Psionic Triad / Korg SDD-3000 Pre-Amp in the Axe FX

VegaBaby said:
Lyle Caldwell said:
Thanks guys.

But the Triad is designed to drive a tube preamp, not a digital converter, so those who have the "real" Triad and the Axe-FX have had some problems, as the hot output level of the Triad that sounds so great running into a tube amp isn't really suitable for the Axe-FX A/D converters.

So the Axe found a 'nemesis pedal' then afterall :lol: . So far it seemed that the Axe could handle pretty much any gain pedal pretty well, but I guess +50 is just too much for any digital stage no matter how well designed :lol: .

Thanks for the info !

Well, yeah, it's not a fault of the Axe-FX. When you hit an input tube stage with a signal that's 12dB louder, 18dB louder, 33dB louder, etc, you don't get a corresponding volume increase - the tube circuit compresses and then overdrives and then distorts in the ways we all love an amp to do. The Axe-FX input section tries to cleanly reproduce that volume increase, but it's just too much for an A/D converter to handle. Different technologies demand different approaches.

So let's put the Triad inside the Axe-FX so Cliff can do his magic, and I bet we'll all be happy. The virtural amp can react to the virtual boost of the virtual Triad, and the result should be very real tone.

Lyle Caldwell said:
So let's put the Triad inside the Axe-FX so Cliff can do his magic, and I bet we'll all be happy. The virtural amp can react to the virtual boost of the virtual Triad, and the result should be very real tone.
Yes LET'S!!!! I'm one of the cool guys... Anyway, just curious if we have ANY clue at all when this might happen? I'm dreaming of 5.24! ;-) Yeah I know DREAM ON!

Lyle Caldwell said:
I have no idea yet if I'm interested in this or not, but I want to thank you on this forum for working with Cliff to create a working solution. I hope your example will encourage collaborations with other product manufacturers in the future. Also, it's great that you're here helping and answering questions in the meantime! :)

Well, the way I see it, I make superb analog devices intended to work with other superb analog devices.

Cliff has a way with ones and zeroes, so let's let him make superb digital. I don't see any competition here - more of a mutual support thing. Some guys will never try a digital anything (or they last tried one in 1992), so I "got them". Some guys are taking the Axe-FX only plunge, and this is a way for me to "make" something for them.

And then there are a lot of guys who have the cool tube amps and the real pedals, and who also have the Axe-FX. Whether the systems are integrated, or whether they use amps when they can and the Axe-FX is their fly date rig, whatever, some guys will be turned on to the Triad from the Axe-FX model and will want one for their amp rig. And some guys will use the Triad and then get turned on to the Axe-FX. So we both win. Yay, us.

Lyle Caldwell said:
And then there are a lot of guys who have the cool tube amps and the real pedals, and who also have the Axe-FX. Whether the systems are integrated, or whether they use amps when they can and the Axe-FX is their fly date rig, whatever, some guys will be turned on to the Triad from the Axe-FX model and will want one for their amp rig. And some guys will use the Triad and then get turned on to the Axe-FX. So we both win. Yay, us.

You've got a very valid point there. Eventhough I've never used it much for boosting amps, we've got an SDD in the studio and simply for that reason I never looked if anything else could get that preamp tone. Now I actually just checked out your website, know that it exists and could/would recommend it to people whenever the topic would come up...

So it's just the first stage (preamp) of the Triad that's being modeled, right? In which case people will need to use the FX Loop and another boost block to get the full Triad effect, no?

VegaBaby said:
Lyle Caldwell said:

You've got a very valid point there. Eventhough I've never used it much for boosting amps, we've got an SDD in the studio and simply for that reason I never looked if anything else could get that preamp tone. Now I actually just checked out your website, know that it exists and could/would recommend it to people whenever the topic would come up...

Thanks. The Triad is derived from the Korg, and the core circuit is the same, though I made the Triad more versatile with a better input impedance and a much lower noise floor.

chase said:
So it's just the first stage (preamp) of the Triad that's being modeled, right? In which case people will need to use the FX Loop and another boost block to get the full Triad effect, no?

Honestly, we're not sure yet how best to implement it in the Axe-FX software. Cliff and I are discussing it, and I'm sure there will be a good solution that gives the correct sound without difficulty for the user. I don't think it will require the FX loop - it will all happen internally within the Axe-FX.

FractalAudio said:
Probably not. It appears Psionic Audio has gone out of business.

You mean his website being down?

He said this earlier this month:

ATT made a billing mistake and until I get that sorted out (yay for long hold times) my website is temporarily down, but will be back up soon.

Argh!!!! I hope this is not the case... Lyle please get in touch with Cliff! Even if this is true maybe he can at least let us keep the Triad alive in the Axe FX! :)

Back
Top Bottom