much more comfortable volume. I've been a professional musician for 30+ years, both onstage and in the studio. My experience has always been that the better you sound, the better you will play. With a mono source - especially one that is tightly directional and focused - guitarists tend to turn up because they want to hear themselves; so you wind up with an unpleasantly hot signal in some places. I have run stereo onstage for a long time, even when the mains are mono. It produces nice coverage and definition at a more pleasant stage volume.

I recommend trying out a pair of Yamaha DXR10 or DXR12 powered FRFR cabs. I compared the QSC K10 and K12 to the Yamaha DXR10 and DXR12 and I personally thought the Yamaha's had smoother high end and caused less ear fatigue. I also played music thru them and the Yamaha's sounded the best to me. The only thing I don't like about the Yamaha's is that you can't tip them back at an angle vertically like the QSC's. Guitar Center gave me a great deal too and I ended up buying a pair of Yamaha DXR12 and a pair of ProLine LST2BK Speaker Stands with NY State tax included for $1199. I wish I would have bought a pair of DXR10 because they're smaller and 10lbs lighter each but Yamaha had a $100 rebate for the DXR12 and only $50 rebate for the DXR10 when I bought them.

You guys think stereo is worth it or you think 1 cab sounds almost as good?

If you're the only guitarist in your band, you can make stereo work but if you're in a band with 2 guitarist, I'd go mono. I'm the only guitarist in my band and I used to go stereo with my 2 Yamaha DXR12's but I recently converted all my presets to mono because most of the places I play at have mono PA's, so my stereo delays sounded really weird in mono.

I still use both cabs in mono and I'd say they can compete with a real 4x12 half stack with a 100watt tube head. I used to use a Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab with a Mesa Boogie Stereo Simul-Class 2:Ninety aka 290 which could get super loud, so when I decided to switch to FRFR cabs, that was my benchmark for loudness. I always bring both my FRFR cabs just in case the venue doesn't have good monitors and then I use one of mine as a monitor for the drummer or the singer.

If you have the $ I'd say get 2 Yamaha DXR10's or 2 QSC K12's or get 1 and a speaker stand because I think it's easier to hear at ear level and you won't have to be as loud.

I use a single K10 for gigging. Plenty loud. Just switch the back to mic level input (yeah yeah I know) and you can get it to a good volume.

Make sure you dial your patches accordingly including a low cut and hi cut in the cab or you'll either rumble the stage or chop your ears off with high end.

Other than that, the k10 is plenty loud for a loud drummer. Decent sound, has somewhat plasticky top end but nothing harsh or crazy noticeable. Good for size, weight and price.

I tested K12 against K10 with Axe-FX II for five weeks. I bought two K10s because they sounded better.

I gigged with K10 for two years, using one K10 for club dates and two K10s for festivals. Very happy with the K10, until I heard it next to Atomic CLR.

I sold the K10s and am now using Atomic CLR (Neo). I use one CLR for indoors and two CLRs for outdoors gigs.

The difference between K10 and CLR was huge, once you placed them side by side.

I ran with the QSC's, both K10's and K12's for quite a while. I still have them. I also found the K10's sounded better to me than the K12's. Eventually I picked up a RCF NX12. This was a measurable improvement over the QSC's. A couple years ago I bought the Atomic CLR. This was another dramatic improvement and I've been completely satisfied since. So my vote is with the CLR.

I have K8s,10s and 12s. Like the 10s the best. 8s are good but don't have wedge cutouts. 12 s are a little too bassy in my opinion.

Well guys I got the k10's and the guy at GC was way cool and cut me a great deal using one of his coupons dropping the price from 1400 down to 1250 so I was able to buy my son the Flying V he has been wanting with the extra cash. Very cool. So now I just need to dial in some sounds. Are there any settings I need to adjust on the AX8 as far as stereo settings or anything like that? Hopefully everything will sound amazing as it is.

I roll off some highs and lows on the graphic eqs in the global menu. IIRC, -12db on 31 and 16k and -6db on 62 and 8k. I do this for both eqs, one for foh and one for my monitor, the QSC K10.

I roll off some highs and lows on the graphic eqs in the global menu. IIRC, -12db on 31 and 16k and -6db on 62 and 8k. I do this for both eqs, one for foh and one for my monitor, the QSC K10.

I do the same with my Axe-Fx II. If you don't lower the high end with FRFR cabs, you'll get really high pitched feedback and won't be able to get controlled feedback.

Well guys I got the k10's and the guy at GC was way cool and cut me a great deal using one of his coupons dropping the price from 1400 down to 1250 so I was able to buy my son the Flying V he has been wanting with the extra cash. Very cool. So now I just need to dial in some sounds. Are there any settings I need to adjust on the AX8 as far as stereo settings or anything like that? Hopefully everything will sound amazing as it is.

The QSC K10 is not exactly "flat response." :) If you are looking to improve the K10's accuracy, my suggestions would be:
  1. Use "NORM" (LF) and "FLAT" (HF) settings. Never use the "DEEP" (LF) or the "VOCAL BOOST" (HF) settings.
  2. For gig volumes (95+ dB SPL), use EQ to cut the low and low-mid response by -3dB, from 700 Hz downward
  3. Check the polarity on the HF driver (tweeter) - there are reports of some K10s with phase reversed HF drivers

Of course, some players like the enhanced bass response. Chacun à son goût...

Yeah I played today and every preset sounds real muddy. Not to happy about that I tried adjusting some levels like you guys suggested but no luck.

The important thing to realize is that the big difference between K8, K10 and K12 is the spatial dispersion. IIRC the spatial dispersion for K8 is 135 degrees, K10 is 90 degrees and K12 75 degrees. This alters how you and others on stage will hear things. Do you want all of your bandmates to have your sound hitting them in the face (if you are using these as monitors) or only yourself?

I use a single K10, works perfectly.

Yeah I played today and every preset sounds real muddy. Not to happy about that I tried adjusting some levels like you guys suggested but no luck.

Cab block settings? I use low-cut at 100 and hi-cut at 7k.

Other than that, IR choice is really key. I use brighter tones so they cut through a mix live and also if I double track rhythm guitar parts, by panning hard L and R, there is a 'perceived' darkening of the tone.

Great guys I'll try that after work today! I think one of my problems is the speakers are 4 feet away from my face pointed at me because my studio is really small so maybe I'll move them away from me on the other side and then try those settings.

Cab block settings? I use low-cut at 100 and hi-cut at 7k.

This worked perfectly with my K10 just now along with the bass cut switch in the amp block. It really tamed my array of patches a lot. I do find the highs harsh but all you need to smooth it out are the tools the AX-8 gives. Note that I tweak this at gig volume. So many ways to get it done...!

Back
Top Bottom