Problem after update to 1 (anyone know what could be causing this)

NewcastleBrown

Inspired
Hello all,

After update the MFC to 1, I now have a strange problem that seems to be caused use of my wah expression pedal plugged into xp2 on the MFC. It causes the edited light to come on on the axefx and alters the preset eg bypasses the amp and then puts he axefx into full bypass. This only happens any expression pedal plugged into xp2.

I then have to switch axefx off and back on again to sort the situation but even then find that settings have been altered and saved in the preset randomly this very strange and is starting to do my head in. As soon as I use the wah (xp2) it happens again but on a different preset.

I have been through all the settings but cannot figure this problem out.

Can any help

You will most likely need to post more details... what you are seeing is clear, but there's not enough in your post with which to begin debugging - unless someone has seen the exact results you have. So...
What operating mode on MFC?
Which Axe-FX model?

What are your XP2 settings.. or some of them.. from both SETUP and MIDI side.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this is extra/erroneous midi data being sent to the Axe, such as not using the correct CC# in the XP2 settings. Default for Wah1 is 96 (IIRC).

I have the MFC in standard 5 preset / 12 inst access mode
It is set to Ultra
MFC is set to - use port Midi
Xp1 settings are Xp1 #011 Ch01 begOFF
Xp2 settings are XP2 #016 Ch01 begOFF

The problem is only when i try to use Xp2 with a expression pedal which is my wah in several presets. It worked fine before the update to 1.

The thing i can't understand is that the movement of the expression pedal will for example will effbypass the amps cabs and sometimes a reverb and saves these changes and then the axefx will go into full bypass mode it is bizarre, which sometimes i can only sort by turning the axefx off and back on.

Is there something else i should check the operation of my volume pedal in Xp1 is fine, i have swapped leads and pedals but the problem is Xp2. Even if i go into the wah block and set the modifier source to none movement of the epression pedal still causes the problem.

Danny

Xp1 settings are Xp1 #011 Ch01 begOFF - that OUT1 Volume
Xp2 settings are XP2 #016 Ch01 begOFF - that's EXTERN1

Danny,
looks like WAH (and other stuff) is set up correctly, assuming EXTERN1 set as the modifier for the Wah block.

I'm guessing you have something somewhere re-assigned to a controller that is causing this behavior. I have not seen this before.
Did you do factory reset on MFC after upgrade ?
Have you tried a system reset on the Axe ? - this can be a PITA to redo, so suggest you make notes of your customizations if you try this. Doing a system dump is of no use as a restore will simply put it back where it was.

Hi Danny,

I have the same thing happening with me as well. The XP2 set for use as a WAH Pedal, and this has in no particular order, put my ULTRA into BYPASS, turns on the edit led, changes volume level out ( probably bypasing AMPs just like yours but I didn't get a chance to look at it ), and then the last time it did it just before the set, the ULTRA totally lost volume - turned it all off and on and now I have volume but no Volume pedal ( using XP1 for Volume )......

Now I have just got home and I need to check out why..... one thing I did check, as I quickly tried to re-calibrate my expression pedals, is that the calibration range was still correct,and that the pedals were working correctly through the range.

I have had an issue before the upgrade with the Tap-Tempo pulse coming through the whole system from the MFC, but never this. I am ordering a new 7pin Midi cable for this problem, and to power the MFC as well. I was wondering if I just have two poor quality Midi cables....

Mic

Mic,

This is the same problem.

I can,t see it being caused by the cables, it is only caused by the use of Xp2.

I have tried swapping pedals and there stereo cables etc, also tried another factory reset on my MFC, recalbrating the pedal and a system parameter reset on the axefx all with no joy.

Something must have gone a miss with the firmware update. I don,t know if I try to update the firmware again will this have any effect. The last thing I want to try is the factory reset on my ultra. The problem has been caused by the firmware update of my MFC so i,am thinking the problem is with the MFC and not the ultra.

Regards Danny

Crazy - had exactly the same thing happen to me tonight. Expression pedal in #2, used as wah, bypassed the amp block and volume pedal in my patch after switching on wah block and working expression pedal. Post update.

This must be a problem with update. I will try to run the update again later I don,t know if this will work or if the MFC will accept the update again I think it will.

Let you know later if it works.

Dan

Three is one co-incidence too many and I also agree that poor cables is a long shot ( I want/need a 7pin midi cable anyway).

I also tried switching cables and expression pedals to no avail.

I didn't get any errors when I performed the upgrade, so I think that this is pointing to an error in the firmware rather than user error, but we could be three dunces....

Mic

PS I should also add that I was only using one expression pedal before the update, and now I have decided to use two.

Have run the MFC update again, all goes well, factory restore etc reset setup to ultra etc etc.

But still same problem Xp2 causes bizarre editing of the presets and sound bypass of the axefx.

Tried using different midi cables no joy. I may need to forward this to Fractal support but am going away for a week in a few hours and might have to leave this frustrating problem behind until i get back.

Hopefully someone or Fractal will come up with a fix to this problem by time i get back.

Yours Frustrated Dan

which expression pedal are you guys using..???
I can try to test this out with my Ultra (tonight) if I get a chance... tho' I use 2 pedals, XP1 as volume and XP2 for Wah (switched) but I am not seeing this behavior on my Ultra.

I am using Mission Engineering SP1 pedals

>s0c9
>which expression pedal are you guys using..???
>I can try to test this out with my Ultra (tonight) if I get a chance... tho' I use 2 pedals, XP1 as >volume and XP2 for Wah (switched) but I am not seeing this behavior on my Ultra.

which expression pedal are you guys using..???
I can try to test this out with my Ultra (tonight) if I get a chance... tho' I use 2 pedals, XP1 as volume and XP2 for Wah (switched) but I am not seeing this behavior on my Ultra.
Not able to duplicate with the Ultra.. Using Mission SP1-R.

I tried to duplicate this afternoon - First off, I set the MFC to send no cc messages, other than the ones I had assigned. That didn't seem to stop the problem. Next, I went to the ultra and set the amp bypass and volume/pan to "none" on the MIDI menu. Those were the two blocks that were affected. I tried for about ten minutes, and no random bypass, switching wah in and out, and using expression pedal assigned to wah. It's like the MFC is sending some random cc messages out there - got a hard time believing that - got to be operator set-up error somehow, eh?

For me, this problem has not been something that happens continuously or every time you sweep the pedal - sometimes it happens after 30 minutes of use.

It will be fine - everything works correctly and then all of a sudden ..... fault occurs ......

The only consistent thing that I have found is that it always happens when sweeping the Foot Pedal connected to XP2 ( haven't tried 3 or 4, and I haven't had any issues with XP1 at all )

Mic

Do you have any other pedals or devices connected when this trouble occurs? If so, can you remove them and check again?

I only have two SP-1 pedals, one for Volume in XP1, and the other in XP2 ( which seems to be causing the problems ).

Chain is as follows: ULTRA - MFC-101, Pedals connected to MFC.

I will try again with just XP2 and see what it does - might be a couple of days though....

Back
Top Bottom