Providence Chorus

Wildwind

Experienced
I just ran across a video showing this - Guthrie Govan, actually - and was blown away. I have mainly a hate/hate relationship with chorus pedals...but this one blew me away! That's a tone I'd love to have available for what I do (mostly clean stuff at the moment).

I'm really lousy at dialing these in and know little about the various models. Reading the awesome Wiki didn't get me there.

Is there a way to get this sound in the Axe?

Searching availeth me nothing...so any help is greatly appreciated!

Id try the 8 voice chorus and try more then 2 or 4 voices even 6 or 8.
If you try each one you can set the speed about the same you might hear it when you come across it.
also monitoring and then playing monitoring from you tube back n forth you get to dial it in on the fly.
when you get real close save as and then you might save in library as well naming it GG chorus or something
so you can dial that up with any amp you like looking in library in axe edit..

you might save 10 different chorus settings for different applications and naming them in library individually then
you can get back and find it quickly thats a nice handy feature.
I have good luck with 8 voice chorus and I used that to make my landau chorus so I bet that might get close for you.

You could suggest this as a wish pedal too !

Great ideas. I do think it would be a cool addition to the unit.

I played around with the various models tonight for about a half-hour. I had been using the Tri-Chorus - and actually re-learned why I chose that in the first place. It does sound excellent. I made further adjustments to get it closer to Providence territory in terms of the general vibe, though it's certainly not there.

I did play with the 8 voice a bit and liked it a lot, but I ran out of time. I do think it would be worth the time to get inside that.

Thanks for responding and for giving me some things to try.

Greg

in which case, you could do this with the pitch detune and tie an lfo to the detune param, i guess....?

I pretty much gave up on this, talked myself into thinking this would be better-suited to solo guitar or a band like Guthrie's (just one guitar, lots of room). Still, I do love that sound and might chase it again some day. Or pray that Cliff likes it too and models one...

it might not be exact, but try the analog mono chorus with depth at 100%, width at 100% and LFO type = sin

I'll try that Simeon. Thanks.

Tex Axe, not sure you are wrong. I just have no clue as to what I'm doing with chorus. So many types, etc. Plus, though I love my Axe dearly, sometimes it has WAY too many "knobs," you know?

I'll dig into this more. And I am using the 4-voice (not running stereo) and yesterday found a setting that sounded very nice today at "the gig" - church. Very hot band, top gear, etc. If it works there, it should work anywhere. It's not the Providence tone, but it's a very musical sounding chorus that did not mess with my bass tone (some chori seem to suck out the bass and make the high end weird - brittle or something).

some chorus types in the axe phase reverse one side, so if you're playing in mono (and sum L+R) or place the chorus before an amp or cab, then you will experience the "loss of bass" and "brittleness" you're talking about

Sorry for the quick hijack but can anyone help me setting up a delay effect (modulated delay) that Guthrie plays around the 1 min mark of the video.

just use one of the mods in the delay block. turn the rate to about 3hz and depth to about 25% (the depth will vary on the type of delay used, so set to taste). you can set the phase to 90deg if you want a bit of width

Back
Top Bottom