Q5.03 Recto riff hugeness playthrough video! (OH 212 ORNG)

Hi jon

as usual, nice tone and great playing !
I would like to see the preset to understand how you tune these (amp, pedals, etc.).
possible to share ? thanks

Jon does excellent tutorials. I used his 8 string and bass tone tutorials with excellent results.

Another non djent style guitar tone tutorial would be awesome. I end up buying each cab pack used in the tutorials. :)

I also don't like using a drive block for rythme either. It seems to put a layer of fizz or something over it. The reason that I asked is because I haven't been able to get a decent tone out of this amp. Always sounds woofy even with the bass turned down. I have tried it with the bass turned down as well. Maybe I just have to tweak some more. I am going to play with the Mv and see what I can do. Thanks Jon!

Thanks so much for your comments guys!

Hi jon

as usual, nice tone and great playing !
I would like to see the preset to understand how you tune these (amp, pedals, etc.).
possible to share ? thanks

I really am doing nothing special with my tones.
My Axe FX does all the magic really.
The main rhythm preset settings are:

Input gate - Recto1 Red mdrn (drive at 7.24, bass at 2.01, mid at 6.20, treble at 6.06, presence at 6.20, master at 2.30) - Cab block with an OH ORNG 212 V30 IR (OH1 quickstart choice if I recall correctly) - Reverb block (Rec Studio C, quality high, time 1.00, mix 10%).

That's it!!
Like I said, using EMG's really helps with getting a similar tone.

Ok Jon,
At the risk of being a pain in the ass.
i decided I wanted to mess with the recto this morning and see what kind of tones I could dial in.
My question to you is in your cab block do you tend to dial in any hi and low cuts?
I am using a MES OH1 5 from the HH collection, and I am just curious. I left them flat because i felt like I was losing some gain dialing back the hi cut, and now I feel like It is far to fuzzy, Just can't seem to find a sweet spot where it's got bite, but no fuzz.

Thanks so much for your comments guys!

I really am doing nothing special with my tones.
My Axe FX does all the magic really.
The main rhythm preset settings are:

Input gate - Recto1 Red mdrn (drive at 7.24, bass at 2.01, mid at 6.20, treble at 6.06, presence at 6.20, master at 2.30) - Cab block with an OH ORNG 212 V30 IR (OH1 quickstart choice if I recall correctly) - Reverb block (Rec Studio C, quality high, time 1.00, mix 10%).

That's it!!
Like I said, using EMG's really helps with getting a similar tone.

Ok Jon,
At the risk of being a pain in the ass.
i decided I wanted to mess with the recto this morning and see what kind of tones I could dial in.
My question to you is in your cab block do you tend to dial in any hi and low cuts?
I am using a MES OH1 5 from the HH collection, and I am just curious. I left them flat because i felt like I was losing some gain dialing back the hi cut, and now I feel like It is far to fuzzy, Just can't seem to find a sweet spot where it's got bite, but no fuzz.

I do like to use the hi and lo cuts.
I tend to set low to about 80 but during the mixing process I often raise it higher if necessary.
I usually set the hi cut at around 11k, depends on the IR.
Be careful with your treble settings as well as your presence.
The IR's you use make all the difference though, so what IR's are you using?
Also note that the Rectos are just 'buzzy' amps by nature.
If you require a tighter crunch I would recommend a different amp.

Just can't seem to find a sweet spot where it's got bite, but no fuzz.
Gotta echo Jon.

The presence knob is a b*tch. Keep it lower than 9 o'clock. Treble should be around noon.

This amp has an unusual amount of fizz, so be careful with the highs. A Tube Screamer in front is a must for tightening it up (gain 0, volume and tone to taste). Also, don't turn the gain up on the amp any more than you need to. Keep these basic rules and it'll be a tight metal monster.

Gotta echo Jon.

The presence knob is a b*tch. Keep it lower than 9 o'clock. Treble should be around noon.

This amp has an unusual amount of fizz, so be careful with the highs. A Tube Screamer in front is a must for tightening it up (gain 0, volume and tone to taste). Also, don't turn the gain up on the amp any more than you need to. Keep these basic rules and it'll be a tight metal monster.

I personally prefer the Rectos with no drive block but that's just personal preference.
They sure can sound tighter with a tubescreamer!

I was trying to get where I wanted to go without using an OD in front. But I think I have come to realize, an OD up front is what my ears are wanting to hear. In the analog world I always ran an OD in front of my JCM, so I don't know why I would think in the digital world it would be any different. lol
Jon, your tone just sounded so good in your vid, but alas I can not seem to get the same vibe going on as you do. In the hands I guess...

I was trying to get where I wanted to go without using an OD in front. But I think I have come to realize, an OD up front is what my ears are wanting to hear. In the analog world I always ran an OD in front of my JCM, so I don't know why I would think in the digital world it would be any different. lol
Jon, your tone just sounded so good in your vid, but alas I can not seem to get the same vibe going on as you do. In the hands I guess...

You must do whatever works for you! :)

What kind of issues are you having?

I am honestly just not good at dialing tones on Fractal Products at all. Give me a regular amp and I'm golden. But I still am stupid with making quality tones on the AX8. Haha. Which drives me crazy cause I know the tone is in the damn box, as you proved!

I am honestly just not good at dialing tones on Fractal Products at all. Give me a regular amp and I'm golden. But I still am stupid with making quality tones on the AX8. Haha. Which drives me crazy cause I know the tone is in the damn box, as you proved!

If you keep things very simple, just basic amp controls and good IR's everything should be really easy.

Just wanted to drop a follow up note here as far as your comment about the EMG's really being key to the tone you got in the video.

I was getting very frustrated that I couldn't get the recto to sound anywhere near as driven and huge as you had it sounding in your vid when using my Les Paul loaded with Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. Then a few weeks later I ended up on a whim purchasing a Wasburn Solar 16etc that was loaded with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge, and I happened to bring up the Recto preset I had been working on, and BAM there it was!
While not exactly the same tone, I noticed a huge lift in the gain, and tightening of the bottom end.
So moral of the story? I guess you are right, the EMG's really are the secret. Not that Duncan Distortions are the same as your EMG's, but they have some of the same characteristics, being a ceramic magnet and higher output than my Doug Aldrich's with A5 magnets, and slightly lower output than the DD.
Just thought I would share the experience because it immediately made me recall your comment about the EMG's.

Just wanted to drop a follow up note here as far as your comment about the EMG's really being key to the tone you got in the video.

I was getting very frustrated that I couldn't get the recto to sound anywhere near as driven and huge as you had it sounding in your vid when using my Les Paul loaded with Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. Then a few weeks later I ended up on a whim purchasing a Wasburn Solar 16etc that was loaded with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge, and I happened to bring up the Recto preset I had been working on, and BAM there it was!
While not exactly the same tone, I noticed a huge lift in the gain, and tightening of the bottom end.
So moral of the story? I guess you are right, the EMG's really are the secret. Not that Duncan Distortions are the same as your EMG's, but they have some of the same characteristics, being a ceramic magnet and higher output than my Doug Aldrich's with A5 magnets, and slightly lower output than the DD.
Just thought I would share the experience because it immediately made me recall your comment about the EMG's.

Thanks for sharing that.
I agree, pickups can make a big difference!

Thanks for sharing that.
I agree, pickups can make a big difference!

I think even more so with the Fractal vs. an amp rig?

I wonder if it is the high-end analog input circuitry that preserves the guitar nuances more than a conventional amp input?

It's a good thing for me as each guitar and even pickup selection becomes a more noticeable flavor.

I find that good and interesting.

I think even more so with the Fractal vs. an amp rig?

I wonder if it is the high-end analog input circuitry that preserves the guitar nuances more than a conventional amp input?

It's a good thing for me as each guitar and even pickup selection becomes a more noticeable flavor.

I find that good and interesting.

Could very well be!
I haven't played through a tube amp since a decade.... lol

Could very well be!
I haven't played through a tube amp since a decade.... lol
Yes , its a fine time to be a modern guitar player (unless of course you are trying to make a living at it...:confused: but those days are behind me..)
Thanks for the turn on to the OH ORG 2x12 , it is not only great in the AX8 and XL+, but (and thanx go to @ownhammer Kevin for this) , its very nice to to have the option to use them with other modelers and DAWs easily, and as the competition starts to get their respective acts together (Helix in particular with the most impressive tonal Improvement in the most recent FW of this past week), this implementation becomes much more valuable....

Back
Top Bottom