Potential buyer...questions...

Hello everyone, I joined here about 6 or 7 months ago when I was hot on getting the Axe Fx...then my friend and dad (I'm 15) talked me out of it-they said it was fake and I wouldn't like it in the long term. But I need something that is reliable, consistent, and versatile...and the Axe Fx seems like the perfect solution. I play at lots of different places-so I need managable stage volumes.

My ideal setup would be:

Guitar--Tuner--Volume pedal--Wah--Axe Fx(with GCP controller)--Some type of powered cab

then run the Axe direct to the PA...

Now for the questions:

1.) What is a good powered speaker to get?...I don't want to spend a ton of cash, but I don't want crappy speakers either.

2.) How would I run the Axe Fx with the GCP? Can I have 4 presets + the other IA switches to turn things on and off? If I did this, could I make different banks on the GCP...say...for different songs, I would have the same IA switches, but different presets?

3.) How would I do a global tap tempo on the Axe, tap tempo is a must...I play a lot of worship so I use specifically timed delays.

Thanks in advance, I know you guys are very helpful!

then my friend and dad (I'm 15) talked me out of it-they said it was fake and I wouldn't like it in the long term

first of all they are wrong IMO. the axe does not sound fake even the factory presets are pretty good.

Guitar--Tuner--Volume pedal--Wah--Axe Fx(with GCP controller)--Some type of powered cab

the wah in the axe is really good. ditch your wah and get 2 good expression pedals. 1 for wah and other stuff and 1 for volume. i use the volume block inside the axe controlled by an expression pedal so i can assign a boost after the amp block to add any volume lost by the volume block being turned down in front of the amp. in other words i can clean up my dirty tone without loosing volume.

What is a good powered speaker to get?.

i use 2 rcf art310a and they sound great for a reasonable cost. are there better speakers out there.......you bet but the rcf at 450 bucks was all i could afford after dumping 2000 bucks on an ultra and sound really good.

How would I run the Axe Fx with the GCP? Can I have 4 presets + the other IA switches to turn things on and off? If I did this, could I make different banks on the GCP...say...for different songs, I would have the same IA switches, but different presets?

that is exactly how i use the gcp

How would I do a global tap tempo on the Axe, tap tempo is a must...I play a lot of worship so I use specifically timed delays.

i just set up and ia on the gcp for tap tempo and it works great.

finally read this thread. read it all to see how stoked i was after getting the axe
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/32803-how-should-i-power-my-new-axe-ultra-home-use.html

this will detail my struggle to figure out if i wanted to sell all my beloved gear to get an axe. i did second guess it several times and in the end sold it all and bought an ultra. i have never been happier with any of my rigs that i have owned. including many nice tube amps and analog pedal boards. the axe rocks them all hands down. and now i dont have to carry around a 64 lbs pedal board(no exaggeration i weighed it just before selling everything). check out the pics of my old rig it was really sweet.

Last edited:
Hey lespaul3013,

I'm primarily a contemporary P&W guy, and I've had my Axe-FX for just over 2 years now. I love it. It does everything I need it to do. And I would never consider selling it and going back to a traditional amp+cab+mic setup. The delays and effects are as good as advertised, and the amp and cab sims are amazing. It's not plug-and-play for most people, but that has never bothered me. I would much rather spend the time to get things EXACTLY the way I want them to rather than be stuck with something that's not quite what I want right from the start.

Here's something to think about with regards to a monitor. Most churches I have played at have decent to very good monitoring systems in place. As such, you might want to bring a smaller monitor to augment what they already have available. What I usually do is setup my monitor (QSC HPR122i) on one side of me and the house monitor on the other side. The house monitor has the full band mix and my QSC has just me in it. If I want a little more of me then I lean in to the QSC. If I want more of the mix then I lean into the house monitor. Obviously, the QSC is overkill for my purposes most of the time (131 db peak at 1m) but I will never find myself without enough power...

You might want to give the Verve 8ma a look. Other guys on this (and other) forums like it for P&W purposes.

Hope this helps!

and you have 2 grand to drop on an Ultra... I was lucky to buy a pack of strings at 15... :lol

I was hesitant to buy the Ultra at first, but now that I have it... I wish I had done it earlier. Absolutely the best tone you will ever get out of a MBB (Magic Black Box)... period. I have owned a few.

Had a JCM 800 for years, with Scott Petersons patch dont need a half stack, and then got a load of other amps, efects, toys in the MBB also...

Don't dream it... DO IT! :D

first of all they are wrong IMO. the axe does not sound fake even the factory presets are pretty good.

the wah in the axe is really good. ditch your wah and get 2 good expression pedals. 1 for wah and other stuff and 1 for volume. i use the volume block inside the axe controlled by an expression pedal so i can assign a boost after the amp block to add any volume lost by the volume block being turned down in front of the amp. in other words i can clean up my dirty tone without loosing volume.

i use 2 rcf art310a and they sound great for a reasonable cost. are there better speakers out there.......you bet but the rcf at 450 bucks was all i could afford after dumping 2000 bucks on an ultra and sound really good.

that is exactly how i use the gcp

i just set up and ia on the gcp for tap tempo and it works great.

finally read this thread. read it all to see how stoked i was after getting the axe
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/32803-how-should-i-power-my-new-axe-ultra-home-use.html

this will detail my struggle to figure out if i wanted to sell all my beloved gear to get an axe. i did second guess it several times and in the end sold it all and bought an ultra. i have never been happier with any of my rigs that i have owned. including many nice tube amps and analog pedal boards. the axe rocks them all hands down. and now i dont have to carry around a 64 lbs pedal board(no exaggeration i weighed it just before selling everything). check out the pics of my old rig it was really sweet.

Awesome! Thanks a lot, this was very helpful!

Hey lespaul3013,

I'm primarily a contemporary P&W guy, and I've had my Axe-FX for just over 2 years now. I love it. It does everything I need it to do. And I would never consider selling it and going back to a traditional amp+cab+mic setup. The delays and effects are as good as advertised, and the amp and cab sims are amazing. It's not plug-and-play for most people, but that has never bothered me. I would much rather spend the time to get things EXACTLY the way I want them to rather than be stuck with something that's not quite what I want right from the start.

Here's something to think about with regards to a monitor. Most churches I have played at have decent to very good monitoring systems in place. As such, you might want to bring a smaller monitor to augment what they already have available. What I usually do is setup my monitor (QSC HPR122i) on one side of me and the house monitor on the other side. The house monitor has the full band mix and my QSC has just me in it. If I want a little more of me then I lean in to the QSC. If I want more of the mix then I lean into the house monitor. Obviously, the QSC is overkill for my purposes most of the time (131 db peak at 1m) but I will never find myself without enough power...

You might want to give the Verve 8ma a look. Other guys on this (and other) forums like it for P&W purposes.

Hope this helps!

Thanks man, I'll check those speakers out

PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON.

Welcome. But dude, these questions are ALL over the place here.

No doubt, but I figured I might as well have all of MY questions in one place where I can easily go back and look at them for reference. Plus I'm not used to this forum yet, its got a neat layout though. I'll use the search next time though man!

and you have 2 grand to drop on an Ultra... I was lucky to buy a pack of strings at 15... :lol

I was hesitant to buy the Ultra at first, but now that I have it... I wish I had done it earlier. Absolutely the best tone you will ever get out of a MBB (Magic Black Box)... period. I have owned a few.

Had a JCM 800 for years, with Scott Petersons patch dont need a half stack, and then got a load of other amps, efects, toys in the MBB also...

Don't dream it... DO IT! :D

Well I was saving for a Mesa Mark V, but now I have GAS for the Axe Fx!

I had the Mark V and sold it for the Axe. Have never looked back. I can get the best Mark V sound at low volumes with the Axe. I could never do that with the real thing and still keep the cops from showing up at my door!

I had the Mark V and sold it for the Axe. Have never looked back. I can get the best Mark V sound at low volumes with the Axe. I could never do that with the real thing and still keep the cops from showing up at my door!

Have you created any presets to match the tones from the Mark V? If so, would you mind sharing?

Well I was saving for a Mesa Mark V, but now I have GAS for the Axe Fx!

I also was considering getting a Mesa Mark V but went with the Axe-FX instead. I was looking to add some modern metal tone (ala Mesa Boogie) to my arsenal but then realized that I would be getting so much more value and versatility for my $2k by getting an Axe-FX Ultra than any big tube amp half-stack rig out there.

Quite frankly, I don't understand why anyone would willingly shell out $2000-3000 for a new tube amp rig when they could get an Axe-FX instead. Unless they can't handle advanced technology, maybe. I'm sure there are guitarists out there who don't use computers, don't shop online, don't have smartphones, and think all audio technology newer than a vintage Plexi sounds lifeless and cold. The Axe-FX would be utterly the wrong device for them I suppose. :D

I also was considering getting a Mesa Mark V but went with the Axe-FX instead. I was looking to add some modern metal tone (ala Mesa Boogie) to my arsenal but then realized that I would be getting so much more value and versatility for my $2k by getting an Axe-FX Ultra than any big tube amp half-stack rig out there.

Quite frankly, I don't understand why anyone would willingly shell out $2000-3000 for a new tube amp rig when they could get an Axe-FX instead. Unless they can't handle advanced technology, maybe. I'm sure there are guitarists out there who don't use computers, don't shop online, don't have smartphones, and think all audio technology newer than a vintage Plexi sounds lifeless and cold. The Axe-FX would be utterly the wrong device for them I suppose. :D

Yea, my "tube amp snob" friend is already hating on me even thinking about the Axe. He says the value will go down, and its fake!

Now the question is:

Art Sla + Cab

or

Powered wedge

I've read that wedges don't do well in a band context, which is where I will be using the Axe Fx most...is this the case??

I've read that wedges don't do well in a band context, which is where I will be using the Axe Fx most...is this the case??
Depends on style of music and stage volume... I used an Atomic FRFR for stage monitoring and send main signal to FOH. I do NOT use the Atomic as a backline amp, as we have a PA (about 6400w), and it's job is to pump the sound out front. :) YMMV

Depends on style of music and stage volume... I used an Atomic FRFR for stage monitoring and send main signal to FOH. I do NOT use the Atomic as a backline amp, as we have a PA (about 6400w), and it's job is to pump the sound out front. :) YMMV

Yea, I always play with a precent good PA system...I think the Axe + Powered wedge would be a good setup for me. Not as much of a hassle either. And I can use the Axe to its full potential.

Back
Top Bottom