Preset charging creators

So you can't modify it and call it yours and resell it. That's why it's different.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not talking about reselling an IR, I'm saying the IR in itself is taking a piece of real gear and reselling it digitally. OwnHammer doesn't own Mesa, the just bought a cab and resold the sound of it. Isn't that worse than taking something and tweaking it?

Last edited:

That doesn't make sense. The IR is the copy, it is the resale. I'm not comparing reselling an IR to reselling a patch, I'm comparing selling an IR (a copy of a real piece of gear) to reselling a patch. IR's aren't even taking the cab and tweaking it, capturing it as accurately as possible is the goal. So you're selling a sound that isn't yours, without even tweaking it, so why is that not worse than actually CHANGING a sound before selling it?

Let's just assume you disagree there, I'll leave that point. Let me follow up then - why is it an issue for me to sell a patch of my own tone that I made from scratch? And why am I not allowed to download free presets if I do sell any of my own like you stated? It's not hypocrisy to download something that the creator has willingly made free. That's like saying if you've ever bought an album, you shouldn't be allowed to download an album that the artist is giving away for free, isn't it?

Last edited:
This is a community here, where we shared presets for free. Bad ones, excellent once.
If somenone impoved someone else's preset everybody was happy about it bc everybody benefited from it.

1 started selling presets. Another one followed. Anotherone is holding back and wants to charge.
Within a year we will have dozens of charging creators a later some who steal each others work and arguing.
That means this community is finished as it existed before.

The whole forum will be self promoter's heldesk.

This is a community here, where we shared presets for free. Bad ones, excellent once.
If somenone impoved someone else's preset everybody was happy about it bc everybody benefited from it.

1 started selling presets. Another one followed. Anotherone is holding back and wants to charge.
Within a year we will have dozens of charging creators a later some who steal each others work and arguing.

The whole forum will be self promoter's heldesk.

That's a pretty pessimistic view of people you've got there. Look at the POD Farm community, people were selling patches there for years and yet still had plenty of fantastic free stuff out there. That's just one example. It's been 10 years of AxeFX units already and I see no sign of the scenario you've described.

First of all: I think legally it will never uphold in court as there is no way that its 100% clear that some-one is reselling it or selling it as made from scratch. There is NO signature and its all just settings.

Second: there is a market (hey, im part of that market. I bought 3 packages). And thats OK. I have seen several shops already with axe fx presets popping up. and the also sell kemper stuff or line 6 stuff.

Third: today there is a social or unspoken rule already exsisting as many do not place presets based upon others work that is sold

BUT: in due time as more and more people are selling there will end up presets with similar settings or close. Then it will be very hard to say: thats mine and I own that idea. I think no-one really owns a block or a preset.

Example: I bought a preset and someone did a great job getting a sound. I then look into all preset settings how some-one got this preset working. Then with that knowledge I make my own preset from scratch with another amp and tweaking and it.

I make a video of this preset and how I made it and put my preset on the forum and in axe exchange with reference to either moke, fremen, danzi, preset a day, edo, yek, how-ever. At the end there seems to be similar settings then the one I never saw, did not buy, but looks close to one preset of a commercial pavkage and get accused i copy pasted his/her work. I really put time and effort into it. Its different, but i used the knowledge of all of the people above, manual, wiki and videos.

1. Would that be OK? (giving it away for free that is)
2. Could I sell this preset?
3. Do i give support only on Q3.3 or do people expect to have support till Q10
4. What is the rule on enough tweakes or time put into it to be sure that knowledge gained is ok to put it out there....

This is a community here...1 started selling presets. Another one followed. Anotherone is holding back and wants to charge.
I had exiled myself from this thread, but the outrageousness of the above statement drew me back in for a moment. I'm entertaining the thought that you might actually believe what you wrote above—though I can't avoid the nagging feeling that this is just bait.

If sharing presets is the only part of this community that you can see, then you have one eye closed, my brother.

If you think this community would be destroyed if the free presets vanished, then you have both eyes closed.

And if you really think that no one will ever share again, then you're ignoring the evidence of your own eyes.

Last edited:
I can see Levi's point on the modifying and repacking/relabeling then selling someone else's preset as your own.
that's just lame that people would actually do this, but unfortunately, not surprising.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not talking about reselling an IR, I'm saying the IR in itself is taking a piece of real gear and reselling it digitally. OwnHammer doesn't own Mesa, the just bought a cab and resold the sound of it. Isn't that worse than taking something and tweaking it?

What they are selling it's their creative way of making guitars sounds sound great out of it!

If you invest in top quality mics, preamps, studio sound treatment etc, why give them for free?

Back
Top Bottom