Preset builds/tips/tricks - youtube - Fractal FM3

Haven't watched the video yet.. being a newFm3 owner though, I like the idea!

I'm guessing you didn't do any IR auditioning in this video.. or you would have had to rename it 5 hour presets :D
😄 or even 5 days depending on testing procedures and then back to back a/b

thanks for the feedback 🙏

I've got the solution for you Paul... please rename these videos as tones in 300 seconds and you'll be good :D

But seriously keep doing what you're doing because it gives newer users some more ideas. I've not used those amp and cab combos but will try it now because it was a pretty good tone you got there.

I'm curious about the effects placement too. First time I've seen anyone put the amp and cab at the end. When you A/B the difference, what exactly is the difference, is it noticeable?

I've got the solution for you Paul... please rename these videos as tones in 300 seconds and you'll be good :D

But seriously keep doing what you're doing because it gives newer users some more ideas. I've not used those amp and cab combos but will try it now because it was a pretty good tone you got there.

I'm curious about the effects placement too. First time I've seen anyone put the amp and cab at the end. When you A/B the difference, what exactly is the difference, is it noticeable?
😄 that could be a plan with seconds
thanks for the feedback 🙏

by placing effects before the amp, the effects will get the character/saturation /eq of the amp as well, i like this on the pedalboard style setup as that is what you're usually doing before a clean amp

placing effects after the amp + cab means that they're not affected in the same way, they'll have their own EQ which you can tweak,it'll sound broader and feel a bit different too at least to me
there's stereo considerations here too

best example is a delay, on a preset try placing a digital mono delay
before the amp + cab
in between the amp + cab
and after the amp+cab

before the amp + in between the amp+cab will be similar in tone depending on how gainy the amp is, as the cab will be shaping the EQ of the tone

if you place a digital delay at the end of the chain it'll be delaying whatever is before it but with its own EQ, kinda like you've already recorded something and adding delay in post production

placing delay/reverb etc.. between the amp and cab would be simulating say the fx loopon an amp

It's amazing! Thanks for the M-Comp. I still don't understand how to set it up.
thanks

the m-comp is best placed just after the cab

it's like a post production trick, that many mixers/producers will use to control the boomy build up that you get while doing chugging riffs, it's something quite unique to the fractal

i guess the simple way to look at it here, it's as if you're focussing a compressor on just a certain frequency range, to control the boomy/bassy build up in the tone

depending on your guitar/amp /cab setup you might need more or less of that compression/control

checkout Leon's video on the subject if you want a more in depth look at the m-comp, it's an older video , the only thing to bear in mind is the frequency that you want to affect (for chugs i'd say between 100 - 300 or so

Last edited:
Hello,

not sure if this is the right place to post this, trying my hand at youtube again with a better setup finally =)

Using an FM3 mark1 , the idea being to make a preset under 5 minutes, it'll be a series of videos with quite a basic approach with quick results for certain tones or setups that i'm interested in

i might look at further tweaks/considerations at some point, there's so much to learn about this unit and maybe some people want to just start off easy

any comments/criticism welcome

thanks

Brilliant as they say in the UK. I subscribed. Great work

Having these types of videos from players with different styles of play is very helpful. I’d watch both.
thanks 🙏 as i said before, absolutely love what Leon is doing,the idea here is trying to build something from scratch in 5 or 10 minutes and my approach / playing will be different

appreciate the support in any case, thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom