Presets gone, gibberish displayed

tweedster

I have an Ax fx II, and been fractalized since 2008, when I got a standard. I've never had a problem like this before. I turned the axe-fx on and all I got was gibberish (nonsense characters for preset names) and the layouts were all messed up (missing blocks, disconnected blocks. etc.0

History:

Upgraded to 9.00beta through midisport 2x2, as well as MFC 2.13. No Axe Edit.

Gory Details:

At first (Sunday, Monday) the preset name would be borked on only one preset; going to another preset & returning to the original preset resulted in normal operation.

On Thursday, every preset was screwed up on axe-fx turn-on . Nonsense characters for names, layout entirely different from what was supposed to be in the preset, disconnected modules in the preset, etc. Turning the unit on while pressing recall didn't help. I tried it numerous times.

USB adapter mode is off.

Saturday night, I turn the unit on, everything is like Sunday and Monday; the first preset that comes on after booting up the axe fx is messed up, but going to another preset and returning to the original preset results in everything being ok. I was concerned that something might have originally gone wrong with the initial 9.0 firmware upgrade, so I reflashed the firmware to 9.00beta. Now I'm back to where I was on Friday - every preset is screwed up. The firmware seems ok. I cleared Bank B of Presets giving me blank presets for that bank. Reloading factory presets into Bank B gives me the screwed up presets (bad characters for names , messed up layouts, etc.) Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong? This is the first time since 2008 I've had any fractal gear get messed up.

Thanks.

Try rolling back to 8.x. IMO, if you're having problems, the first thing you should do is get any beta software out of the equation.

While you're at it, open an email dialogue with Fractal support.

Try rolling back to 8.x. IMO, if you're having problems, the first thing you should do is get any beta software out of the equation.

While you're at it, open an email dialogue with Fractal support.

Done and done. Doesn't help.

If I start with a fresh blank preset, and add one amp and one cab, the axe fx II sounds wonderful in all it's glory. Save the preset and try to recall it, I just get garbage. The firmware seems to be ok (whether FW 9 or FW 8), it's the presets that are messed up, and I'm not hooked up to the computer or MFC at all.)

Last edited:
Happened to me before and I freaked too. Just make a new workspace folder and point everything to that NEW folder! Sounds like your workspace folder got corrupt. Re-download which ever version you want then import into your axe fx II unit. I had those exact same funky characters
( ** ^# ;;**# -- looked kinda like that!)
instead of words too :) took about 5 minutes to fix.

Happened to me before and I freaked too. Just make a new workspace folder and point everything to that NEW folder! Sounds like your workspace folder got corrupt. Re-download which ever version you want then import into your axe fx II unit. I had those exact same funky characters
( ** ^# ;;**# -- looked kinda like that!)
instead of words too :) took about 5 minutes to fix.

There is no workspace folder, because I'm not hooked up to a computer at all - or am I missing something? I'm wotking strictly off the front panel until axe edit gets straightened out.

It sounds more like as suggested earlier an internal battery issue. They are round and silver in shape.

As you can build a preset with the unit on and it's gone when turning the unit off and on again suggests the battery.

Perhaps also contact support if you haven't done so already just in case.

Were you ever usb'd up to your computer? If so did you possibly transfer an Ultra IR/file?,(9kb) by accident. I had done that once 'cause someone uploaded and mixed some Ultra/Standard in with some Axe II IR's. I got the gibberish that you described. Transferred a correct IR file, gone.

That's great to hear! I have to return my MFC (works perfectly but the paint is coming off it, something that they had never seen). I'm hoping for a quick response too, as my MIDI Moose is a far cry from an MFC.

Back
Top Bottom