Project I am working on: Ave Maria w/ axe-fx acting as pizzicato strings

javajunkie

My wife has a friend who only has a couple of months to live. She really likes my wife's voice. Kathryn, my wife, used to sing opera when she was young. She has been out of it for a very long while, but decided she wanted to put together 3 Classical vocal style pieces for her friend. This is the first song we just completed.

My wife is singing, Todd Nelson (a friend of mine) is doing the strings, and I did the arpeggiated pizzicato section w/ the axe-fx and a guitar.

http://javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/ave_maria.mp3
ot just go to javajunkiemusic.com and Select the Ave Maria stream

That's lovely, Sean. Kathryn has a well-developed voice, and it's obvious that she's put in her time carrying solos. You've captured the vibe of pizzicato on bowed instruments. That's not easy with a guitar. Can you share some particulars of how you did it?

That's lovely, Sean. Kathryn has a well-developed voice, and it's obvious that she's put in her time carrying solos. You've captured the vibe of pizzicato on bowed instruments. That's not easy with a guitar. Can you share some particulars of how you did it?

I tried palm muting but that wasn't getting me where I wanted, so I started thinking a little outside box (or in side the box in this case). I tried pieces of plastic, then cardboard, I finally found what I wanted by threading some tissue paper through the bridge. I coupled that with an ac30 clean sim (highs cut a lot) and a good helping of pre-compression. I also record each line separately. That was just because my sight reading is so atrocious ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, Sean. If you get a chance, it would be great to see a photo of the tissue & bridge setup.

I don't think your tone would suffer if you put back just a hint of those highs. That would help bring out your attack, and I think that would complement the sweet legato of the strings and voice.

Back
Top Bottom