Power amp vs Direct. what are you doing?

Hello,

First post

Are most people using their AXE-FX with a rack Amp and cabs or direct to a board. I'm sure there are a few who do both.

I'm on the list and have a Fryette 2/50/2 waiting. Right now I use a Mark V (real one):mrgreen into a VHT fat bottom or 2 bogner 1x12's

The AXE FX is a direct recording tool but it seems to be used by alot of people with rack amps live ? thank you

Prior to the AXE-II, I was running a GSP-1101 in 4cable with a Peavey JSX/120 head or '87 Marshall Silver Jubillee(using heads for tone,GSP for switching and effects)...then out to a 4X12 Jubillee cab.
I would also take the xlr outs, straight to board so our soundman..

Now that we went in-ear monitors,...all AXE FX to board baby!

While I have yet to gig with my Axe FX II I can say with certainty that it is equally at home on stage as well as in the studio. Lots of guys (and at least on female, that I know of) use them live and in the studio. I have have a pair of Atomics that will eventually be my monitors live. I plan to go direct to FOH. I see no reason to mic a cab that has Axe tones coming out of it.

There are also many players here who bypass poweramp and cab sims and use a real poweramp and guitar cab for on stage monitoring (and visual effect too, 4x12's just look totally badass on stage. But I sold mine)

In fact Cliff himself (the founder of FAS in case you didn't already know) doesn't use FRFR'S (Full Range Flat Response in case you didn't already know). I believe he uses a Carvin poweramp and some sort of 4x12 cab.

I peronally prefer the FRFR'S because they allow me (to get my $$$$.$$ worth) to use the awesome poweramp and cab sims. Not to mention I have a mixer in my rack that can accept a signal from the board and feed a full monitor mix through my Atomics. Something that cannot be done unless you go FRFR.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Reactions: jon
Prior to the AXE-II, I was running a GSP-1101 in 4cable with a Peavey JSX/120 head or '87 Marshall Silver Jubillee(using heads for tone,GSP for switching and effects)...then out to a 4X12 Jubillee cab.
I would also take the xlr outs, straight to board so our soundman..

Now that we went in-ear monitors,...all AXE FX to board baby!

I just have to say... I love your forum name!!!

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

For recording I have to use the poweramp. More precisely my VHT 2/50/2 with a 57'. Impulses DO NOT cut it - need some speaker movement going on.

I run my Ultra into an ART SLA2 and then out to 2 carvin 412's in stereo. Amp sim are on and cab sims are off.

Gigged about 25 times with the AxeII and love running it mixed-output 1 direct to FOH and output 2 into the Atomic 50/50 into a cab. Most times sound guys mic cab and mix it with direct signal for more options. I do this when recording too for more options.
I've also been experimenting with a FR monitor onstage with the cab. Trying to ease my way into the FrFR world...

Depends on the venue. If its a place that requires me to mic up, then the Axe goes direct to the board, and I monitor via a FRFR monitor. If the venue doesnt require me to mic - but rather is small enough to only use the PA for vocals (around 70% of the time actually - larger venues in the UK are not that common), I find I get better results from an amp/cab. Thats probably down to my bands PA isnt the best (its adequate for our use) - but also the audience in such places are used to real amp tones as well - so we all hear what were used to.

I do however use the amp sims in the AXE still (not the cabs though) - thats with my current matrix and the VHT 2:50:2 I used for over a year as well.

I always have a direct feed to FoH. Eliminates all problems.

Sometimes I don't even walk with my own monitors - if the venue is small, or it's just a couple songs (eg guest performance ) I actually just go direct, and I might just ask the FoH guy to feed me some of the signal thru the monitors, but they don't like to do that. I also use active monitors for larger venues or when playing long sets.

IMHO it depends on what the amplification is used for.

If I was using a PA all the time, incl rehearsals, I'd be satisfied with FR monitoring.

But my band plays small bars too where my rig has to fill the room. After using a lot of different FR monitors I now use an Atomic stereo 50/2 plus EVM-loaded cabs. And that setup delivers more punch and impact. It's a 'feel' thing as much as 'tone'.

I always have a direct feed to FoH. Eliminates all problems.

Sometimes I don't even walk with my own monitors - if the venue is small, or it's just a couple songs (eg guest performance ) I actually just go direct, and I might just ask the FoH guy to feed me some of the signal thru the monitors, but they don't like to do that. I also use active monitors for larger venues or when playing long sets.

Pretty much exactly the same for me. Direct has solved all the usual problems I've had with a real amp.

When it comes to house monitors, sound guys here do allow electric guitar in the mix, but it never sounds good because they are EQ'd for vocals. No bass, lots of mids, sharp top end. I always bring my own speaker whether it's a small acoustic amp or my usual pair of k10s. Everyone always comments on how good my guitar sounds, especially compared to a boss or line6 or whatever plugged in direct, using house monitors.

The axe has cut down the amount of gear I need to bring to get the sound I want, but I'm definitely not too lazy to bring the right stuff too. So many people here just plug guitar directly in to the PA, maybe a pedal or two. Have you heard a Boss DS-1 direct to a PA? Bleck!!!!

IMHO it depends on what the amplification is used for.

If I was using a PA all the time, incl rehearsals, I'd be satisfied with FR monitoring.

But my band plays small bars too where my rig has to fill the room. After using a lot of different FR monitors I now use an Atomic stereo 50/2 plus EVM-loaded cabs. And that setup delivers more punch and impact. It's a 'feel' thing as much as 'tone'.

Hi Yek, are you using that set-up with Cab Sims on or off....????

Hi Yek, are you using that set-up with Cab Sims on or off....????

Some guys use EVMs with cab sims (Smilefan), some without.
Took me some time to decide. At low volumes f.e. my EVMs sound better with cab sims (the cabs are tuned for FR output).

I use them without cab sims now. Because:
- I prefer the tone this way at gig volume level
- simplicity (no messing with IRs)
- consistency. Maintaining the same cab adds to having a consistent tone.

I only do recording. I use a 3 watt Lexicon sig 284 tube power amp to either a Mesa 2x12 or VHT 4x12 dual mic'd or a Randall Rt2/50 to one of those cabs. I don't claim to be able to isolate exactly what the difference is between a real cab and an impulse, but to my humble ears, I believe I can still hear a slightly bigger/more "real" sound to the tracks.
My signal chain for recording guitars is pretty good so there is definitely some mojo happenin' outside of the Axefx. I still think that using real mics sounds slightly better than impulses EVEN through the same recording chain.
My chain is 2 mics to Chandler TG2-Distressors-Anamod ATS-1-Avid 8x8-PT.

If I were playing live again, I wouldn't hesitate to just go direct to PA at gigs as long as the floor monitor sounded decent. It can be uninspiring to play a gig when what you're hearing is less than you're used to. Nothing wrong with direct imo for live. Way less hassle involved with set up and especially tear down at 2am.

We are always mic'd up so direct to FOH in stereo is the only way to go for me. We all use Aviom's and in ear monitors so monitoring my rig (and the rest of the band) is a snap. In fact, we have no amps on stage - guitar, bass and keys go direct. I just dial in my Aviom and retreat to my own private Idaho.

I suppose if I wasn't mic'd, I'd probably take the QSC K12 route to fill the room.

Back
Top Bottom