Preset builds/tips/tricks - youtube - Fractal FM3

Last edited:

4-5 core tones preset this week, really simple, the idea was to have a baseline/benchmark tones for some upcoming videos where i'll be showing various guitars i own, since it's NGD for me =) a lovely PRS S2 Singlecut Standard

4 amps:
-ODS 100 clean
-1959SLP
-5153 blue
-5153 red

super basic setup, (boost/overdrive) amp/cab/delay/reverb , and that's it

it'll help me have a better idea of the 'basic' tone coming out of the various guitars, and also have a baseline when maybe upgrading parts of some of the guitars (i plan to switch out the PRS pickups for some Suhr Doug Aldrich)

Paul, your videos have been so on the money in helping me "finalize" (do we ever really?! 🤣 ) my core presets. This newest video is fantastic! I dig the format, production and length of them. That new PRS is a beauty!

Paul, your videos have been so on the money in helping me "finalize" (do we ever really?! 🤣 ) my core presets. This newest video is fantastic! I dig the format, production and length of them. That new PRS is a beauty!
too kind, thanks a lot 🙏
i know the feeling 😄 you can spend hours just on getting the delay/wet level just right one day only to mess with it the following day

thanks for the feedback and support in any case much appreciated

Love that S2 😍
thanks Leon, it's really sick, super resonant and snappy sounding, plays like a dream too, will be trying some suhr doug alrich pickups in there soon for more bite and playing more john sykes stuff, has to be done

i swear your videos pushed my subconscious to GAS for a PRS 😄, killer guitars

Heehee Paul tone match this

🤞

Great job mate, went through all your clips in the morning!

@Michi

had a mess around, the real big thing is getting the cab right i think, he has a preference for G12h30 speakers, there aren't loads of those in the Fractal, found a few cabs with that, mixed a greenback style cab for that crunch

amp wise the 5153 blue works well it seems and otherwise modded marshall style amps can be cool, the Splawn in scene 2 had something cool to it
there's also some post production going on (scooping in the mids somewhere too, and some other stuff)

multi band comp + aggressive gating otherwise =)

Attachments

• pb - michi.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 9
@Michi

had a mess around, the real big thing is getting the cab right i think, he has a preference for G12h30 speakers, there aren't loads of those in the Fractal, found a few cabs with that, mixed a greenback style cab for that crunch

amp wise the 5153 blue works well it seems and otherwise modded marshall style amps can be cool, the Splawn in scene 2 had something cool to it
there's also some post production going on (scooping in the mids somewhere too, and some other stuff)

Shit that was quick Paul! Gonna have a go when I get home from work. Thx a ton!

@Michi

Quick test last night. Man! The QuickRod scene is EXACTLY what I was looking for after a few small tweaks to suit my guitar. Can't thank you enough Paul. Stellar job.

here's part 2 of exploring some creative boosting concepts for brutal hi-gain style tones (think END, Code Orange, Knocked Loose etc..)

in essence it's creative use of parallel chains before the amp to use different EQ/Drives etc.. to add a really unique character to these tones, best part is you can easily blend in these extra chains to further tweak the effect they're having on the amp while still having a strong 'dry' path to the amp

there's a small preset build part (in just about 10 minutes :D) to explain the concepts used, and then i go through a custom preset with all those things applied with some fun tricks thrown in

Amazing! How do you manage to add so many blocks without overloading the CPU :D
I think you have too much gain. Just my opinion.

Amazing! How do you manage to add so many blocks without overloading the CPU :D
I think you have too much gain. Just my opinion.
good question :D the custom preset has way too many shunts for sure, but i think Dyna-cabs help somewhat, and i'm not using too many CPU heavy blocks (e.g Reverb etc..) the Multi band compressor and pitch are some of the heavier CPU blocks, but it seems it copes ok, this is with a FM3 mk1 as well

there's definitely tons of gain :D , but it's with a certain style of music in mind and using creative ways of boosting amps, i think if you use some different amps/gain structures and pull back a bit on the levels you can get more 'manageable' levels of destruction :D

Hi Paul! thanks for your informative videos.. I have found a few of them pretty useful so far. One setting in particular that made it into my regular preset is the ringmod/laser setup for a unique transition into new phrases. If you come up with any other interesting "one off" effects like this I would be very into it. I know Simeon has an extensive glitch/glide library, but it's not for FM3.

Hi Paul! thanks for your informative videos.. I have found a few of them pretty useful so far. One setting in particular that made it into my regular preset is the ringmod/laser setup for a unique transition into new phrases. If you come up with any other interesting "one off" effects like this I would be very into it. I know Simeon has an extensive glitch/glide library, but it's not for FM3.
thanks 🙏those sorts of things are the things i miss the most when coming from a pedalboard/amp setup into the digital domain
there are some effects that are more unique and controllable to reproduce (such as the ringmod/lazer style thing) others with sample/loop/glitching seem a bit more out of reach

one of my all time favorite pedals is the DD-5 or DD-6 in hold mode for quick glitch stutter effects, which is all contained on one footswitch, combine that with a whammy style effect afterwards it's a lot of fun, but i haven't found a way of programming something like that so it's as intuitive and easy/quick (e.g the longer you hold down the pedal the longer the loop and vice versa)

i've got some space in front of the FM3 now as we're controlling all changes via laptop/midi , gives me some leeway for adding pedals, but for now i've just added a Digitech FreqOut (not for insta feedback but for long sustained chords part to add some doom and gloom ) and a Flashback 2 for an easy self oscillating delay that i can miss with the delay time per hand for some pitched craziness

there are a bunch of others as well, i'll need to investigate a bit further, the DD-5/6 hold mode is a big one for me

Back
Top Bottom