PRS Advice

peteri

Power User
Hi

Help needed! I play typical middle age guy music - a mixture of blues, blues rock and 80s metal.

Guitars - I had a massive vintage guitar habit which I’ve now stepped away from so have:

Gibson Murphy Labs Les Paul
Gibson Memphis 335
Custom Shop Strat
Peavey Wolfgang Special
Couple of Teles

This weekend I’ve (for the first time!) played PRS -
I liked the DGT, didn’t like the Custom 24, liked the Custom 22, really liked the CE Semi Hollow, really really liked the Paul’s Guitar and kind of fell for the Studio.

Problem I’m having is I am kind of running out of usable space and of course funds.

Want to try the USA Silver Sky, but also keen to hear about anyone’s PRS journey and experience

Thanks

I'm not quite sure what I can tell you. I own and play more PRS guitars than any other type of guitar. They speak to me. Work for me.

The Silver Sky is the most un-PRS of the bunch I own. But it's amazing. The Strat I've always dreamed of. If you own a Strat you already love, you might not find the Silver Sky brings anything to the table you don't already own. If you're a Mayer fan (I am), you'll find it's The Sound even if you can't cop his phrasing.

It all started with a used '95 Standard 24 I found propped up in the corner of a music store around 2002 or so. I picked it up on a whim and it just fit like a glove. I emptied my bank account to go home with it and never regretted that decision.

I'm not quite sure what I can tell you. I own and play more PRS guitars than any other type of guitar. They speak to me. Work for me.

The Silver Sky is the most un-PRS of the bunch I own. But it's amazing. The Strat I've always dreamed of. If you own a Strat you already love, you might not find the Silver Sky brings anything to the table you don't already own. If you're a Mayer fan (I am), you'll find it's The Sound even if you can't cop his phrasing.

It all started with a used '95 Standard 24 I found propped up in the corner of a music store around 2002 or so. I picked it up on a whim and it just fit like a glove. I emptied my bank account to go home with it and never regretted that decision.
Thanks that helps a lot.

I guess I’m at the same stage as you were in 2002! I’m kind of rethinking my life choices and budget!

Silver Sky - Mayer and SRV are the Strat tones I crave! Damn!

I started with SC250's (Single cut - LP Style), found a Paul Allendar model in a pawn shop and bought that cheap, and have since moved on to McCarty 594's. I have a Single Cut and a Double cut, love them both but the double cut is a bit lighter. Since I've always been a Les Paul guy the SC have always felt to me like the best les paul I've ever played, the McCarty made that even more a thing. Absolutely love those guitars, but never really have been a strat guy so a Silver Sky hasn't been on my list, the new Tele style guitar looks interesting, but I haven't played one yet.

I started playing guitar in the early 80s and didn’t discover PRS until about six or seven years ago, about the time John Mayer started working with Paul on amps and guitars. Since then, I’ve picked up a Zach Myers model, a USA Silver Sky, a DGT and a single cut McCarty 594. I love playing each of them and they all have a unique sonic fingerprint. The quality is exceptional and the playability is as good as any guitar I’ve ever owned or played. I could easily sell my fenders and gibsons (Strats & LPs) and not miss them a bit, which I will eventually do. I like the neck carves, the bright clean tone and of course they look stunning with the highly figured maple tops (except for the Silver Sky). I am definitely a PRS convert and advocate. However, if you like skinny necks with tiny frets, then PRS may not be your thing.

Hey man. I own three PRS guitars and they are fantastic instruments. A first year issue McCarty Hollowbody, Custom 24 special order, and a gold DGT. I owned a Silver Sky golden mesa, sold it, bought it back, sold it again, and regretted it :) Don't believe the bs out there about them having no soul - I have a beautiful custom shop 58 VOS Les Paul, and several other great guitars, but my PRS guitars are the best playing and sound wonderful, with plenty "soul". Get one .. you'll enjoy it for years!

Always buy mint used PRS there is a lot to choose from and it saves you a ton. Models up early 2000s go for a lot less and are great is you don't mind the very GLOSS finish.
PRS pickups from this time are not great though.
here is my Custom 22 with Throbak 101s in.
IMG_3008.jpeg
This one is a 2 top :tearsofjoy: BUT I like it.

Thank you all for the advice, definitely going to get the Studio I really liked - it's new but (I'm in the UK) £1300 off RRP in a sale, so comparable to used,

Been watching a lot of Youtube, definitely want to try the Silver Sky - and the 594 has got me interested! If they're that good, could come out with quite a profit from my Murphy!

Oh, and in other news - I demo'd using a Pink Taco combo.

First time in years not using Fractal - Fractal sounds way better!

Guitars - I had a massive vintage guitar habit which I’ve now stepped away from so have:

Gibson Murphy Labs Les Paul
Gibson Memphis 335
Custom Shop Strat
Peavey Wolfgang Special
Couple of Teles

Problem I’m having is I am kind of running out of usable space and of course funds.
No wonder you're running out of funds.

I concur. With the exception of my Silver Sky and my newer McCarty semi-hollow 594, all my other PRS guitars have aftermarket pickups in them now.
PRS pickups were not great until the 57/08s and other "number" pickups came out starting in 2008. The 57/08s and the 58/15 variants have been really well received, the 59/09s less so (though I liked 'em). The 85/15s don't seem to get as much love as the others.

For the OP, I'd have to say it'd be hard to go wrong with a Studio and one of the McCarty 594s. That'll cover a lot of territory really nicely.

PRS pickups were not great until the 57/08s and other "number" pickups came out starting in 2008. The 57/08s and the 58/15 variants have been really well received, the 59/09s less so (though I liked 'em). The 85/15s don't seem to get as much love as the others.

For the OP, I'd have to say it'd be hard to go wrong with a Studio and one of the McCarty 594s. That'll cover a lot of territory really nicely.
Thanks - amazing number of people are recommending the 594

Back
Top Bottom