Problem after update to 1 (anyone know what could be causing this)

To the OP,
as I stated above... my SP1-R is working fine in XP2 - with new MFC firmware. There must be some errant setting in your config that is causing the anomalies.
I realize that this is a stretch, but its the only sure-fire way I know of to chase this down as it appears to be a [somewhat] isolated issue...

Do a system dump (to save custom settings), then do a factory reset. Do NOT restore your settings.
Try XP2 again and see if you can duplicate the problem.

If you can, that would indicate that the issue is [probably] not with the MFC - but [likely] related to some modifier/controller setting on your preset.
If not, then it would point to the problem being in your MFC customization/setup.

OK... another thought.!! Those who've reported this issue with XP2 are using Mission Pedals!
What type of cable are you using into XP2? TS or TRS ?
Let me know.. guess is they are TS.
I'm using TRS cable and do not have this issue.

TRS for me as well. Rehearsal tonight, so it will be in use for at least a couple of hours. No repeat yet, but only with very short-time use.

Worked fine for two plus hours. Only initial change I made was to change the affected items (volume and amp on/bypass) to "none" on the axe-fx. The problem seemed to be random cc messages from the MFC to the Axe - with it set to not take messages, it behaved. Plan to set those back to their default values on the Axe this weekend, to see if it goes "random" again.

Mike, where are the options you are talking about below

Worked fine for two plus hours. Only initial change I made was to change the affected items (volume and amp on/bypass) to "none" on the axe-fx.

So I can try this, I have been up and down the midi menu on my ultra but am confused.

I have a boss and a hex pedal with TRS cables it doesn't, matter which pedal I use in xp2 to cause the problem. I have also I think found a preset on my ultra which after ten minutes or so of playing doesn't seem to have the problem but as soon I switch back to other presets I have problem again. I cannot see any setting differences between them.

Cheers Danny

From memory - I/O>MIDI - one of the pages, you scroll down for each effect, and it's default cc number to control is given (like: Wahwah 1 bypass 97) - it's a list of all controllable items - you can choose any cc number, and before 1 (or after 128) is a choice for "none". As far as I understand, this sets that particular effect to receive no cc command to bypass it. That's really all I did - which indicates that the MFC sends what seems to be random cc commands. If that's right, update/fix needed! I must say, I occasionally get unexplained/unplanned/unwanted changes due to MIDI commands now and then....throughout different patches. I've really gotten some crazy stuff with the whammy/expression pedal use. No random program change - yet. Anyone else? I say this needs a fix, because I never had any issues like this with the "other" MIDI controller I used prior to the MFC.

Sorted it, well not sorted it but found a way round the problem.

In the MFC turned xp2 off turned xp3 on and assigned it to control function 16 as xp2 was set and all works fine.

I am convinced the problem is xp2 something has been screwed up in the update to 1 which has turned my xp2 into a bizarre random editing then mute / bypass pedal.

I,m just hopping this has sorted it and there won,t be any more surprises, I only need 2 expression pedals. Maybe this might be sorted in the next firmware update, I tried to update the firmware in the MFC another 2 times it seem to update ok and factory restored the MFC twice but it didn,t fix, I altered every setting in the ultra i could think of but with no joy, at least I have learnt a bit about midi settings and communication.

Hope this helps someone else out.

Regards Dan

Dan and Mike,

A couple of nights ago I tried playing with only XP2 connected, and with no volume pedal in XP1 and no other external control, I still had the Ultra go into Bypass, but only a couple of times over two hours give or take....I am also convinced that it XP2 related and plan to sit down this weekend and go through it more thoroughly. I have e-mailed support and they have been watching this also - it is funny that it is only a few of us.....

Mic

I have not applied the update yet. No gigs on the calendar, I can wait for you brave, generous souls to find the anomalies first. Thanks, and I'm following this pretty close too. If it comes down to plugging into xp3 instead of xp2, that's not so bad.

Wondering if anyone had these kinds of problems pre-update? I just got mine, had it a couple of days, and applied the update. Wondering if going back to the first version (if that's even possible) and waiting to see if the next version eliminates some of the little bits of random craziness. Ben - you're right, avoiding using xp2 input is not the worst fix, if that does it.

Hello all,

I contacted fractal support and asked them about this problem. They emailed me back with MFC 1.02 attached and asked me to try it to see if it fixed the problem. After an update to 1.02 and a restore my MFC is now fireing on all cylinders again xp2 works fine no random crazy editing or bypass.

Fractal support said that the new version MFC 1.02 will be available on the website soon (a few days) but I would imagine if you contact them as I did they would email it out anyone with this problem.

I would call this A1 support.

Thank you Fractal Support.

Cheers Dan

Are you shi**ing me? I guess that's pretty darn responsive! I'll just wait for the release. Glad you're cool, Dan. I will be soon.

There's no such thing as bug free, only undiscovered issues. :) The best we can hope for is that they will take the time to fix it, and will find it fast. Sounds like that's what happened. Awesome.

This certainly is great news - thanks Dan and Mike for chasing this up also, as this was a real pain in the butt. Looks like we have a good solution - I hope to try this new version soon as well to see if it has fixed it for me also.

Mic

Metalslab,

It looks like it is the same issue to me - you are using XP2 and it seems to be an issue where when you send lots of data, such as using the WAH or WHAMMY pedal continuously, it sends some spurious data in there somewhere which is giving the controller the wrong information.

Remember, this is just 1's and 0's in certain order to send commands - if some of them are sent incorrectly or received incorrectly anything can happen.

Mic

Back
Top Bottom