Problem with pitch block...

Fatjac

Inspired
Hi all,

I wonder is anyone can shed any light on this for me. I initially got my FX8 & set out to construct a preset for each and every song! I'm now trying to rationalise this & want to work with far fewer presets.

To this end I am trying to utilise a particular preset for 3 songs. I have a whammy in block 1 & I wish to use the Y setting of this pitch block as an Octave Divider with it set to an octave below. However whilst the whammy works exactly as required I cannot get the Oct Div to work properly. What I want to do is to just have it as a fixed octave below without any control from the expression pedal but I cannot get it to function this way. As I have pedal set to auto engage for the whammy it will only respond to the control from the pedal for the octave divider which I don't want. Is this because there is only the one pitch block or can it be done?

Thanks. I get that but does that mean that you cannot turn off the control from the modifer/ controller in the Y function?

Seems like there should be some sort of work around.

Hmmm.... I'll have a go at a few ideas and see if anything works.

Thanks for the replies...

It would seem a simple task on the face of it but, so far, it is not proving to be so...

Yeah. If you adding a pedal to Pitch in X, the pedal also controls Pitch in Y. I too forget this as I recently assigned a Scene Controller to Time in a Trem block, switched to Y and wondered why I'm an idiot haha

Option 1....Move the expression pedal far enough to 'Auto-engage' the block.
Option 2....Add a second 'Pitch' block.
Option 3....Separate presets for this case

Yeah. If you adding a pedal to Pitch in X, the pedal also controls Pitch in Y. I too forget this as I recently assigned a Scene Controller to Time in a Trem block, switched to Y and wondered why I'm an idiot haha
There is no 'pitch' parameter in the 'Octave Divider' type. the problem is in the use of 'auto-engage'.

Option 1....Move the expression pedal far enough to 'Auto-engage' the block.
Yes this works. I tried it but it is a sprung loaded expression pedal. Used deliberately so that the whammy returns to "normal" pitch when released so that the foot can instantly seek another scene change at that time. So I would have to hold the expression pedal in the down position throughout the use of the Oct Div effect.

Option 2....Add a second 'Pitch' block.
Is there one? I can only find one. Hence the requirement to seek a workaround. Genuine question.

Option 3....Separate presets for this case
Looks like the only answer. I just thought that I'd ask as I am trying to improve my knowledge of the FX8.

There is no 'pitch' parameter in the 'Octave Divider' type. the problem is in the use of 'auto-engage'.
Ok so is the answer to have the whammy switched on permanently (no auto engage) and just select Y when required for the Oct Div effect?

I shall try this tomorrow...late here now. Rehearsal tomorrow evening...

What exactly are you doing with the whammy? Lots of bending up an octave or dive bombs? Or what? There might be a different solution...

What exactly are you doing with the whammy? Lots of bending up an octave or dive bombs? Or what? There might be a different solution...
Actually I have reproduced the effect of the Helicopter that figures at the beginning of Cochise. It is coupled with a slap back delay & then tapping the muted strings whilst moving the whammy gives the effect.

Actually I have reproduced the effect of the Helicopter that figures at the beginning of Cochise. It is coupled with a slap back delay & then tapping the muted strings whilst moving the whammy gives the effect.

you might just need a pencil! ;)

Actually... for that effect you might be able to sweep the pitch of the multidelay itself... two birds... and use the pitch block after...

Yes this works. I tried it but it is a sprung loaded expression pedal. Used deliberately so that the whammy returns to "normal" pitch when released so that the foot can instantly seek another scene change at that time. So I would have to hold the expression pedal in the down position throughout the use of the Oct Div effect.

Is there one? I can only find one. Hence the requirement to seek a workaround. Genuine question.
I figured that you might have a spring loaded pedal............And no there is no 2nd pitch block, I was looking at the wrong effects list on the wiki.:confused: But you could mess around with the 'Ring Modulator'. I believe that it can be setup to do the octave-down thing?

From the Wiki........

Back
Top Bottom