Preview of the MidyAX - A new tool to enhance the AXE-FX experience

PALYGAP

Experienced
The MidyAX is a new tool for the AXE-FX that makes it possible to use the BCR2000 unit to pilot the AXE-FX.

It gives easier access to all the parameters of the AXE-FX and allows to more easily adjust the sound of the AMPs and all the effects.

The MidyAX aims at allowing the AXE-FX users to more easily tap into the full potential of this incredible unit that the AXE-FX is.

BCR2000 : BCR2000.jpg The BCR2000 is a MIDI controller that provides 32 encoders knobs (similar to potentiometers) and several ON/OFF buttons

The MidyAX is a "MIDI bridge" that provides an intelligent interface between the BCR2000 and the AXE-FX. It is made so that It is possible to pilot each effect block that is inside the AXE-FX and set the value of the parameter of these effect blocks. The MidyAX can be seen as the missing link between the 2 units.

Here is te preview of the MidyAX by LeafONICs:
Part 1

Part 2

These video are only a preview of the product. I have made it that way because I would very much appreciate if you could give me feedbacks on the prototype of the MidyAX. My aim is to make the MidyAX as useful as possible to the AXE-FX users. And your help/ideas/criticisms will help in that process. I will try, as much as possible, to include your feedbacks in the V1 specifications of the tool.

My aim is to release the tool by end of June.

Hopefully you will like the tool. But if you don't, please let me know what you think is wrong or should be improved. I am open to criticisms and, in a way, that is what I am looking for. I am also open to positive feedbacks.

Cheers,
ERIC from LeafONICs

P.S. Many thanks to the forum members that have already provided me with feedbacks. It has been very helpful and has already made the MidyAx a more useful tool.

Last edited:
In my personal opinion this would make the Axe Fx experience even more interesting.
Wonderful work Eric,I truly hope that this product comes out as a companion for the Axe Fx II.

Best Wishes,
Aman.

Very interesting!
I think there would be a larger market for a 19" equivalent of the BCR2000.

Excellent effort PALYGAP!! I can appreciate the amount of work that has gone into the creation and programming of your MIDyAX. All the best with the production and sales... :)

In my personal opinion this would make the Axe Fx experience even more interesting.
Wonderful work Eric,I truly hope that this product comes out as a companion for the Axe Fx II.

Seconded! Brilliant work, Eric! As soon as the gear fund allows, I will be grabbing a BCR2000 just for this. I'm sure a lot of others will as well!

Thanks a lot guys for your support.

I initially set out on a personal project to build a big board with lots of knobs that would look like putting together the "front face" of a traditional amp and a pedalboard. The board would have add several blocks next to one another. One for the AMP with access to many dip parameters (I called them AMP's guts), one for the REVERD,DRIVE, ... Then I thought that this kind of tool would be useful to some AXE-FX users. But soon I had to face the fact that building such a custom board would be far too expensive (around 600 euros at least). So I went on to look for a MIDI controller that would have several encoders (potentiometers) and still be very affordable. The BCR2000 has both these qualities and is a very well designed MIDI gear. It is very flexible and has quite a following.

I am glad you like the idea of the MidyAX. I am still working on making it a better product.

Cheers
Eric

Personally, I have wanted a hardware controller like this for ages, so I think it is a great idea. However, there are a couple of complications. The first is that you would need to ensure that it allows for control of ALL parameters, which is probably likely to make it complicated to use. I quite liked the idea of the iPad app but it only offers limited control which I'd imagine will put a lot of potential buyers off.

The second complication is that Cliff is somewhat prone to keep on improving the Axe, so you'd really have to keep pace with him and I wouldn't have thought that would be easy! I imagine that you might get a fair degree of pressure when a big release like 6 comes out and folk absolutely have to upgrade - they won't like having to wait for you to catch up. You see signs of this exasperation expressd with FA's own Axe Edit sometimes.

If you can deal with this, I'd love one.

Most Axe users will want to be able to power it via the power conditioner in their rack so that should be a consiration. It should also be capable of being powered by USB. I'm liking the look of this device.

Yeah the BC-series stuff from Behringer is ridiculously powerful if you really want to get into it, but the device that Eric has been working on really does bridge a lot of the gap between 'just neat' and 'useful'. I spent A LOT of time messing with sysex and crap to try to get it all to work on my BCF2000 and I just ran into a lot of issues that made it really impractical and quite honestly impossible to get it right. I never thought of designing something that does what he came up with here. I also realized early on that the BCR2000 would be a much better device to try to pull this off.

When Eric PM'd me about some info on this I kind of fed him my sob story of failure and when he showed me the first demonstration I was immediately jealous because I saw that he was able to pull off what I couldn't do. Even then I thought that it was more of a gee-whiz type thing until I really watched the video all the way through. The idea of being able to either playback from a DAW for re-amping or even the looper and be able to use two hands to tweak values and having a display in front of you telling you what you've turned really is brilliant.

It doesn't do anything that can't be done already from the front panel of the AxeFXII, but I have a huge appreciation for things that are what we used to call 'force multipliers' in my old job. Stuff that gets more stuff done faster and easier is what it all amounts to. I think that this can be one of those types of things.

Personally, I have wanted a hardware controller like this for ages, so I think it is a great idea. However, there are a couple of complications. The first is that you would need to ensure that it allows for control of ALL parameters, which is probably likely to make it complicated to use. I quite liked the idea of the iPad app but it only offers limited control which I'd imagine will put a lot of potential buyers off.

The second complication is that Cliff is somewhat prone to keep on improving the Axe, so you'd really have to keep pace with him and I wouldn't have thought that would be easy! I imagine that you might get a fair degree of pressure when a big release like 6 comes out and folk absolutely have to upgrade - they won't like having to wait for you to catch up. You see signs of this exasperation expressd with FA's own Axe Edit sometimes.

If you can deal with this, I'd love one.

Thanks for the suport.

Yes It will allow to control all the parameters that are in the effects blocks. Although I am not sure if all parameters for an effect type (say AMP) will be mapped to an encoder of the corresponging page of controls of the MidyAX. There are currently 79 parameters in the AMP block (AXE 2) so I am thinking that the MidyAX should provide 2 pages (of 32 encoders) for the AMP block. The "mapping customization" can help for some effects that have more than 32 parameters. It allows to change the mapping of each of the 32 encoders. So if in the default mapping of the MidyAX one parameter is not accessible, the user can change that and remap the 32 encoders too the parameter he most uses.

Actually to answer your concern properly, maybe I should allow for a specific effect type to have access to several (at least 2 and 4 for MULTITAP DELAY). It not sure how to best do it. I will think about it.

Keeping up with the new releases will not be to difficult. Since all the parameter are described in the configuration XML files of AXE-EDIT. Mainly have to read them and produce an updated version of the MidyAX firmware. But in the end, it might unfortunately not be enough to shield me from user's exasperation. C'est la vie.

You are right with major updates there could be more issue in updating the software. I will check with FAS if I can have the information in advance like Beta testers do.

Most Axe users will want to be able to power it via the power conditioner in their rack so that should be a consiration. It should also be capable of being powered by USB. I'm liking the look of this device.

I am not familiar with power conditioners in racks but if they produce 9 volts DC it will be OK. Otherwise a converter from 110V/220V to 9V will be needed.

Yes USB powering will be standard. The USB port will be used to update the firmware.

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks. That's what I looking for to make the MidyAX as much useful and easy to use as possible.

This comes just months after selling off my virtually unused BCR2000... Darn!

Sorry about that. I should have moved quicker.:D

Digging in the forum, I realized that quite a few people have had the need for a tool like the MidyAX:
- http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other...ringer-b-control-bcr2000-midi-controller.html
- http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other-midi-controllers/24469-real-time-midi-control-amp-stomp-parameters.html
- http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other...w-users-3rd-party-midi-interface-enquiry.html

The first one goes back to early 2009. I am definitely late then.:?

Yeah the BC-series stuff from Behringer is ridiculously powerful if you really want to get into it, but the device that Eric has been working on really does bridge a lot of the gap between 'just neat' and 'useful'. I spent A LOT of time messing with sysex and crap to try to get it all to work on my BCF2000 and I just ran into a lot of issues that made it really impractical and quite honestly impossible to get it right. I never thought of designing something that does what he came up with here. I also realized early on that the BCR2000 would be a much better device to try to pull this off.

Thanks a lot for the wise feedbacks and the support that you have given me.

The BCR2000 is truly very well designed. I think it has been around for years. I found a review from 2005 (Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000). Looks like it came out in 2004 and it is still being actively sold.

Shasha remember this motto: I don't need to hope to try, nor to succeed to carry on (although that helps). I am sure you have the all intellectual potential to think about real cool stuffs for the AXE-FX ... and other applications as well. In fact, getting support from others really helps.

When Eric PM'd me about some info on this I kind of fed him my sob story of failure and when he showed me the first demonstration I was immediately jealous because I saw that he was able to pull off what I couldn't do. Even then I thought that it was more of a gee-whiz type thing until I really watched the video all the way through. The idea of being able to either playback from a DAW for re-amping or even the looper and be able to use two hands to tweak values and having a display in front of you telling you what you've turned really is brilliant.

I also though the whole idea was a bit gee-whiz ... initially.:lol

As far as I remember you gave me the idea for the LOOPER;) and it was a breakthrough for me. Actually I had "forgotten" about the LOOPER after I had tried it ages ago on my ULTRA and did not find it very easy to use (at the time). It actually made me realized that I had been too "stuck" or set in one direction (and also too involve with sorting out technical details) to be able to see the bigger picture. I am trying to do that now before I freeze the v1 specs and I am glad to receive the help from others in that process.

Thanks a lot for the "brilliant" part:D, I will try to live up to it. Actually quite a few of the MidyAX features did fall into place as I was going along. The BCR2000 being really flexible and full-featured did really help. The only thing it let me down on is that one can't connect an expression pedal to it only switches. The BCF2000 has that possibility.

It doesn't do anything that can't be done already from the front panel of the AxeFXII, but I have a huge appreciation for things that are what we used to call 'force multipliers' in my old job. Stuff that gets more stuff done faster and easier is what it all amounts to. I think that this can be one of those types of things.

Hope the MidyAX can be a "force multiplier" and makes it possible for more users to dig deeper into the incredibly rich features of the AXE-FX. That is my aim and I am still working at it.

Shasha you're a real cool dude. Lucky we have you in this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
tumblr_m3rz1xwdTe1qfssyl.jpg

But seriously, I love this. This is exactly what I have wanted in the Axe-Fx for ages and I feel that the four extra knobs on the Axe 2 don't do a good enough job.

The way I see it, if the unit runs out of controls and pages as Cliff adds more tweakable features, I'd probably just keep making sure that the more important ones are easily tweakable rather than cater for every esoteric setting.

I don't know if this is possible, but I think some sort of "front page" that would offer just the basic amp controls (drive, treble, mid, bass, presence, master, level) and the most common controls for a few common fx blocks like reverb, delay, overdrive pedal would be useful for live use. Basically you could easily do quick tweaks for your main fx settings and amp there, something that is difficult to do with the Axe at the moment.

Can this be used simultaneously with the FCB1010 board? I can use Axe-edit at the same time so if it can be put thru the FCB without problems then that's great.

Also the cheaper you can make it the better so I wouldn't spend too much time making it look good or have every connection in the world. USB for firmware updates, MIDI for sysex and power I guess?

Eric, this is a great idea ;) and I can see it morphing into other products very quickly. Personally I would love to see slightly smaller versions (less knobs) a single and two space Rack mount and a floor board with a way to label each of the knobs to the parameters they control, like what Liquid Foot has done with the 12+.

Great idea mate - and major kudos to you for having the nuts to go ahead and work on this. Will be watching with interest!

laxu you're quite a direct person. I appreciate that. I'll try to answer the questions.

But seriously, I love this. This is exactly what I have wanted in the Axe-Fx for ages and I feel that the four extra knobs on the Axe 2 don't do a good enough job.

The way I see it, if the unit runs out of controls and pages as Cliff adds more tweakable features, I'd probably just keep making sure that the more important ones are easily tweakable rather than cater for every esoteric setting.

Yes that is what I will do. The "customization" will also give the possibility to the MidyAX user to choose the parmeters that are mapped and how. Following MNG feedbacks, I am thinking that I should find an easy way to have several pages for each page for an effect type. Right now there is just one page of control (32 knobs) per effect type. I was thinking of making a selection. I have to think what is the best way to give access to all the parameters but still have the most important most easily accessible.

I don't know if this is possible, but I think some sort of "front page" that would offer just the basic amp controls (drive, treble, mid, bass, presence, master, level) and the most common controls for a few common fx blocks like reverb, delay, overdrive pedal would be useful for live use. Basically you could easily do quick tweaks for your main fx settings and amp there, something that is difficult to do with the Axe at the moment.

That one of the things I have planned to do. You're right it makes a lot of sense. If the MidyAX was to be used live that might be the only page of controls that one needs to access to adjust the live tone.

Can this be used simultaneously with the FCB1010 board? I can use Axe-edit at the same time so if it can be put thru the FCB without problems then that's great.

Also the cheaper you can make it the better so I wouldn't spend too much time making it look good or have every connection in the world. USB for firmware updates, MIDI for sysex and power I guess?

The MidyAX box will have 4 MIDI channels, one for a ground controller like the FCB1010, one for connection to PC/MAC with AXE-EDIT. I am not so advanced on this aspect of the box. But the MidyAX, at minimum, will pass on the MIDI commands to the AXE-FX. I will look into how to make that interfacing more intelligent.

The MidyAX box will also have a USB connector for firmware update and power. A 9V power input will also be there. I will detail all this in a few weeks in a mini WEB site detailing the v1 functionalities.

I will in the next weeks work on the making of the box. I'll try to reduce the cost has much as possible. The choice of the BCR2000 was motivated also by its low cost (not only).

Thanks a lot for the picture I had a good laugh, and thanks for the support and very interesting feedbacks.

Eric, this is a great idea ;) and I can see it morphing into other products very quickly. Personally I would love to see slightly smaller versions (less knobs) a single and two space Rack mount and a floor board with a way to label each of the knobs to the parameters they control, like what Liquid Foot has done with the 12+.

Thanks a bunch for the appreciation. :D Yes hopefully it will morph into other products. I initially thought of having a big huge board with as many encoders as possible but what you're thinking of is more realistic and useful. I see what I can do after I have finish the v1 of MidyAX, but I still have a lot of work to make a good and reliable product.

Having a little display under each control (encoder or knobs) is top. At one point I considered using the Mackies C4 (Mackie C4) but it is expensive and I think they have stop producing it. Maybe that will be the next step build something similar to the LF 12+ but with 12 encoders instead of buttons.

Great idea mate - and major kudos to you for having the nuts to go ahead and work on this. Will be watching with interest!

Thanks a lot for the support. That' cool.8)

I've got an "investment" in a 1U rack mount midi controller with just say 8-12 endless rotary knobs with very similar LED readout as the BCR. I see the 1U being a perfect live & this MidyAX being perfect for shaping at home.

I'm very interested in the progress of this for sure. Keep up the good work & I'll be keeping my eye out for a BCR! :)

Question: on the BCR, do only the top knobs show the full ring where the bottom 3 rows show just the current position?

Back
Top Bottom