Power conditioner question

webstersp

Inspired
I'm looking for a furman power conditioner for my AxeFx and rack gear.
Would like to know the advantage of the Furman Classic Series VS Furman Merit X series.
I guess he classic version offer better protection because they cost more.

But I'm alsow looking for noise filtering, any difference between the merit X noise filtration and the Classic Pl-Plus Lift noise filtration?

I'm looking for a furman power conditioner for my AxeFx and rack gear.
Would like to know the advantage of the Furman Classic Series VS Furman Merit X series.

But I'm also looking for noise filtering, any difference between the merit X noise filtration and the Classic Pl-Plus Lift noise filtration?

Gidday, I'm looking at getting a Furman power conditioner as well, but I need 240VAC.
I've been scanning the forum for other's comments and found one thread asking why the price difference between the cheap Merit series and the Classic series. One comment said the Merit series are basically glorified power strips in rack form and recommended going for a Classic series as a bare minimum. I'll probably go for the Classic series Furman PL-8 C E Power conditioner, but I'm interested to hear from anyone who uses one.
-- G.

But I'm alsow looking for noise filtering, any difference between the merit X noise filtration and the Classic Pl-Plus Lift noise filtration?
Interesting question. The manufacturer's published specs are carefully crafted to make direct comparison difficult (e.g., one lists energy dissipation, the other doesn't; one lists peak impulse current, the other lists maximum surge current; the noise attenuation specs can't be directly compared). When manufacturers do this, they're usually trying to obscure the differences between the units.

The only thing I can say with relative certainty is that the Classic series offers more bells and whistles (things like a BNC light connector, and LED lights instead of incandescents). Either one will probably provide competent protection

…But I'm alsow looking for noise filtering, any difference between the merit X noise filtration and the Classic Pl-Plus Lift noise filtration?
This all depends on the specific rack gear you are using. As far as the Axe itself, the AC goes into a switch mode power supply, so any noise the power conditioner filters out will be overwhelmed by the switching noise--which is filtered out within the power supply. All you need is surge and transient protection, which a decent power strip (e.g. an APC SurgeArrest) provides quite well for about $10, with a lifetime guarantee for connected equipment.

Of course Furman et al offer some advantages: they can be rack-mounted; for at least some models they do not require maintenance after a fault; and you can get some nice options like a voltage readout and lamps. Something you might also consider is power sequencing, so that by flipping one switch all of your rack equipment is powered up/down in the proper order. This is essential if you have a power amp in your rack, but even configurations without a power amp often need a specific power sequence.

Back
Top Bottom