Prepare for your computer to slow down with your next OS update

Reading a bit about this more...sounds pretty nasty. Not only is performance affected, you might exploit the flaw to read protected kernel memory which could reveal sensitive information/passwords, etc.

I'm reading that this affects Intel processors going back at least 10 years o_O

I just got a new DAW machine. I'm just going to disconnect it from the interwebs. I don't want it to get updated for this fix. I've got enough other computers and devices to get online with.

Oh boy...the news keeps getting better.

There are exploits that can read any kernel memory from javascript in unpatched web browsers. Better not save any passwords until you're patched.

Apparently ARM chips are impacted too. So iOS and Android users get to participate in the fun too.

I just got a new DAW machine. I'm just going to disconnect it from the interwebs. I don't want it to get updated for this fix. I've got enough other computers and devices to get online with.
.....I am now staring at my brand new IMac Pro with apprehensive thoughts.

I tell you, once I dumped Intel for AMD, my computers lasted a whole lot longer. From an average of 3.5 years with Intel to 8 years with AMD.

If AMD is a little slower than a same spec Intel, I can't tell.

Not if it's Martha Stewart talking to her stock broker at a cocktail party!

If it's one of the one percenters, they get to do anything that they feel like doing to us.
On a declared sell-off like this you'll have a hard time proving he was dumping before bad news hit.

That's not always possible. Not all chips are socketed. I'd hazard a guess that the majority, in fact, are not socketed.

This. And it's not like everyone out there is up to the task of swapping a CPU either - with heat sinks, fans, and varying sockets out there, it's a nightmare.

This reads like an april fools:

"The fix is to separate the kernel's memory completely from user processes using what's called Kernel Page Table Isolation, or KPTI. At one point, Forcefully Unmap Complete Kernel With Interrupt Trampolines, aka FUCKWIT, was mulled by the Linux kernel team, giving you an idea of how annoying this has been for the developers."

Ehh.. the funny bit was edited out by the pc police.

Back
Top Bottom