PRS Advice

Well, I have a couple of fifties Strats and Teles, a seventy year old Les Paul Goldtop and a bunch of other really nice vintage or highly customised (by Historic Makeovers in Florida, not the guy out the back of mom and pop's music emporium - or worse - me!) Gibsons, Rickenbackers, the odd nice Gretsch and so on - I also have a PRS DGT. The DGT is objectively a better guitar than any of the others, end of story. I also happen to really, really like it and despite what some melonheads say, it is dripping with that elusive mojo stuff.....

Or maybe that was the hamburger I dropped one night..... anyway, regardless, it is a truly superb guitar and probably would be the desert island one if I had to choose.

Kinda missed this thread (busy week), but that's cool that you got a DGT! I've got a couple of PRS and agree, they don't really do my Les Paul, but they're certainly on that level and, you're right, very enjoyable to play. Hope you enjoy yours!!

Hi

Help needed! I play typical middle age guy music - a mixture of blues, blues rock and 80s metal.

Guitars - I had a massive vintage guitar habit which I’ve now stepped away from so have:

Gibson Murphy Labs Les Paul
Gibson Memphis 335
Custom Shop Strat
Peavey Wolfgang Special
Couple of Teles

This weekend I’ve (for the first time!) played PRS -
I liked the DGT, didn’t like the Custom 24, liked the Custom 22, really liked the CE Semi Hollow, really really liked the Paul’s Guitar and kind of fell for the Studio.

Problem I’m having is I am kind of running out of usable space and of course funds.

Want to try the USA Silver Sky, but also keen to hear about anyone’s PRS journey and experience

Thanks
I think you're good with what you've got. I've owned over 120 guitars, and I've never even played a prs....

Kinda missed this thread (busy week), but that's cool that you got a DGT! I've got a couple of PRS and agree, they don't really do my Les Paul, but they're certainly on that level and, you're right, very enjoyable to play. Hope you enjoy yours!!
That’s spot on - playing it last night you go ‘oh this is kind of like a Les Paul’ and then you plug in the Les Paul……

That’s spot on - playing it last night you go ‘oh this is kind of like a Les Paul’ and then you plug in the Les Paul……
Yep, I love my Les Pauls because they are Les Pauls, warts and all. At the same time, I love my PRS, too. My CU24 is my fall-back guitar, the one I always pick up when I don't know exactly what I'll be playing. It's just too easy to play. I've got a couple of Hollowbodies, a couple of McCartys, a 594, and an ME4, all great in their own way. Always thought the DGT looked just about perfect, especially the control layout. Everything I need and nothing I don't, although... I've been eying 24-08s lately.

Just as an aside, I never did get along with the stock pickups in any of them, but that's just personal taste. The HFS that came in my CU24 wasn't bad and one of my McCartys came with SD P90s. I eventually changed all of them to various Bare Knuckles.

David Grissom... just a monster player, great tone! No wonder the DGT is so good. I got to meet him a few times and he seemed like a really nice guy, too.

PRS guitars make me think, "So, this is what a Gibson would be like if they tried a little harder to make a really great guitar for the price."

The best Gibson LP I ever played was an '08 or so or so Studio Faded Cherry that I got at the Tucson GC. Someone returned it! :eek: Second best was a Burny LP copy. Shoulda kept the Burny and gotten a back brace. :p

The $649 (or whatever it was) 245 SE buried them both. Light, plays extremely well, killer sound.

PRS guitars make me think, "So, this is what a Gibson would be like if they tried a little harder to make a really great guitar for the price."

The best Gibson LP I ever played was an '08 or so or so Studio Faded Cherry that I got at the Tucson GC. Someone returned it! :eek: Second best was a Burny LP copy. Shoulda kept the Burny and gotten a back brace. :p

The $649 (or whatever it was) 245 SE buried them both. Light, plays extremely well, killer sound.
Yep, pretty much my feelings completely!

Yep, I love my Les Pauls because they are Les Pauls, warts and all. At the same time, I love my PRS, too. My CU24 is my fall-back guitar, the one I always pick up when I don't know exactly what I'll be playing. It's just too easy to play. I've got a couple of Hollowbodies, a couple of McCartys, a 594, and an ME4, all great in their own way. Always thought the DGT looked just about perfect, especially the control layout. Everything I need and nothing I don't, although... I've been eying 24-08s lately.

Just as an aside, I never did get along with the stock pickups in any of them, but that's just personal taste. The HFS that came in my CU24 wasn't bad and one of my McCartys came with SD P90s. I eventually changed all of them to various Bare Knuckles.

David Grissom... just a monster player, great tone! No wonder the DGT is so good. I got to meet him a few times and he seemed like a really nice guy, too.
Yeah, Dave's a real Texan gentleman - we go to see him at The Saxon Pub every time we get to Austin - last time he said "hey, I remember you guys from this time last year!"

I just bought a DGT SE last week. Spent a couple of days tweaking to get it set up and the action down to shredable. So far I am liking it very much - I needed a guitar to back up my PRS 513 at gigs etc… I wanted something that would not require me to dial in different presets - in otherwords, I couldn’t afford a second 513, so I am trying the broadly “similar” DGT. The 513 is brighter, the DGT is punchier in low mid (which to me feels more amp in the room-ish). But otherwise they feel very much alike. Necks similar (slightly different scale length) and very responsive to adjustment. These guitars differ in retail price by well over $2k, but, I don’t think there is $2k of difference in playability or tone… YMMV. So I’m making a positive recommendation of the SE DGT. I don’t think anyone will be disappointed in this instrument. IMO, PRS continues to produce high quality for fair price.

And PS: I got interested in the DGT after seeing and hearing Grissom at the Saxon Pub last fall. Loved his tone, tried to reproduce it with the 513, came close but the DGT pickups are just different. Still both guitars sound great with my usual performance presets.

To revive my own thread, spent a fun day comparing the DGT to a Silver Sky to a Studio.

I’m super happy with the DGT, plays great and is amazingly versatile, the Silver Sky impressed me - it’s the CS Strat Fender should make

But I’ve realised I’m over Strats - I love the cliched front pickup sound, and the middle pickup was great too. But the bridge pickup always disappoints.

Studio is the perfect partner for the DGT I’ve got, the Studio neck is bigger, but the tones are very modern Super Strat and the DGT does more traditional sounds and a passable Tele.

Amazingly the Studio doesn’t do a bad SG impression btw!

Thanks the advice, now own a DGT and Studio and need to sell some Fender!

To revive my own thread, spent a fun day comparing the DGT to a Silver Sky to a Studio.

I’m super happy with the DGT, plays great and is amazingly versatile, the Silver Sky impressed me - it’s the CS Strat Fender should make

But I’ve realised I’m over Strats - I love the cliched front pickup sound, and the middle pickup was great too. But the bridge pickup always disappoints.

Studio is the perfect partner for the DGT I’ve got, the Studio neck is bigger, but the tones are very modern Super Strat and the DGT does more traditional sounds and a passable Tele.

After running a TSS set-up for a long time in the '00s, I really think Fender should have built the Strat with a Tele bridge pickup. It has the little bit of extra oomph that many Strat bridge pickups lack, and the slightly steeper angle gives the low strings a little more depth....

I think a fair number of the SSH folks would dig it if it was more commonly available. I had to get a pickguard with no bridge pickup and have it cut in by a local luthier, as it is not an option anywhere I have found. Had to modify the pickup rout a little to accommodate the pickup, also....

I had my 2013 Studio out last Wednesday for a spin, and it reminded me how great a guitar it is. It does a credible version of a Strat when rolled back, and fattens up nicely at full volume, and the balance with the bridge humbucker and the Narrowfields is just right.

Two of my Strats have Raw Vintage '59 pickups and the other has their '60 pickups with a PAF humbucker in the bridge. The single-coil bridge is pretty good sounding, and is essential when doing old blues where they were on position 2. The Studio does it well, but the single-coils nail it.

It's fun having the choices but I could be happy getting rid of the SSS Strats and keeping the SSH one with the Studio.

I had my 2013 Studio out last Wednesday for a spin, and it reminded me how great a guitar it is. It does a credible version of a Strat when rolled back, and fattens up nicely at full volume, and the balance with the bridge humbucker and the Narrowfields is just right.

Two of my Strats have Raw Vintage '59 pickups and the other has their '60 pickups with a PAF humbucker in the bridge. The single-coil bridge is pretty good sounding, and is essential when doing old blues where they were on position 2. The Studio does it well, but the single-coils nail it.

It's fun having the choices but I could be happy getting rid of the SSS Strats and keeping the SSH one with the Studio.
Completely agree.

Silver Skys are cheap used and maybe one day will get one. But HSS or TSS make much more sense

Never had any urge to play one or buy, but I play modern heavy rock and stumbled on a Dusty Waring PRS and thought it looked cool with the black hardware and sig Pup's so I bought it and Like many above me am very happy with it and just puts a smile on my face every single time I play it.

Never had any urge to play one or buy, but I play modern heavy rock and stumbled on a Dusty Waring PRS and thought it looked cool with the black hardware and sig Pup's so I bought it and Like many above me am very happy with it and just puts a smile on my face every single time I play it.
That’s how I feel about my Studio, whenever I pick it up - the neck!!! Makes me just shake my head

Back
Top Bottom