Preset #75 latency??? WTf??

I just had a vision of FAS working with CERN...with all those capital letters, imagine the possibilities. I don't know what you'd get when you cross an Axe-Fx II with a Large Hadron Collider, but it has to be cool! Then again, I may just need a sandwich and a nap. Carry on.

is there any chance to see an improvement in the pitch shifting algorithm, so that we dont hear any latency. Or do you think you will need more processing power for that?

Sorry to have sounded rude or ungrateful. Sometimes someone sounds different through text than actual speech. It's okay I've figured it out. Messing around with the sag improves it alot. Love this unit. Best purchase I've made. No regrets. Thanks FAS ... Now wheres the keys to that delorean??? :p

is there any chance to see an improvement in the pitch shifting algorithm, so that we dont hear any latency. Or do you think you will need more processing power for that?

It's not a matter of power, it's a matter of physics.

But... If we could have a variable mix that drops to 0% only on the attack of a sound, the player could feel less latency. I have no idea about how to detect the attack of all the notes...

you need to think about what is actually happening when pitch shifting...
the very basics:
the played pitch has to be 'listened to' so that the note sounding can be determined
then the shifter has to throw some math and this note to figure out what it's pitch should be changed to with respect to your pitch settings
the pitch shifter then has to recreate the audio at the new pitch

all this takes time.. especially the "listen to and detect the pitch of the ingress audio" part

hex pup guitars with the VG-99 / GR-55 seem to do this stuff a little better because it's a slightly different technology
but the same fundamental processes apply... listen and determine the pitch... change it...
but even then there is still a lag.. just a very slightly smaller one..

when you use an octave divider, the same processes are at work...
but most often you'd use the octaver in conjunction with you unprocessed signal..
your unprocessed signal happens 'immediately' and the octaved signal will be a tiny bit late...
but you tend not to notice it so much because the delay is masked by the unprocessed dry signal

the only way to get very high quality pitch shifting is not to do it in real time
which is perfect in the studio when mending vocals and stuff.... but no good when you're stood up there in front of all them peoples...

seriously
if you really want perfect responce and tone... get more guitars and set them up and tune them differently..

I have a 7-string tuned concert
6-strings tuned concert, Eb standard, D standard and open G

not the answer you're after I know... but it's the only one that is 100% assured..

Hi fractal. I played and tried all factory presets since I got the axe fx ii . All well except for preset #75 "down tuned guitar" ? It has latency by about 0.8-1.0 ms !! Please fix this for the next update. Any word from fractal and cliff would be appreciated and if you are aware of this.. ? Really annoying! Thanks!!! :)

Its not a perfect feature just by design. Its way more than 1ms of latency on mine but Ive tweaked the pitch shifter down to no noticable latency. At one point I got this wierd flange/chorus noise from it but somehow tweaked it out. Doesnt work on all patches, only super high gaun ones and doesnt work for any chords, other than that it works great for riffing and soloing though :)

Im just saying, youcan do alot with the pitch block as a detuner but its not the perfect tool so there are flaws. Not by fractals design, but because of the physics behind it

Sound travels through air at the speed of 343 metres (1125 ft) per second.
This means that if you have a latency of 1 ms, the sound delay will be equilant to stepping back 0,34 m (1,1 ft) further away from the amp in a live situation or from your speakers at home.

If you play live and have your amp 5 meters (16 ft) from where you're standing (should be pretty normal) the latency will be approx 14 ms (without counting the latency of what you play travel thru your gear).

I know latency can be a pain if audible, so I thnk what you're hearing is much more than just 1 ms...

On a sidenote, I've heard people complain that they have 3-4 ms latency in their PC when recording to DAW, and try to find a solution for that "unacceptable" problem...:lol

Until I can use tachyon particles instead of electrons to represent signals, you will have to live with the latency on that preset.

Better not . We could hear our playing before we hit the strings!!!!!! ;-)
Maybe one day the AXE is equipped with the infinite improbability chip....

Back
Top Bottom