Presenting... The Axe-Fx III

OMG didn’t see that one coming!
My biggest question is if the effects section will also be improved in the Axe III? I read that the pitch detection was better and some changes to the delay are made. If the effects will be improved I want one. If the effects are more or less the same and only the storage and power is improved I think I will stay with my Axe II for now.

Also very curious if the MFC101 mk1 can still be used with the Axe III? Many here have asked but I haven’t seen an answer.

Also very curious if the MFC101 mk1 can still be used with the Axe III? Many here have asked but I haven’t seen an answer.
It’s been answered many times.

MFC-101 will connect via MIDI. FASLink is version 2 on the new gear, therefore not the same as the MFC-101 Mark III.

There is no better digital modeler on planet earth than the Axe III.

Even my massive, over-kill effects blocks presets I've put into the beta unit I have for testing haven't reached 80% yet. I put in the pedalboard rig from hell, and still had plenty of power left over. You could do gigs with ONE preset using the 8 scenes per preset (you can name them!), with multiple amps in a preset no problem.

You can get get FOUR amp channels in a single amp block. They switch gap-lessly. 2048 new factory cabs over the 189 we have now (plus we keep the old ones too as legacy ones), and you can mix up to four in a single cab block.

It's awesome, no better tool to sculpt tones!

Thanks Andrew, I saw that graph. Also the text that says "These processors are the most powerful DSPs available delivering over twice the performance of the DSPs used in our previous generation products."

I guess I was just wondering aloud if anyone had more background or specifics about these DSPs. I mean, if the Keystones are really that much more powerful, why was the Axe-FX using the TigerSHARCs?

Because the Axe-Fx I "standard" got designed with a TigerSHARC back in 2005/2006. And they continued using that platform for the Axe-Fx 2, when the new TI's DSPs were not even available then. They starting shipping circa 2013/2014.

The same way a Bugatti Veyron looks toyish...

Well it does to me.
I'm not talking about features, durability, power and quality related stuff but only about sheer look.

And to me the Axe Fx II looks more "serious and professional" than this new iteration of our beloved machine.

Cant' wait to see it in person though.

Looks awesome! Congrats FAS!

I was kind of hoping for 1U, not expecting a 3U monster beast. How deep is it, and how heavy??

I wonder how long til an updated floorboard unit based on this new DSP? I assume no more block compatibility with older units?

There is no better digital modeler on planet earth than the Axe III.

Even my massive, over-kill effects blocks presets I've put into the beta unit I have for testing haven't reached 80% yet. I put in the pedalboard rig from hell, and still had plenty of power left over. You could do gigs with ONE preset using the 8 scenes per preset (you can name them!), with multiple amps in a preset no problem.

You can get get FOUR amp channels in a single amp block. They switch gap-lessly. 2048 new factory cabs over the 189 we have now (plus we keep the old ones too as legacy ones), and you can mix up to four in a single cab block.

It's awesome, no better tool to sculpt tones!

Are there going to be @austinbuddy factory presets in the Axe-III? That would keep a lot of people very happy right out of the box.

THIS:

4-effect-types-table-364x1024.gif

I'm really bummed it won't be powered because I still love traditional guitar cabs... but the new functionality and footswitch are just too tempting.

Hats off to the Fractal team for still pushing new firmware for the Axe-FX II even though this bad boy was just around the corner. That's part of why I'm confident that the III will be a great unit on day one and years into the future. Cheers!

My biggest question is if the effects section will also be improved in the Axe III? I read that the pitch detection was better and some changes to the delay are made. If the effects will be improved I want one. If the effects are more or less the same and only the storage and power is improved I think I will stay with my Axe II for now.

It's a new hardware platform. Normally the way it works is the existing code for all effects is ported onto it as a starting point. The new, much more powerful platform means future development carries on and I would expect just about every effect will improve over time through updates, if not day one.

Back
Top Bottom