Problem with AX8 to FOH

bloodninja

Inspired
My band does our own sound, and I'll admit that none of us know what we're doing. I was always fine running out 1 to an XLR input on our Air XR 18 and thought it sounded good enough. Then one day someone in law came to run sound for us and since then, I hate my sound. It seems like it's always clipping or on the verge of clipping, even though I can't seem to get loud enough. I don't think that guy really knew how our mixer works either. Is it possible he changed some setting that would cause this? Or is sending a line level signal to a mic input the problem? The problem is that I don't know what the settings were before this guy got ahold of the iPad. I never wanted to be a sound guy... Thanks.

1. Yes
2. Potentially

If you don't want to be the sound guy find someone skilled enough to do the job. It's important. Try a factory reset of the XR18.

I agree with ChristThePhone. The reset will at lease put things back the way they were. A sound guy is judged by 2 things. 1. How the band sounds with him or her running the board. 2. Refer to #1.

Our band just bought an XR18 and whilst I'd rather not be the sound guy either I'm trying to learn it as best I can, primarily so the band sounds the best it can be, but also on a more selfish level to make sure my sound is the best possible with the AX8.... only had one rehearsal with it so far but it sounded good. I used Moke's JCM800 preset... highly recommended!

Thanks for the mention Davus PG.....

My band uses an XR-18. I am away from it for about a week. I will try to remember to post some screenshots of some of our settings (PC editor).

Thanks everyone, I'll check the input gain when we practice. Mike if you could post screenshots that would be awesome, thanks man.

IMG_1755.JPG

Here's where you find input gain on the desktop app - it looks a bit different on an iPad.

Start by turning the "Analog Input" all the way down. Also on your channel, turn off everything under the COMP tab. He may have enabled brick wall limiting. The compressors in the AX8 sound significantly better than the XR18's anyway.

You might also consider resetting your channel's EQ, and use your AX8 Global EQ for any room/PA concerns (assuming you've already dialed in your presets at volume). Seems like you being in full control of your sound would work better for your situation.

There's a ton of stuff in the XR18 that a non-engineer can very easily bork. Crack open that manual!

Why not take it out of the engineer's hands entirely and go through a DI box instead? That's what I do and deliver mic level to FOH.

As I have the luxury of lots of inputs, what's the best way to run my AX8?

Until now I've just run a single XLR out of the Output 1 Left XLR.... should I now be running stereo into 2 channels on the XR18?

For our live band mix with another guitar, presumably I'm still best to go down the middle... would this mean I'd get the benefit of stereo effects or are they likely to get lost in the mix?

Trial and error I guess but as I'm away from my Ax8 and not playing for a few days I thought I'd ask here....

Apologies for the thread hijack....although I'd say it's good info for the OP too

View attachment 41395

Here's where you find input gain on the desktop app - it looks a bit different on an iPad.

Start by turning the "Analog Input" all the way down. Also on your channel, turn off everything under the COMP tab. He may have enabled brick wall limiting. The compressors in the AX8 sound significantly better than the XR18's anyway.

You might also consider resetting your channel's EQ, and use your AX8 Global EQ for any room/PA concerns (assuming you've already dialed in your presets at volume). Seems like you being in full control of your sound would work better for your situation.

There's a ton of stuff in the XR18 that a non-engineer can very easily bork. Crack open that manual!

Thanks!!

As promised earlier in this thread, here are some screenshots of my XR-18 settings.
My Axe-Fx Output 1 is always set at 50% (as shown in the horizontal VU meter page)

xr18 1.png

xr18 2.png

I am using the Compressor on my channels (as well as the 'Backing Track' channels) to drop the levels by about 3 dB when ever our lead vocalist is singing, via side-chaining the compressors to his channel (channel #1). This helps keep the guitar and tracks out of the way when lead vocals are going on, and brings them back out front during instrumental sections.

xr18 3.png

My band does our own sound, and I'll admit that none of us know what we're doing. I was always fine running out 1 to an XLR input on our Air XR 18 and thought it sounded good enough. Then one day someone in law came to run sound for us and since then, I hate my sound. It seems like it's always clipping or on the verge of clipping, even though I can't seem to get loud enough. I don't think that guy really knew how our mixer works either. Is it possible he changed some setting that would cause this? Or is sending a line level signal to a mic input the problem? The problem is that I don't know what the settings were before this guy got ahold of the iPad. I never wanted to be a sound guy... Thanks.

I would bring an ipad\Kindle fire\android tablet and tweak the settings at your next sound check. I suspect something is wrong with your input gain.

I am using the Compressor on my channels (as well as the 'Backing Track' channels) to drop the levels by about 3 dB when ever our lead vocalist is singing, via side-chaining the compressors to his channel (channel #1). This helps keep the guitar and tracks out of the way when lead vocals are going on, and brings them back out front during instrumental sections.

Moke, is the compressor side chaining\auto time feature available from the Android app? I have not seen that option available, and I have the XR16

Moke, is the compressor side chaining\auto time feature available from the Android app? I have not seen that option available, and I have the XR16
I don't see that option in the Android App. All though I'm not using 'Auto Time' anyway.

So I see that your Hold and Release on the Comp are a little long for a guitar. And your "sound guy" might have lowered the Threshold too much

As a little compressor 101 for everyone. When the Relese of a compressor is longer than then the Attack it will antenuate the output signal.

I would set my settings to
Threshold (Nominal at first then apply compression to suit your ear)
Attack 80-100 ms
Hold 0 ms
Release 80-100 ms

This will make the comp a little more snappy and not antenuate your output.

Back
Top Bottom